PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave: Next & Star Trek Discovery

Topster-71
05-21-2017, 01:48 AM
In the past a number of people have suggested that the next incarnation of Lightwave is involved in the latest Star Trek TV series. So here is the latest trailer. I hope LW plays a big part of the FX. Would make great marking material to launch the all new 3D app. Fingers crossed.

https://youtu.be/UoV3kc05Nwc

Wickedpup
05-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Read on the Lightwiki facebook group that the VFX work was moved from LA to Canada and that LW wasnīt involved in the show anymore.....

50one
05-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Yup.

ianr
05-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Yup.

Could U point me to that Wiki Post?

50one
05-21-2017, 08:17 AM
I kbow nothing about FB post as I don't have the account there...butif you look around there's plenty of articles saying about show being postponed, havibg troubles abd eventually moved to different studios.

prometheus
05-21-2017, 08:25 AM
so those ads looking for lighwave people was abandoned..or did the folks need to adjust to other software?

and for the trailer, I donīt like it, to much of the stuff looks too much cgi compositing cut out styled..and itīs not even very well done either, guess that is what happens with tight schedules etc, though I can speak for the actual show in general since I havenīt seen it obviously.

Marander
05-21-2017, 08:34 AM
so those ads looking for lighwave people was abandoned..or did the folks need to adjust to other software?

and for the trailer, I donīt like it, to much of the stuff looks too much cgi compositing cut out styled..and itīs not even very well done either, guess that is what happens...

... when counting on LW LOL

Maybe troubles with the software WERE the reason, I mean there must have been some serious issues. Or the artists were just not capable of pulling it off. Or on a more serious note maybe just management failures (like it happens so often).

rustythe1
05-21-2017, 08:52 AM

and for the trailer, I donīt like it, to much of the stuff looks too much cgi compositing cut out styled..and itīs not even very well done either, guess that is what happens with tight schedules etc, though I can speak for the actual show in general since I havenīt seen it obviously.

yes, some of the artists that were working on it posted on their personal sites that they all got laid off half way through, sounds like they were not happy with the look of it,

50one
05-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Ooopsie double post

50one
05-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Well truth be told I wasn't​ surprised It ain't babylon5 times anymore

Wickedpup
05-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Could U point me to that Wiki Post?

on the Lightwiki facebook group, posted may 18th, "Some Lightwave in there I hope?!".

samurai_x
05-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Cheaper in canada

https://s15.postimg.org/tw5rqoygr/Capture.jpg

Topster-71
05-22-2017, 03:14 AM
Gutted at the lightwave team has been dropped. Once Next is out we should all team up and make a awesome project/show reel to promote LW. Do our bit for the software we love.

ianr
05-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Tragedik Magik Mr.Powers Tragedik Magik

Seems like ' Iron Sky' in reverse but much

more media damage: Care to comment Mr.Powers?

Or should the abandoned LW artists rock up here!

prometheus
05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Gutted at the lightwave team has been dropped. Once Next is out we should all team up and make a awesome project/show reel to promote LW. Do our bit for the software we love.

Depends on the salery for that kind of marketing work.

The best is if they release it as soon as possible and for free, then they donīt have to pay us a dime in salery and they would get loads of reels made for free, how it all ads up in the end...is up for speculation:D

prometheus
05-25-2017, 07:40 AM
... when counting on LW LOL

Maybe troubles with the software WERE the reason, I mean there must have been some serious issues. Or the artists were just not capable of pulling it off. Or on a more serious note maybe just management failures (like it happens so often).

I donīt think that is the problem with Lightwave or any other 3d software really unless it has really crappy render engine, and lightwave isnīt crappy, by cg cutouts I mean the emergence of using various cg sets..sure I have scene bad stuff from lightwave based stuff such as defiance and I really didnīt like the sets in Battlestar galactica either unfortunately, despite the wow guttering from the market divisions or from some people behind he development of Lightwave.

I believe itīs a matter of how tight the schedule is and the lack of good compositing artists, since it is in my eyes mostly a matter of mismatch between lighting, color, depth of field between the layers they composit, if they could manage all the scenes in one go in 3d environment, that would be way more realistic, but also pretty much unrealistic in time handling and what the computers and software is able to handle, thus often there seem to be many 3d layers rendered seperately and then composited together, and if there isnīgood compositing artist, that would fail...you could probably adjust a lot of the 3d raw material if it isnīt matching..but it goes only so far.

So no..I wouldnīt blame the software Lightwave itself, more the sign of the times to spit out good material in very little short time span, and lack of people who can do that in such short time.

If practical I would take any real set before a cg set at anytime...but that isnīt always practical is it.

in some of the ending scenes we can see a character in astro suit, and it is supposed to have a space background, but that looks horrible, like a cut out doll in to a background that doelsnīt have enough depth of field within itself and itīs various elements, and apart from that the depth of field in relation to the astro figure isnīt working for my eyes, neither does the lighting,.

prometheus
05-25-2017, 09:53 AM
They could have hired some blender artist and the crash course of space vfx elements...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8XxmqSP90

Or go with the guys at videocopilot and after effects and the space elements they made for the actual star treck movies, but considering those guys may be to expensive...blender might have been an option :)
Then again all that work the blender guys did seem to have taken months in preparation, and that may have been a luxury the discovery edition of star trek didnīt have? or it may perhaps have been some other variable that wasnīt feasable.

50one
05-25-2017, 10:26 AM
I know it's down to artist but boy, that's why I said that Babylon5 times, vhs and 720x560 resolution are gone. LW engine albeit good is nowhere near vray, Arnold, Modo or Octane in terms of shading and speed. The initial teaser was rendered in LW at least that's my impression if ot was something else than it was amateurish job, apologies cause some of yous probably worked on it but let's be honest it looked bad, looked like something from the 90s.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I suspect LW group is well aware of the competition and committed to making the new renderer the best it can be...with available brains and resources. The massively improved viewport performance, free render nodes and Arnold-inspired updates to an already excellent nodal shading engine are going to put LW Next in a surprisingly strong position to steal back market share IMO.

Of course, it helps tremendously that Autodesk is penalizing their longtime loyal customers with exponentially increased maintenance fees.

50one
05-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Yeah, but given the imminent...release shouldn't we be seeing some of that Arnold inspired renderer in action I mean someone os missing the key factor here...TIME.

If they releasing new renderer it takes time to master and implement...uet they keeping it quiet, like it's gonna be 'flock the switch A for beautiful interior, flick B switch for space scene - pop! Here's your render in 4K with all the passes"...we're getting passes right!? Cause it's production renderer apparently.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-25-2017, 01:23 PM
While no pass management in terms of editing and saving variations of scene files , there does seem to be relatively comprehensive, user-friendly output options, which is arguably step 1. Pass management needs to be priority.

50one
05-31-2017, 02:06 AM
some "behind the scenes" info from ST Discovery episode http://2cgvfx.com/quality-matters/

prometheus
05-31-2017, 10:54 AM
some "behind the scenes" info from ST Discovery episode http://2cgvfx.com/quality-matters/

quite boring site, not much to see from their site, their porfolio is kind of hidden if you donīt get a password..duh.
I get it ..they use super duper expensive scanners, then let some skilled artist retop on modo, so thatīs it.

Nicolas Jordan
06-04-2017, 09:57 AM
When the Canadian dollar is weak vs the US dollar like it is now more businesses and productions especially American based ones move to Canada to save money. The funny thing is a bunch just finished closing up shop here not long ago to move productions back to the US.

Davewriter
06-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Word is that after BAD fan reaction at a couple of Cons & the same at some test screenings, a LOT of changes are being called for.
There is also a "What should it look like?" argument going on.
Is CBS keeping with the Original SeriesTrek timeline - or is it a reboot?
Seems as if they need to go TOS because those are the rights they own. But all that existing "History" seems so... confining.
A reboot offers the out as well as letting them have flashy tech long before Kirk could.
But it does seem a Mess.
Netflix seems about ready to ask for their $ back, which was close to the entire (original) production costs.

MichaelT
06-09-2017, 12:06 AM
What it should look like? Between Enterprise series, and the ST reboot. That is what the viewers expect. They don't expect the style to look like the 60s.

wingzeta
06-09-2017, 12:19 AM
As far as I know, Discovery takes place before TOS Kirk, etc. The JJ Abrams movie starts in the same original timeline, until Spock and those Romulans travel back in time, killing baby Kirk's father, changing the TOS timeline as the movie begins. If discovery takes place before the birth of Kirk, it is still in the same timeline as TOS and JJ timelines, just as Abraham Lincoln was once the president in both timelines. I'll get off my nerdy soapbox now.

MichaelT
06-09-2017, 12:40 AM
:) timeline is one thing.. that I have no problems with. The style the series from the 60s had is one out of the time it was made. This version should not look like that... the viewers of today have much higher expectations than that. From the viewers then (and now) we're still talking about the future, and it should look as such.

wingzeta
06-09-2017, 01:38 AM
Agree it should have modern look. The over use of lens flares in the trailer made it look like they were trying to emulate the JJ movies. In the end, if the script is good, it will be good, if it is bad, it will be bad. It is a funded studio production, so production values will fall somewhere in the acceptable range, even if they are not perfect.

MichaelT
06-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I think JJ bought the lens flare package from Videocopilot, and just fell in love with them for some reason.. hahaha.

ianr
06-09-2017, 08:52 AM
... when counting on LW LOL (VODOO BOYZ)

Maybe troubles with the software WERE the reason, NOPE!
I mean there must have been some serious issues. NOPE!
Or the artists were just not capable of pulling it off. NOPE!

Or on a more serious note maybe just management failures (like it happens so often). YES!!!

FIRSTLY I WISH TO APOLOGISE on being too harsh too quickly
on my last Post in this thread to Mr. Powers.

I have pieced together from various reports over the past weeks
from poeple in the know & involved

A) It WAS NOT LWĢDG's Fault, LW was working Okay.

B) It WAS NOT the LW Artist's fault either

C) The first official comments where as always, lawyer correct which is what you
should get from L.A. nothing one could sue over.
YET IT SEEMS that right at the commissioning top between the Suits & the Helmer
there where BIG disagreements over most things.
Yes, Style look was a sticking point, so a new broom was applied.

D)The decision to shoot the 'General & his Officers' came from the Top after the
Canadian Option Restructure Conference was tabled in the Suits meetings.

So basically we did have the real story in parts, here & there, but due to the lateness
of LightWave NeXT's arrival, I & others thought the worse !

Don't ask me for names ,cos people gotta get future work out there!
I feel sad that bad luck & mismangement in helmering areas has hit
LightWave yet again.

Thank you to everyone who got back to me, I hope this post is some Solace.

And P.S. It ain't in Cinema 4d either (lol).

jasonwestmas
06-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Slowness is usually management issues. Not that its ever easy to be a gm or proficient leader.

Topster-71
06-21-2017, 08:56 AM
For those who are StarTrek fans & entertainment issues only. Here a link to the latest news & extened preview here in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/netflix-star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-the-walking-dead-jason-isaacs-the-voyage-home-a7800381.html

samurai_x
09-29-2017, 12:15 AM
Wow the show looks really good. There are a lot of lensflares though.
One of the best space battle scenes on tv imho.

samurai_x
09-29-2017, 10:36 PM
Mostly hard surface, rigid animation. Could've been done in lightwave but not.

https://vimeo.com/234955320

https://vimeo.com/234955320