PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Modeler & Layout working together

Gordon
05-18-2017, 07:05 PM
The Problem: If I run Modeler, I can't also start up Layout and vice versa. Of course I can't send objects from Modeler to Layout through the hub neither. I can't switch to either program from the other. I have to close the open program and then the other one starts up. In fact, if I tried several times to switch to or open layout while Modeler is running; once I close it, the other one opens up and when I close it, it opens up again, (for as many times as I tried before giving up).

What I've tried: Uninstalled every LightWave installation, (9, 10, 11 & 2015), rebooted and installed only 2015. Didn't work, so I hunted down and deleted every LW*.cfg files on my local drives, rebooted and tried again. Didn't work.

This works on another computer that we have, so I know that there must be some answer. Anyone help me out?

Sensei
05-18-2017, 09:29 PM
You can try reinstall the whole Windows OS, after backing up everything and full format.. :)

But how are you trying to run Layout? f.e. you run Modeler... are you clicking on button in Modeler to switch app.. or you're going to folder where is .exe with Layout, and double clicking on it.. ?
I am never using Layout/Modeler right top corner buttons, and have shortcuts to either one attached in Menu.
Did you try using -0 switch in shortcut icon to disable hub, to see whether it helps to run them together at least.. ?

madno
05-18-2017, 10:36 PM
I had a similar issue.
What helped was to uninstall LW -> delete the Lightwave Firewall rules -> reinstall LW
If a personal Firewall is running there should be no blocking of the LW executables.
Maybe it helps in your case as well.

Gordon
05-19-2017, 06:17 AM
You can try reinstall the whole Windows OS, after backing up everything and full format.. :)
It's nice to see such a good sense of humor. I'll probably re-install LW 11.5 instead of re-installing everything else.

But how are you trying to run Layout? f.e. you run Modeler... are you clicking on button in Modeler to switch app.. or you're going to folder where is .exe with Layout, and double clicking on it.. ?
It will not work either way.

I am never using Layout/Modeler right top corner buttons, and have shortcuts to either one attached in Menu.
Did you try using -0 switch in shortcut icon to disable hub, to see whether it helps to run them together at least.. ?
That would be the best suggestion. I appears the Hub is actually getting in the way.

Gordon
05-19-2017, 06:20 AM
I had a similar issue.
What helped was to uninstall LW -> delete the Lightwave Firewall rules -> reinstall LW
If a personal Firewall is running there should be no blocking of the LW executables.
I will give that a try first and if no joy, I'll try disabling the hub.

Markc
05-19-2017, 06:25 AM
When you try and open the second application, what happens?
Does it try to open and fail, or just not responsive.
Also, have you looked in the system log, not sure where it is in windows, but there will be an entry at the time you try to open it, with some kind of error message.
This may glean some info.

Gordon
05-19-2017, 08:18 AM
When you try and open the second application, what happens?
Does it try to open and fail, or just not responsive.
It is not responsive until I close the first one, then it opens. It will even send over the model I'm on into layout. Hmmm, actually, it's not that bad. I just discovered that when I'm in layout and try to switch to modeler, it fails, BUT when I exit layout and start modeler manually, it starts up with the last object I was working on, automatically, some of the time.

Gordon
05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
I had a similar issue.

I will give that a try first and if no joy, I'll try disabling the hub.
That didn't work - no change at all in the operation of LightWave.

Windows Advanced Firewall had four entries for Lightwave, two "allow" and two "block", so I:

Deleted all four firewall entries
reboot
Install a fresh copy of LW 2015.3
Reboot again
Copy my license file to the LW bin directory
remove the LW Modeler and Layout Icons
Use only the Layout.exe and Modeler.exe from the install directory to start the programs

and now after the latest install - NO ENTRIES!
(And still no change in being able to switch between programs using either the hub or the upper right buttons, nor does the system allow having both programs open at the same time.)

MonroePoteet
05-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Under Windows, if you double-click the Hub icon in the System Tray, it brings up a status panel showing processes, memory blocks, etc. You might compare the contents of this status window between the failing system and the one that works. It may be that the configuration strings Hub has for starting / stopping Layout and Modeler have bad paths in them or some such.

You might also try manually starting the Hub with Adminstrator privs to see if it's a protection problem. Go to the C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 11.5\bin folder, find Hub.EXE, right-click on it and select "Run as Adminstrator". If it then works OK, it may be a protection problem on one or more of the Newtek folders.

Just kinda shootin' in the dark here, though...

mTp