PDA

View Full Version : Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

SBowie
11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
...Only flip side to that is that you will not see when you are being made fun of by my "personal attacks and ugly remarks" :rolleyes: :screwy:Which will not be happening from here on out ... right?:hammer:

erikals
11-09-2017, 04:09 PM
thanks.

i will not comment further.

KurtF
11-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Havenīt someone tried that already? Dumping their modeler, advertising themselves as being an animation/vfx application with enormous poly-crunching capabilities? See EIAS. (And where are they today? Microscopic user base. And over 4 years into a complete blackout and serious rewrite by the looks of it)

I didn't end up buying Lightwave 3D. I joined the forum during the Core announcements, as I thought it looked like a promising choice. Too bad it didn't happen. I also have an EIAS dongle around here somewhere, but haven't used it in years. The silence from the new owners is very bad, as is the silence from the Lightwave group. EIAS ignored their animation package, in favor of years of development of their rendering engine. Sound familiar? Lightwave apparently also kept patching their aging code for years. Now both groups are struggling to do a deep rewrite. It's a race to see which of the two huge dinosaurs blinks first!

Wickedpup
11-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Which will not be happening from here on out ... right?:hammer:
Why? Do you consider them personal attacks and ugly remarks?

Schwyhart
11-09-2017, 06:24 PM
t-minus 53 days before I get off this train...unless it's released.

SBowie
11-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Why? Do you consider them personal attacks and ugly remarks?if everyone exercises discretion and a modicum of courtesy, we'll never know.

hrgiger
11-09-2017, 07:41 PM
For me personally, there is no cut off date, NT can take as long as they want as far as I'm concerned, I'm not waiting around for them. I'm going on as if they're not working on anything at all at this point. Modeler has pretty much been replaced by Modo and Layout 2015 is what it is and all my other apps are moving forward. If they ever release LightWave Next (and I'm really starting to doubt that they actually will), I'll decide then if I will upgrade again.

Thing is, been using LightWave for almost 20 years, anyone who says they're switching to another app is just being dramatic in my opinion. There's no need for all that noise, just buy another damn app and use it in addition to LightWave or use another app and never install LW again for all anyone cares. You're not getting a lot of money for your LightWave version anyway and there's no reason to give up an app your otherwise familiar with that you may find use for at some point in the future or have need for, maybe for a conversion, for pipeline, or whatever. Nobody cares you're leaving LightWave for Houdini and nobody certainly cares you're leaving to go play with eevee in blender.

Wickedpup
11-09-2017, 08:10 PM
if everyone exercises discretion and a modicum of courtesy, we'll never know.

Been doing that all along, so I guess I can relax then........ :D

Snosrap
11-09-2017, 09:31 PM
It seems there must be only two scenarios to this whole situation: 1. Something is unfolding in regards to LW as a business. (i.e. sale or legal issues.) or 2. The devs are just killing it with new features and a new interface and they absolutely don't want anything leaked out until they release it with huge fanfare. :)

samurai_x
11-09-2017, 09:39 PM
It seems there must be only two scenarios to this whole situation: 1. Something is unfolding in regards to LW as a business. (i.e. sale or legal issues.) or 2. The devs are just killing it with new features and a new interface and they absolutely don't want anything leaked out until they release it with huge fanfare. :)

Someone from Newtek already said there's no ui changes coming.
I'm guessing its lack of dev resources that's causing the delay. Team too small and part timers.

hypersuperduper
11-10-2017, 12:21 AM
There has to have been some sort of plan in place to ramp up capacity in order to take advantage of the new mesh engine. Otherwise there’s no real point in this new foundation, and they would have been better off just fixing bugs and bolting on new features to sell us a new version since the general consensus here is that lwgroup seems currently too small to build On NEXT. Some sort of acquisition, merger or other infusion of capital is the missing ingredient. Indeed, the blog and all that may well have been just as much a way to attract that sort of attention and not customer interest. Maybe that’s why it just sort of stopped, maybe it did what it was supposed to do (or not). The delay may well be simply due to limited resources, but my guess is the silence is related to structural changes within LWgroup. Like maybe whatever plan they had is working or it’s not and they’ve changed it. who knows.

Marander
11-10-2017, 01:18 AM

If it's the second reason (killing it with new features) then they are beyond help because

- they could have just taken 15 minutes time to write something in the blog (not about feature details but that they decided to go that route and the release would be coming later due more functionality / changes)
- you cannot add features until release day, that would be inefficient because you constantly need to perform regression and beta tests.
- you would need to add demo material, tutorials and documentation for the new features
- the leaked info from that one studio showed LW 2017.0 that looks exactly like 2015 (at a glance)
- they should be smart enough to know that their repeated silence is not good for their reputation and user base
- they have stated otherwise in March 2016 where they said they're close to release

Marander
11-10-2017, 01:21 AM
Someone from Newtek already said there's no ui changes coming.
I'm guessing its lack of dev resources that's causing the delay. Team too small and part timers.

I see it the same way but I wonder what the LW UI / UX designer did for last couple of years. Designing a deformer menu? Changing the texturing interface? Adding some other buttons and menus to dialog boxes? Wow.

MarcusM
11-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Try to create positive theory.

David Ikeda proved (on FB) that he can create new Modeler based on new mesh engine. He is not posting news from one year. So LW3DG and he apologize each other, shake hands like a man and working together.

I can't wait, 100M poly model editing in 60fps yeah

cagey5
11-10-2017, 01:25 AM
@ #2263
As you presumably have no insight in to how he has been occupied, that comes across as quite a mean spirited comment.

Amerelium
11-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Hear, hear.

For me personally, there is no cut off date, NT can take as long as they want as far as I'm concerned, I'm not waiting around for them. I'm going on as if they're not working on anything at all at this point. Modeler has pretty much been replaced by Modo and Layout 2015 is what it is and all my other apps are moving forward. If they ever release LightWave Next (and I'm really starting to doubt that they actually will), I'll decide then if I will upgrade again.

Thing is, been using LightWave for almost 20 years, anyone who says they're switching to another app is just being dramatic in my opinion. There's no need for all that noise, just buy another damn app and use it in addition to LightWave or use another app and never install LW again for all anyone cares. You're not getting a lot of money for your LightWave version anyway and there's no reason to give up an app your otherwise familiar with that you may find use for at some point in the future or have need for, maybe for a conversion, for pipeline, or whatever. Nobody cares you're leaving LightWave for Houdini and nobody certainly cares you're leaving to go play with eevee in blender.

sami
11-10-2017, 03:02 AM
Try to create positive theory.

David Ikeda proved (on FB) that he can create new Modeler based on new mesh engine. He is not posting news from one year. So LW3DG and he apologize each other, shake hands like a man and working together.

I can't wait, 100M poly model editing in 60fps yeah

If we're fantasizing - then why not 200M polygon model editing and animation at 90fps in Virtual Reality?

MarcusM
11-10-2017, 03:31 AM
Complaining is destructive on both sides. Working bad especially on creative peoples. However to not be only victims in this situation i think quiet protest could be good step from our side.

tyrot
11-10-2017, 04:49 AM
no need to complain they will release it when it is ready...

one can have a job = a client= or a hobby. hobbiests may complain all day ... it is ok .. they have time to do that ..
my business life depends on lightwave ... i am grateful for this amazing software... it still gives me amazing motivation ... and passion for learning more.. if i need another tool for that particular job .. of course i will buy it or rent it.

so new version can come out whenever they feel ready. i am happy with what i have today..

c.1
11-10-2017, 10:32 AM
hobbiests may complain all day ... it is ok .. they have time to do that.

Hey I am a hobbiest, and I want to complain about you saying that hobbiest have time to complain. I don’t have time ...to....complain...............ahhhhh..........da mmit....never mind. ;)

jeric_synergy
11-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Hey I am a hobbiest, and I want to complain about you saying that hobbiest have time to complain. I don’t have time ...to....complain...............ahhhhh..........da mmit....never mind. ;)

LOL. :ohmy:

Seriously, there's plenty of work to do with THE EXISTING SOFTWARE. Go over to Spinland's modeling challenge and enter, that'll keep hands busy. Sheesh. Effing zombie thread.

CaptainMarlowe
11-10-2017, 01:06 PM

one can have a job = a client= or a hobby. hobbiests may complain all day ... it is ok .. they have time to do that ..
my business life depends on lightwave ... i am grateful for this amazing software... it still gives me amazing motivation ... and passion for learning more.. if i need another tool for that particular job .. of course i will buy it or rent it.

so new version can come out whenever they feel ready. i am happy with what i have today..

You know, being a hobbyist doesn't imply being unemployed without any social life... I'm a hobbyist, senior executive and with four children, so no, I don't have much more time than any guy using LW for is business life. No time to complain either. The few spare time I can manage to go with is mainly used messing with LW. :)
But I'm agreed with all the rest of your post.

hrgiger
11-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Bryphi replied to your comment on youtube.

[Moderator's note - link removed]

SBowie
11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
... But enough said about him.Yes, indeed. I can't allow posts discussing someone in personal terms (discuss his work if you like) when he isn't here to defend himself. And since that's not going to happen, I'm going to summarily remove all these references, favorable or otherwise, in a couple of moments. I'd be a little more surgical if I had more time, but I don't, so ...

prometheus
11-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Yes, indeed. I can't allow posts discussing someone in personal terms (discuss his work if you like) when he isn't here to defend himself. And since that's not going to happen, I'm going to summarily remove all these references, favorable or otherwise, in a couple of moments. I'd be a little more surgical if I had more time, but I don't, so ...

Thumbs up..

Rayek
11-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Lightwave Next will appear, or it will not. If it does, we'll see. I am curious how things will pan out, though, and I hope for the best.

GandB
11-12-2017, 07:58 AM
If this thread is starting to get "dry"; here's the new one: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155080-news-about-lightwave-3d-next

Have fun! ;)

ActionBob
11-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Hmm, Aurora. Isn't that where a UFO crashed? :D

If only that were the case.

No, no UFO.

As far as my join date..... That is the date I joined these "new" forums. I was a member of the old one as well... Under a different user name. Took a break from 3d stuff for a couple of years.

A UFO would be awesome....

-Adrian

gar26lw
11-13-2017, 08:04 AM
@ lwg. listen to bryphi. he speaks a lot of sense.