PDA

View Full Version : Using Skype for a remote presenter (Tricaster NDI NOT TalkShow)

lance.a.simon
05-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Greetings!

OK, so I've got a show coming up that requires a remote presenter, maybe 2. I can't afford TalkShow right now so am planning to use a studio laptop running NDI Scan Converter with Skype feeding into a Tricaster input. Do I have this setup correct?

- Remote presenter(s) login into my Skype session. I make sure thay use a headset/mic so no feedback loop.

- In the studio we feed the audio/video from Skype to the Tricaster through NDI.

- For the on-screen moderator we connect a USB Logitech tabletop mic (like this one http://a.co/fLHkBr1) so they can talk to the Skype folks, and we mute the speakers, thus the moderator hears the Skype audio through the studio monitors.

What am I missing? I realize this is not as slick as TalkShow but that investment (in hardware and complexity) must wait a little while...

Thank you, friends!!

(BTW if there's a Jar article on this and I'm not finding it please gimme a link to that)

Lance :dance:

kanep
05-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Are you planning on sending video back to the Skype user? NDI Transmit is a pretty inexpensive way to do this, then you can also send the program audio to the Skype user as well instead of having to use an USB microphone.

lance.a.simon
05-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Hey there Kane,

Hmm, now you've got my attention! I've already got NDI Transmit installed in the studio on one workstation -- I've used it to pipe the tricaster output into various webinar platforms (webex, etc.) -- so you're saying to use NDI Transmit as the A/V input to Skype from the studio (that part I get) but also have NDI Transmit act as the bridge to bring the Skype remote A/V into the tricaster??

I've only used NDI Transmit to take OUTPUT from the studio into an external system... but I think yur saying I can get the remote Skype audio/video into the studio using NDI Transmit.

Pray tell, a little more detail on this promising option, pleez & thank-you!

Lance

SBowie
05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
-- so you're saying to use NDI Transmit as the A/V input to Skype from the studio (that part I get) but also have NDI Transmit act as the bridge to bring the Skype remote A/V into tHe TriCaster ... (snip)... but I think yur saying I can get the remote Skype audio/video into the studio using NDI Transmit.I'm quite certain that's not what Kane is saying, sorry.

kanep
05-20-2017, 09:46 PM
NDI Transmit if your way to get output from the TriCaster into Skype, make sure you setup an audio mix-minus so that the Skype user doesn't have their audio routed back to themselves.

For Skype output into the TriCaster you would use NDI Scan Converter.

I have an old white paper that discusses how to do this using iVGA Pro along with some other apps. It is greatly simplified with NDI Transmit and NDI Scan Converter, but the concepts in the white paper are similar. You can check it out to see if it helps you at all.
http://bit.ly/kanesworld

lance.a.simon
05-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much, Kane. In your copious free time (!) it would be great to update that article using NDI Transmit and NDI Scan Converter. TalkShow is amazing but it also adds significant complexity and cost to a lil' studio like ours.

What I need to do now is play around with this in the studio. I don't really grok how to configure the mix-minus using these tools but who knows maybe I'll figger it out!!

BTW -- it looks like TC1 has TalkShow embedded into it, which make a lot of sense... I wonder if someday this upgraded architecture will finds it's way down to the 400 and 8000 series... heck I can dream!

kanep
05-21-2017, 03:16 PM
I don't know if TalkShow would add significant complexity, it should make it simpler. I'll have to see if I can find time to update the Skype document, but with Skype TX now intergraded into the new systems, it is really simple to connect a Skype caller into your show.

Anthony Hunt
09-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Sorry to come to this a bit late in the day, but I'll try and explain our news setup. We often use Skype for our in the field reporters, without a talkshow.

So, we have the Skype call come into a PC in the gallery. This has the NDI scan converter on it and we pipe that into tricaster on NDI. We get the Skype audio too. Apart from the random updates to the full screen watermarks etc, this is fine.

For the return, the PC also has Connect Pro and Transmit, which returns a feed from tricaster to the Skype call.

Now the return feed is a little special. I use one of the outs (out 3 from memory as its only an NDI feed) and send program video down it. For audio I use an aux feed. That particular feed is made up from the presenters mic, ddrs and a mic we have in the gallery. We have to watch the volumes slightly because of feedback, but generally have few problems.

fgolman
09-26-2017, 12:23 PM
We're doing very nearly the same thing successfuly for some time for remote guests for our weekly PBS political talk show. We've even played around with the idea of our host being out of town and anchoring from his vacation spot! We've had guests in from other countries, with no more latency then in a conventional telephone call.

The biggest factor in any Skype situation is what's NOT under your direct control, at the remote end. I usually send new remote guests the link to the article in the Tip Jar as it explains how to light nicely, etc, for total video novices.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

AElli
10-01-2017, 05:56 AM
Now you can leave Skype out the equation...

https://www.medialooks.com/ndi

It's a master / client application allowing NDI streams to ' bridge ' the interwebs.
Great for remote guests (using a webcam & connect ) and / or remote desktop capture ( using scan converter )
Or remote reporting using one of its inbuilt SDKs for SDI - HDMI capture cards.

A.

ianr
10-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Now you can leave Skype out the equation...

It's a master / client application allowing NDI streams to ' bridge ' the interwebs.
Great for remote guests (using a webcam & connect ) and / or remote desktop capture ( using scan converter )
Or remote reporting using one of its inbuilt SDKs for SDI - HDMI capture cards.

A.

AEii- hm'maybe finally a 'smooth operator'?

have you tested yet, let me know?

AElli
10-01-2017, 03:43 PM
AEii- hm'maybe finally a 'smooth operator'?

have you tested yet, let me know?

Yes it runs great... So far we've tested remote desktop, and remote production using vmix (ndi)
back to out main set-up . Have repurposed an older i7 with a couple decklink cards running remote
connecting back with the media looks app.

Stream
10-03-2017, 11:23 AM

And it's Fritz Approved!

Anthony Hunt
10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
2nded! Or 3rded now?