PDA

View Full Version : Question about Adobes CC products

Ma3rk
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
And NO, this isn't about subscription vs. Non, so please don't get into that.

A friend called me yesterday asking about Premiere Pro and it got me thinking. I've a number of items from aescripts http://aescripts.com and for all of the that use After Effects or Premiere, they've a tab listing compatibility such as:

CC 2017, CC 2015.3, CC 2015, CC 2014

Now, I thought the whole idea behind the CC products was that as long as your subscription was current, so was the product. So why all the year versions not to mention the point versions? Ya can't find diddly on Adobe's site about this, or at least easily.

BigHache
05-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Well you're asking about third-party plug-ins vs. the host application. A lot of times the different host application versions have changes to the API that affect third-party plug-ins, and a plug-in may only support back to a certain point. Plus, it may help the user to see in writing, yes, this supports the particular version you have installed. Why wouldn't a user just have the latest version installed? They might have something particular in their pipeline that would break. Less typical for an individual but maybe more so for a studio.

Ma3rk
05-10-2017, 11:21 AM
So, does that mean that if the end user wants the latest & greatest, they still need to shell out more, or is it just a matter of d/ling the newer version and that's still covered under the original subscription?

If there's an issue with the newer version then, can the user drop back a version easily?

souzou
05-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Point releases overwrite that version install (ie. 2017.2 replaces 2017.1) but each major release is a separate application. So you end up with CS6, CC, CC 2014 etc as separate applications on your machine (unless you uninstall them). This also lets you backsave files to earlier versions if needed for compatability.

The subscription gives you access to all the versions from current back to CS6.

Ma3rk
05-10-2017, 04:22 PM
OK. Thanks. I was just curious.

Rayek
05-12-2017, 12:30 PM
One more reason for all the versions: a number of the apps had show-stopping bugs that were only discovered after releasing them to their unsuspecting users. To ensure that Adobe users can always continue their work, the older version can be (re)installed and worked with.

A while back Adobe decided to automatically remove older versions when the latest version is installed - leading to potential issues for users who encounter workflow bugs or issues in the latest versions. Make sure to decide what you want the Adobe CC manager to do when you install the latest version of one of the Adobe apps.

Ma3rk
05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
So in essence, very little has changed in that regard prior to the CC line. Good to know actually.