PDA

View Full Version : Weird issue while parenting in Layout

Over
05-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Hi all,

At least weird to me, as Im still learning.:D

See the picture.

Yesterday while parenting bone 2 to bone 1 in layout, bone 2 was aligning all the way up as shown in the picture, which was not the result I expected or wanted.

After a few attempts to understand why that was happening I decided to quit and try today. To my surprise, today I can parent anything without that strange aligning happening, they just stay where they are.

Can someone explain why that was happening?

RudySchneider
05-15-2017, 05:04 PM
The primary purpose of parenting is so that the "child" will follow the motion actions --- translation, rotation --- of the parent. It does NOT automatically align the child to the parent. It's up to you to initially anchor the parent-child relationship.

Consider a helicopter blade. You locate it on the engine shaft and parent it in position. Then, the blade can rotate around and "follow" the engine --- which is parented to the helicopter body --- shaft around.

And when it comes to bones, have you tried "resting?"

Over
05-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but I dont know what resting is yet.

The thing is that the bone was moving up (the original position was down, within the geometry), like the picture show, but today nothing of that is happening, you can parent the bone to the other and it doesnt move. Maybe I had some option active I was not aware of?

jeric_synergy
05-15-2017, 06:46 PM
1) Sounds like you turned off "PARENT IN PLACE" the first day, and it got turned back on the second day. --In the Bad Olde Days, there was no PARENT IN PLACE function, which meant that any pos/rot/scl of the PARENT was added to any existing pos/rot/scl of the Child. This was extremely aggravating, so they added PIP, which automagically compensates for any p/r/s the child might have. (It may actually change the numbers, I don't know, that'd be good to find out.) OCCASIONALLY it's convenient to have the olde behavior, so they made it a switch.

BE WARY that UN-Parenting also relies on the state of the PIP switch. This can also be convenient, if you want an parented object to .....stay?.... when it's unparented. I don't recall which way it works, but it is occasionally helpful.

2) "Resting" -- I saw this same mistake on FB: Resting a bone should have zero effect on any hierarchical mot/rot/scl. Resting relates, TMK, exclusively to DEFORMATION. Basically, it's "At this pos/rot/scl, zero deformation for all the points I can affect."

Over
05-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Thanks jeric_synergy!

Im now pretty sure that I disabled that option testing something and it remained like that until I closed layout, which presumably returned everything to default.

thanks

jeric_synergy
05-16-2017, 12:53 AM
DO try messing about with:

1) moving an object with PIP off, then
1b) make it a Child
2) turning PiP ON
3) unparenting it

and all the variations (4 cases) thereof.

Over
05-16-2017, 11:45 AM
It certainly have an strange behavior, you need to be very careful wherever to enabled or disable it. Also because of the undo function doesnt work there.