PDA

View Full Version : YS Plugins. Anyone tried them?

wingzeta
05-12-2017, 07:15 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that there had been no discussion of the free YS plugins available from D-storm Japan. They were shown in the last newsletter. Some of them look really useful. For instance, YS.PoseClip allows you to save poses with bones, such as open hand to close fist, and then animate them in a panel with sliders, like morphs.

I haven't had a chance to try them yet. As for the lack of discussion, it may be because there is no English documentation yet, or maybe because some of the tools have overlap with other tools people are using. The other issue is that while some of the YS plugins have English UI, some are only Japanese so far. Anyway, if you have tried them, or have time to give them a shot, let us know what you find.

Just to repeat, most of these do have English UI, just no English docs.

You can download, and watch demo videos in Japanese here:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/ysplugin.html

Read the newsletter article here:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/create-great-cel-shading-look-with-ys-plug-ins/

roboman
05-12-2017, 09:40 PM
The page in english:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dstorm.co.jp%2Fdsproducts%2FFre ePlugins%2Fysplugin.html&edit-text=&act=url
Doesn't help with the videos :)

jwiede
05-13-2017, 05:05 PM
And once again the question arises: Why is LW3DG doing so very little to facilitate* exchange of third-party tech between the JP and EN markets? Considering doing so stands to benefit LW sales in both JP- and EN-speaking markets, this seems like yet another missed / squandered LW marketing opportunity.

*: Just pointing out foreign-market plugins, lacking even local-market-language descriptions and details, does NOT qualify as "help" or "facilitation" in any significant, measurable sense. It's almost approaching taunting.

wingzeta
05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
And once again the question arises: Why is LW3DG doing so very little to facilitate* exchange of third-party tech between the JP and EN markets? Considering doing so stands to benefit LW sales in both JP- and EN-speaking markets, this seems like yet another missed / squandered LW marketing opportunity.

*: Just pointing out foreign-market plugins, lacking even local-market-language descriptions and details, does NOT qualify as "help" or "facilitation" in any significant, measurable sense. It's almost approaching taunting.

Yep. It seems like the buttons and docs could be translated without major expense. It would be a nice bump for LW users.

I installed a few to try them. Some of the simple ones can be figured out from watching the videos. I did find that to use YS.PoseClip you have to go to the "Master Plugins" button in the Utilities tab, and "Add Layout or Scene Master" dropdown menu to activate it. It took me some time to find it. If you watch the character kit video you can see how to use it. UI is English except for the mirror panel, which lets you mirror a pose set up from one side of your rig to the other, but it looks simple at least. Seems like a nice way to set up a character for oft repeated motions, like hand movements. It's like combining cyclist, with morph mixer, but for bones. A great tool.

The other part of the character kit YS.CharSelectManager also accessed through the Master Plugins button, lets you make a panel of buttons that represent the different bones or controls of your rig. That way you can select the part you want to control without risking clicking the wrong part of your model, or going through a huge list in the scene editor, or bones list. If I was rigging a character right now, I would give these two a shot, as they look pretty simple, and useful.

papou
05-19-2017, 03:01 PM
i have traduced YS plugin with an Hexadecimal editor. (MadEdit suppot Japanese)
Because this is not with author support, i think i can't share them.
But i was suprised to see inside that a lot of words were traduced in english but just not activated. So i supposed a english version is in the road or hadn't be released.

jeric_synergy
05-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Translating EXISTING plugins to English is a fine place for a Kickstarter program.

wingzeta
05-19-2017, 11:58 PM
i have traduced YS plugin with an Hexadecimal editor. (MadEdit suppot Japanese)
Because this is not with author support, i think i can't share them.
But i was suprised to see inside that a lot of words were traduced in english but just not activated. So i supposed a english version is in the road or hadn't be released.

The plot thickens. Have you had a chance to use the plugins yet? How do you like them?

ianr
05-20-2017, 09:11 AM
and once again the question arises: Why is lw3dg doing so very little to facilitate* exchange of third-party tech between the jp and en markets? Considering doing so stands to benefit lw sales in both jp- and en-speaking markets, this seems like yet another missed / squandered lw marketing opportunity.

*: Just pointing out foreign-market plugins, lacking even local-market-language descriptions and details, does not qualify as "help" or "facilitation" in any significant, measurable sense. It's almost approaching taunting.

Bump 1,000%

Some one should have implemented

(Out of House) Trans of YS before

making the time on Newsletter page

(Foot/Bullet/Wrong target, comes to mind)

Julez4001
05-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Now this ...I don't understand why Rob has not invested in.
I've been preaching this for over a year now.

papou
05-22-2017, 05:56 PM
The plot thickens. Have you had a chance to use the plugins yet? How do you like them?

I Love Them.

ChanKeySetter and ChanKeyDeleter replaces Layout Create and Delete Motion Key. There is several options with an integrated incremented undo system!

AnimKeyIOSave and Load are just amazing. It's not another pose tools. But a way to copy/paste/insert a segment of animation.

PointPosAlign is the only way in LW64 to reorder point when a Morph go wrong. (3DD MeshReknitter is 32bits only. Faster to use btw)

I havn't used the other tools. i have no doubt about their quality.

Must Have.

wingzeta
05-23-2017, 12:10 AM
I Love Them.

ChanKeySetter and ChanKeyDeleter replaces Layout Create and Delete Motion Key. There is several options with an integrated incremented undo system!

AnimKeyIOSave and Load are just amazing. It's not another pose tools. But a way to copy/paste/insert a segment of animation.

PointPosAlign is the only way in LW64 to reorder point when a Morph go wrong. (3DD MeshReknitter is 32bits only. Faster to use btw)

I havn't used the other tools. i have no doubt about their quality.

Must Have.

Sounds great. I don't know much about coding, so I don't know how difficult it would be to translate these. From what you've said, it seems it could be done if someone with the skills, was willing, and maybe a matter of getting permission from the original author, or owner? Since they are free plugins, it seems like just a matter of communication. Anyone in contact with D-storm?

papou
05-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Translating with an Hexa editor is not really hard but you have to write texte with the same number of character as original word or you can easily blow the code.
The problem is that is not a really clean translation.
"Selected Items" can be longer than the original words, so you must write "Sel Items" .. etc...
So it is not very clean.
A better way will be to ask Dstorm to release the US version. (Again, it seems that scripts are traduced but not released.)

I just could'nt wait.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Ummm "traduced"?? -- "Produced"? "Introduced"?

I realize your English is far better than my French. :beerchug:
+++++++

(actually, "traduced" is a very interesting word, though rare:

tra∑duce
trəˈd(y)o͞os
verb
past tense: traduced; past participle: traduced
speak badly of or tell lies about (someone) so as to damage their reputation.
synonyms: defame, slander, speak ill of, misrepresent, malign, vilify, denigrate, disparage, slur, impugn, smear, besmirch, run down, blacken the name of, cast aspersions on; .....

wingzeta
05-23-2017, 05:17 PM
In any case, papou's comment makes it sound like much of the work for the English version is already in the code, so perhaps if some of our Japanese speaking friends, or friends within NewTek could inquire, about this with D-Storm, on behalf of the community, we might get to make full use of these cool plugins too. It would be good for LW in general.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2017, 05:23 PM
wingzeta, that's not what I got: strings for buttons are often just right there in the code, sometimes all in one spot. Substituting the English equivalent is pure swappage, with the proviso that they often have to be the exact same length.

So, I don't think there's been any extra effort spent, it's just the nature of code.

Certainly, a competent translation would be better: if we could give D-Storm the ••• for that, perhaps they'd be kind enough to release English versions. Not to mention English docs.

jwiede
05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Substituting the English equivalent is pure swappage, with the proviso that they often have to be the exact same length.

Which is almost _never_ the case. Hence localization frameworks and so forth.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2017, 07:17 PM

BUT, better than nothing. Like papou said, awkward additions/shortenings most often occur.

wingzeta
05-23-2017, 10:07 PM
The buttons could have truncated, or extra long names as far as I am concerned, as long as I can make some sense of them. I don't have Japanese characters loaded on my computer, so I get a bunch of wingdings where the letters would be on the untranslated buttons. And of course the documentation in English would be great, so I know what the buttons do.

I've already tried a few of the plugins, where the demo video showed enough to get by. They already work, but some are more complex, so it gets tough without the docs or readable interface. As I've said before, several of the plugins already have English buttons. YS.Poseclip for instance you can use right now, as the video is enough to get by, and the buttons are English. In fact I would think it would be possible to figure out any of them with a little trial and error, and running the docs through an online translator.

The issue has more to do with these being available as a resource to the community without said trial and error, and work arounds. You want to be able to say to a new or potential LW user, "LW has this added capability and that added capability, used in some serious anime pipelines, just load up these free plugins." Not, "Load these free plugins, make sure you have the right character libraries installed, translate these docs, then try to figure out how it works from the inevitable wonky translation, then you'll be good to go for some of the functions." The problem with method 2 is that they won't end up widely used, which means less community knowledge, and less chance of people figuring out additional cool uses, tips, etc.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2017, 11:09 PM
No "tipping point", yes.

omichon
05-24-2017, 12:32 AM
This is one more disappointment with LW3DG. They probably had a gap to fill in the newsletter, then took a "cool looking" Japanese plugins collection. But Without any announcement regarding an English translation coming soon, it should have been for a DStorm newsletter only. Worse than no news, it's frustrating news...as if frustration was not high enough in the user community.
Lucky you, polyglots, I envy you. I know I should have learned Japanese at school to get, one day, a kind of 64-bit 3DD MeshReknitter, doh!

papou
05-24-2017, 04:40 AM

most of the case, it matchs.

jeric_synergy
05-24-2017, 10:34 AM
?? None of that looks like Japanese, how can we tell?

papou
05-24-2017, 03:11 PM
?? None of that looks like Japanese, how can we tell?

This is only to show how it is possible to translate all text of the UI from japanese to english without any destruction of the UI.
and also to help people using the current japanese version with somes translated exemples pictures.

This can be done with MadEdit, Google Translation, and a bit of patience.

ianr
05-25-2017, 05:30 AM
Thank you Pap:jam:

lardbros
05-25-2017, 06:24 AM
Ryan Roye is asking on Facebook if anyone is willing to donate to him to create some training/overview videos for these. I've said I'll send $10 and he's after around $200 total. We probably need 15 more people, so feel free to pledge. I enjoy listening to Ryan's voice, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgable... so let's support the LW community :)

jeric_synergy
05-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Ryan Roye is asking on Facebook if anyone is willing to donate to him to create some training/overview videos for these. I've said I'll send $10 and he's after around $200 total. We probably need 15 more people, so feel free to pledge. I enjoy listening to Ryan's voice, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgable... so let's support the LW community :)

Which LW FB page was that? There's several.

ianr
05-25-2017, 10:41 AM
i'll do that bubba's

wingzeta
05-25-2017, 12:05 PM

That still doesn't give us the English UI or docs. That is the issue. None of them seem too difficult to use, judging by the Japanese videos. Though I'm sure Ryan Roye would be the guy to figure out the next level tips and tricks with these. I'm sure his videos will be top notch.

Vong
05-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Doesn't look like the word made it here.... D-Storm has updated the plugins to include the English UI in all.

The documentation still isn't available in English, unfortunately. That's the reason Ryan is looking to create some training/videos.

wingzeta
05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Awesome!!!

TheLexx
05-25-2017, 01:45 PM
An innocuous little one sitting there called Lipsync (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/Displacement/LipSync.html). I am so intrigued. I don't do Facebook so any alternative link to contribute to Ryan would be good, if anyone knows.

Ernest
05-25-2017, 02:01 PM
There's no link to download just the plugin, is there?
I feel kind of bad of taking 200MB of their bandwidth again when only the 300KB plugin has changed.

jeric_synergy
05-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Doesn't look like the word made it here.... D-Storm has updated the plugins to include the English UI in all.
The documentation still isn't available in English, unfortunately. That's the reason Ryan is looking to create some training/videos.
Thanks for the hedzup.

lardbros
05-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Here's Ryan's post on Facebook... Not sure if he has other means of donations, but here it is for those who do have Facey-B

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1117166371722694/

ianr
05-27-2017, 09:38 AM
ありがとうございました
Arigatōgozaimashita D-Storm

開発者の指導者
Kaihatsu-sha no shidō-sha:jam::jam::jam:

TreyX
05-30-2017, 12:22 AM

do you live in japan, or work closely with japanese speaking users? I'm sure newtek would be open to assistance with button translation if they had a reliable and helpful partner to assist. just my two coins... not sure if they have a non-english version or not (not something i would ever need).

i do think that their dedication to promoting japanese plugin developers is worth a high-five, though. i just purchased 3 today, and wouldn't have known about them had it not been for newtek promoting them via their store....

Matt
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Which we've made much easier for them. Next.

50one
05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Rule #1 Matt.
Pics ir it didn't happen.

:P

wingzeta
05-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Which we've made much easier for them. Next.

This sounds suspiciously like "information." Is this a dream?

Matt
05-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Rule #1 Matt.
Pics ir it didn't happen.

:P

You already have it!

Look in "support\l10n"

Anyone can translate LightWave without having to compile the program, which you had to do before. That goes for plugins too, even scripts can use the same system.

Spinland
05-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Interesting discussions, even though I'm a Mac d00d so these plugins are of limited use to me. I'm loathe to fire up my token Win-doze 10 machine just to use a few extra tools. ;)

Oh, and in approbation of Matt's recent responses: Pwned! :beerchug:

Spinny-da-professional-cage-rattler

Julez4001
06-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Please donate to Ryan

paypal e-mail is [email protected]

His videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXVUG3ZiKGTurAArLRD_b9A

JohnMarchant
06-03-2017, 04:10 AM
Ive sent Ryan some money via Paypal, well worth it for these videos.