PDA

View Full Version : ABF UV Unwrap

tuovni
05-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Hi, Im trying to do a uv unwrap in Modeller. I dont go to other software because I feel is pretty easy what I wanna do. Im using "ABF UV Unwrap" which works ok, but I have to do the unwraping in two or three parts and here is my problem. Each time I do a new proyetion or unwraping in my texture it comes welded and I would like to be put on to the uv texture unweld. So after that I can "weld" or "heal" the way I want.

Thank you very much!

Asticles
05-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Hi,

Try to copy and paste the future island before unwrap (polygons).

Regards.

tuovni
05-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Hi Salvador, sorry I dont know what is the "island" :eek:

Asticles
05-18-2017, 11:53 AM
The island is the group of polygons that on uv map are not connected to other polygons.

Cobalt
05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
One of the things I learned to do recently is to model a character using very distinct surface names for like vest, trousers, shoes, face, hair, etc. I then select each surface group and copy it to its own layer. I then do ABF UV Unwrap for each layer. I copy and paste each UV map back into a master UV map and seem to have much better control over the groups this way.

tuovni
05-18-2017, 03:26 PM
One of the things I learned to do recently is to model a character using very distinct surface names for like vest, trousers, shoes, face, hair, etc. I then select each surface group and copy it to its own layer. I then do ABF UV Unwrap for each layer. I copy and paste each UV map back into a master UV map and seem to have much better control over the groups this way.

This is something Im trying to do but doesnt work for me. The CopyUV or PasteUV doesnt work I dont know why? I do it like you say doing each uv in a diferent layer and gather it in the first layer by doing CopyUV but I dont have luck, when I do PasteUV nothing happen.

Maybe you have an idea why?

jeric_synergy
05-18-2017, 09:56 PM
IIRC, when you make a UV, only the selected polys are added to the map. So, you should be able to do it in phases. I was able to get this (rather useless) UV map by selection only:

However, the 2nd phase reverted the first group back to full UV area, so that had to be done twice.

Now let's see w/ABF: Okay, I got a rather ugly thing, but at least it's not connected. ABF doesn't seem to respect Selection, but I think it DOES respect HIDING. So you can HIDE stuff in phases.
Not sure how helpful that is, but I really never UV at all.

tuovni
05-18-2017, 10:48 PM
IIRC, when you make a UV, only the selected polys are added to the map. So, you should be able to do it in phases. I was able to get this (rather useless) UV map by selection only:

However, the 2nd phase reverted the first group back to full UV area, so that had to be done twice.

Now let's see w/ABF: Okay, I got a rather ugly thing, but at least it's not connected. ABF doesn't seem to respect Selection, but I think it DOES respect HIDING. So you can HIDE stuff in phases.
Not sure how helpful that is, but I really never UV at all.

Thank you Jeric but I see you have the same problem as me, when you make for second time the uv to keep unwrapping it in the texture the second proyection comes linked with the vertex from the poligons on the texture.

Im afraid Im not clear. :o

wingzeta
05-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Hey, I think this video will help you. It is part of a tutorial series on modeling a dolphin. The part about AFB UV starts at about 36:00min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqB_xyAkSaM

A good series of videos if you are learning LW. Should solve your problem.

djwaterman
05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
When you paste a UV into another UV map, you have to manually type in the name of the UV map you want to paste into, and the spelling. spacing and upper/lower case must be exactly the same. Very odd workflow but that's how it is.

jeric_synergy
05-19-2017, 01:24 AM
Thank you Jeric but I see you have the same problem as me, when you make for second time the uv to keep unwrapping it in the texture the second proyection comes linked with the vertex from the poligons on the texture.

Im afraid Im not clear. :o

Well, if you look at the bigger expanded picture, you'll see it isn't actually linked, unless you are talking about discontinuous points, the red ones. But there's a clear gap in there between the two islands. You can always move them further apart.

For me, the hard part is: the ABF of the complete sphere is very pretty, but once you HIDE the pole polys, it gets a lot uglier.
+++++++++++
Tried to recreate my first effort, and it's just too hard. This is not the UV tool you're looking for.

Cobalt
05-19-2017, 06:27 AM
When you paste a UV into another UV map, you have to manually type in the name of the UV map you want to paste into, and the spelling. spacing and upper/lower case must be exactly the same. Very odd workflow but that's how it is.

Yes, it seems like such a simple thing but it took me a few tries to figure this out. But it ends up being a very efficient way to manage UV maps.

jeric_synergy
05-19-2017, 05:44 PM
If by "very odd", dj meant "utter crap", yes.

chikega
05-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Gosh I haven't UV mapped in LW for ages and it hasn't changed, you'll definitely want to consider downloading the PLG plugins especially if you're going to be packing the UV's and want the polygonal islands to reference the size of the object properly...

wingzeta
05-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Yeah PLG UV plugins are the way to go.

jwiede
05-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Yeah PLG UV plugins are the way to go.

Or just do it in another app with _much_ better tools, such as 3DCoat, MODO, or headus. Even with PLG, LW's UV capabilities are quite basic compared to those other packages.

jeric_synergy
05-20-2017, 07:45 PM
IMO, 3dCoat is a no-brainer for LW users. The UV tools ALONE are worth the low-ish cost.

tuovni
05-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Thank you very much to all for your help and knowledge, Ive learned a lot with your advices! Finally I could make a workflow with the LWs native tools and posibilities.

1) Unweld all the parts I want to unwrap from the master geometry, but never change their position.

2) I hide all but the part I want to unwrap.

3) If I have to make a cut for the unwrapping I do it selecting the edges where I want the cut.

4) Finally I use ABF tool to unwrap the geometry and the callculation it do by defoult is pretty good.

5) For final I weld averything again with the tool "Automatic Merge"

PD. The PLG uv plugins there arnt anymore in the newtek page. I someone have a link that works please drop it.

jeric_synergy
05-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Glad you found a method. Perhaps you will find this useful:

IF you have some points you do NOT wish to be rewelded using "Automatic Merge" ( aka MERGE POINTS), you can make an Endomorph, perhaps named "NOMERGE", and move the Unwelded points to a new location (as a practical matter, you'd probably move an entire group). MERGE only works on points that are coincident in EVERY Endomorph, including the BASE.

You'll never really use that morph as a morph, it's only function is to prevent the accidental re-welding of the points in question.

This is especially useful in team situation, or to just establish a set of points that will never get rewelded/Merged.

tuovni
05-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks, saved in the method! ;)