PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem

grafxstudio
05-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Not sure if is that weird or not but not sure how to handle it. I imported a dxf file into lwcad. So its imported itand now I want to extrude it. I haven't figured how to do that correctly. I convert the nurb to probably 2-point polys and try the extrude it gives a second set of 2- point polys just as far apart as it would extrude. So how can I get it to extrude. Need it it to light paint

Danner
05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Clean up the dxf as much as you can in your cad software of choice (we use the free version of draftsight) then in Modeler make sure it's al in one layer, now select it all, then in the lwcad tools look for Curve to LW curve, press enter, now Curve to Poly, enter. Now extrude, then auto merge polygons, as it will generate one polygon on each side of every line. If the detail is too low or too high change the settings when converting the curves using numeric panel.

grafxstudio
05-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Could someone send/ post a video showing how to do this. Can not find several of the steps that was listed in your answer. I have LW 2015.3 and lwcad 5.2. Thanks in advance

Danner
05-23-2017, 02:50 AM
Several of the steps? omg..
I won't make a video but I'll help you with one of the steps.

grafxstudio
05-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Let's come from another angle and tell you want I want to do and see if you can help me figure out what I need to do. I want to use this picture and extrude it. Then "color it" by adding lights to it.

Danner
05-23-2017, 08:28 AM
2 point polys is what you want, but you are not getting 2 poing polys, you are getting a type of LWCAD curves that can't be extruded. For them to be extruded you need to convert those curves to 2point polygons, Try Curve to Polyline first. If that doesn't work try curve to LWcurve, then LWcurve to polyline. Once you have that true polyline you will be able to extrude it. Once extruded use a merge polygons operation because you will get two polygons for every polyline when you extrude. Then you might want to use thicken on the whole thing, but as your piece is quite complex you might need to do it in pieces.

grafxstudio
05-23-2017, 10:07 AM
2 point polys is what you want, but you are not getting 2 poing polys, you are getting a type of LWCAD curves that can't be extruded. For them to be extruded you need to convert those curves to 2point polygons, Try Curve to Polyline first. If that doesn't work try curve to LWcurve, then LWcurve to polyline. Once you have that true polyline you will be able to extrude it. Once extruded use a merge polygons operation because you will get two polygons for every polyline when you extrude. Then you might want to use thicken on the whole thing, but as your piece is quite complex you might need to do it in pieces.

Thank you Danner !!

MonroePoteet
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Here's a LW object which was created using CorelDraw's Bitmaps=>Centerline Trace=>Line Drawing edge detection, followed by using the "Break Apart" for the very complex continuous curve forming the outline. This was saved as EPS, then imported into Modeler using the File=>Import...=>EPS function and saved as LWO.

mTp

grafxstudio
05-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Thank You I really appreciate it