PDA

View Full Version : AMD Nvidia compatability question.

cove
05-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Hi all.
Im in the process of buying a new computer system [3d work station] and would like advice
on the pros and cons of having 2 different makes of GPUs in my computer [AMD and Nvidia].
I have software that supports Nvidia and other software that supports AMD.

Have had 2 different opinions so far about this.

No 1
Having 2 different makes of graphics cards may cause issues in that when you install a second make of card it cancels out/overights the first card.

No 2
They see no hardware compatablity issues having 2 different makes of cards as it boils down to weather your software will recodnise both types of GPUs and give you the choice of using either GPU.

I use LIGHTWAVE 2015.3 and also use DeepRisingfx plugin which may have AMD support in the future.
I also have Poser Pro 11 which at present supports Nvidia but there intention is to provide AMD support in the near future.

As much as i would like both cards i thought best to put question up on the forum in case there are any pitfalls i should be aware of.
Thanks for any comments/advice.

Markc
05-11-2017, 12:14 PM
I assume your on a PC.
I have heard similar mixed views for the same thing on a Mac.
Personally I have stuck with AMD cards as I don't 'really' need CUDA.

You mention you have software which uses AMD and Nvidia, but don not mention any AMD specific software.

On a separate note, I bought Poser Pro, and was extremely disappointed, so got Daz Studio (free).
I have never looked back, everything works seamlessly in Daz.
I highly recommend you check it out.

cove
05-11-2017, 04:43 PM
I assume your on a PC.
I have heard similar mixed views for the same thing on a Mac.
Personally I have stuck with AMD cards as I don't 'really' need CUDA.

You mention you have software which uses AMD and Nvidia, but don not mention any AMD specific software.

On a separate note, I bought Poser Pro, and was extremely disappointed, so got Daz Studio (free).
I have never looked back, everything works seamlessly in Daz.
I highly recommend you check it out.

Hi Markc
Yes i have a PC

My reference to software using AMD.

I had an image editing software [Cannot remember the name of it now as i did not use it much] but it automatically recodnised my AMD card and ran about 3 times faster.
What i do not know is if i also had an Nvidia cuda card installed weather this software would see this as well and possibly give me the choice of either GPU.
This is the issue i think would another software like poser see both GPUs and give you the choice to use either.

I was hoping to see comments from people who have had experience with 2 different cards.
Seeing that no one has commented then i can only presume that having 2 different cards is possibly a no no and id best have 2 of the same make of GPUs.

Regarding Poser pro 11 and Daz Studio.
I did install Daz Studio but for one reason only.
I wanted to be able to transfer the figures and there accessory items [Clothing etc]
over to my Poser programme and make use of them.
Having used poser for so long i found learning Daz Studio generally was difficult to get used to so gave up.
I may start to learn the software again some time but have other more pressing issues to deal with before that.