PDA

View Full Version : No video out on BOB!

cvwcorp
12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Well, out of nowhere, our BOB's output stopped working. It won't output composite, component, or S-Video, but it will output audio.

All inputs work just fine; it's just the video out that won't.

Naturally, this happened right in front of an important client...

Ideas?

Rich Deustachio
12-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Go into task manager and shut of winrtme.exe then reboot. Sometimes you have to do this several times for BOB to show up. You will know it worked when the BOB red input light one lights up.

cvwcorp
12-18-2003, 12:40 PM
We did try that, but actually BOB is working. It's just the output that isn't working. Inputs & switcher work fine.

Jim Capillo
12-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Can you see the output on a TVision?

cvwcorp
12-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Yes, we can.

The output was working fine for an edit session. Then, when a client walked in wanting to transfer something to DV, we connected an S-Video cable from a free output on BOB to the camera. At that point, there was no longer an output signal coming from BOB. None of the outputs work at all now, even going straight from BOB to a monitor, and we've tried everything. :-(

Is there any way that connecting a cable could have shorted something out? There is a lot of static electricity around here right now.

Jim Capillo
12-18-2003, 03:02 PM
You've probably hit the nail on the head - that's exactly what my next question was gonna be. It's pretty easy to zap anything electronic with energy like this floating around. Did you hear a snap?

I would guess that your next stop will have to be your dealer. :(

Jim Capillo
12-18-2003, 03:02 PM
duplicate :rolleyes:

cvwcorp
12-18-2003, 04:26 PM
I didn't hear (or feel) a snap, but there's just no other explanation that I can think of.

:(

Jim Capillo
12-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Well, you'll definitely be able to eliminate things at your dealer by swapping things out.

dml
12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
One time with the system turned on we plugged a camera into BOB via it's Y/C cable and lost our video output. We rebooted, got a strange error message, and still didn't have video output. Later, when we turned the system back on everything worked fine. No real explanation of went wrong, but I do recommend plugging video cables, especially Y/C cables, into BOB when the system is powered off.

As a dealer, I have seen some BOBs that had "tight" Y/C inputs that made it a bit difficult plugging in Y/C cables. Maybe the cable didn't go all the way and somehow shorted things out.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

Dan Hong
12-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Try replacing cable #4 with a spare VGA cable. If it's a bad cable it'll be #4 (#3 is input, #4 output, #5 machine connection). If you've got input and I assume lights on the bob, you've probably got a bad or loose cable.

cvwcorp
12-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, now for a new twist...

Now I *can* get S-Video & Composite output, but switching to Component output in Preferences doesn't work; it continues outputing Y/C.

Does that still sound like the VGA cable, or a bug that just popped up?

I'll try the VGA cable tomorrow. Thanks!