PDA

View Full Version : Procedural Texture Masking

DragonFist
05-12-2017, 03:16 PM
I recently watched a video with a Pixar guy going over methods used to play textures in Renderman. While I'm not using that platform, I followed along in Lightwave, and while I had to work through some things, I got it working.

But it got me thinking. Some things weren't as easy as I would have thought them to be. For example, to place dirt on top of things, I figured I just needed to do it based on the direction of the normal. But I didn't find an easy way of doing this. I tried using slope but it didn't cover all uses and then I tried using a direction constant and used the align to node with that constant and the smoothed normal and a gradient off of the pitch. In the end, the solution was simpler than it appeared (Vector Scalar Node set to Y Channel driving a gradient) but the travel time there was lengthy.

Anyhow, here's the $76,000 question (yes, I'm not applying inflation): What tricks/algorithms are you using to place/mask/blend textures based on geometry shape, position, proximity, etc.?

Best, Shawn

DragonFist
05-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Didn't see the Lightwave Technique Sections below. This should be moved there.