PDA

View Full Version : Instances and displacement

mummyman
05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
So.... I have a field of instances. I can add an effector null and have world coordinates set to an image of a circle and have it work, so the circle is only where I animate the null. But I'd like to displace the surface of the instances doing the same. Nope. Am I missing something? Or is that the limits of using instances. Only surface coloring works that way?

Cheers.

Brett

prometheus
05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
displace of the surface really has nothing to do with instances...thus itīs not a limit of instances...but if you mean you want to affect the instances in scale etc by using a null..that is doable, for live opengl feedback,, turn on studio live.
displacing a surface with a null shouldnīt be difficult, but I think I do not follow you properly what you actually need to displace.

mummyman
05-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Is it possible to displace the instances, sorry.. normal displace the surface where the circle is? My bad for not describing it. Or use normal displacement with procedural and falloff, but only where the circle falls.

prometheus
05-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Is it possible to displace the instances, sorry.. normal displace the surface where the circle is? My bad for not describing it. Or use normal displacement with procedural and falloff, but only where the circle falls.

For the main object that you instance that is possible. ..but the instances will displace exactly as the original object....so every instance will be displaced and every instance will have the same displacement with a circle mask...but as I understand it...you only want a certain area of the instances displaced...and that isn't possible

mummyman
05-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Dang... figured because it works with the circle on them as a surface... figured it might do the same in displacement mapping. Thanks!

prometheus
05-13-2017, 05:04 AM
Dang... figured because it works with the circle on them as a surface... figured it might do the same in displacement mapping. Thanks!

surface color is different than deformations or bones etc on any instance...such deformations will always look the same on every instance..in a sort of repeating pattern...based on the original object, the only adjustable variation is color, texture, rotation, scale, position ..which will work, but deformation on a per vertex basis..it will repeat on to other instances.

if your hardware can swallow i, an option would be to clone the items as individual mesh parts in modeler in the same layer perhaps, but unconneced from eachother, only then you would be able to perform a displace effect limited to such image mask.