PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new rig, looking for feedback

squarewulf
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM
I am buying a new rig primarily for video editing and GPU rendering. With the amount i intend to spend on this i would like to double check with other artists (y'all) to make sure i'm not overlooking something simple.

Power Supply: 1.3 Kilowatt EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Motherboard: ASUS X99E-WS/USB 3.1
Cooling: Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 2011 Socket
Processors: Intel XEON E5-2680 v4 14-Core 2.4GHz (3.3GHz TurboBoost)
Graphics Card #1: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Graphics Card #2: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Graphics Card #3: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Graphics Card #4: Single 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Memory: 64GB ECC Registered 2400MHz (4 X 16GB)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Professional
Operating System Drive #1 (Primary): 1TB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2

This will be my first rig using xeon as opposed to an i7, is this the right call? Let me know your thoughts.

autojive
05-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Is there a reason you're going with a 2680 if you're going to be offloading most of the work to the GPUs? I think you'll be better off with something like a 1680 v4 instead. It has a higher base clock speed and turbo boost which will make a noticeable difference in those programs that still mainly rely on single-core performance.

sadkkf
05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Have you thought about waiting a little while for the AMD Ryzen chips? If they deliver what they promise, they will offer as much or slightly more power than the Intel counterparts at around half the price.

Asticles
05-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Ryzen benchmarks are awesome for the price.

http://blenchmark.com/cpu-benchmarks

But your processor will be a beast!

allabulle
05-10-2017, 12:45 PM
If you don't really need a Xeon and can make do with an i7, you can use non-ECC RAM and use the extra cash to umph the rest of the components.

allabulle
05-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Also, without liquid cooling for the graphics cards, I'd check how well four stacked 1080Ti's perform temperature-wise. If they warm each other past the throttling temperature (over long renders or hot weather) their render power decreases and the noise probably goes up considerably. Since nVidia Pascal architecture uses far less power than its predecessors it might work, but I'd try to figure out if temperatures (or noise) could be a problem down the line in such a configuration.

rustythe1
05-11-2017, 01:22 AM
Have you thought about waiting a little while for the AMD Ryzen chips? If they deliver what they promise, they will offer as much or slightly more power than the Intel counterparts at around half the price.

The ryzen currently has a bottleneck issue directly related to the 1080 cards so for him it would not be a good idea at this time if he is going octane/gpu rendering, in some tests ive seen its nearly 25% down on gaming/rendering performance over a 7700k,so for him his 4 cards could end up being the equivalent of 3 on an intel oddly Physics usually comes out a lot higher so better for simulation

MichaelT
05-11-2017, 02:48 AM
I bought 6900K, rather than Xeon. But you could buy an older Xeon with the same amount of threads, and it is just as good. Since you're investing for the GPU road (obviously) I would make sure to have a case that handles cooling well. Those cards can run quite hot under a load.
Also (and now I'll be speaking of my own experience.. recent even) Get an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) (just as an example: http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-2200VA-LCD-120V/P-SMT2200 ) Again, the link I just posted, is an example.. but it is important,
because if the power surges, your entire rig can disintegrate (It happened to me a few months ago) and that is a painful experience. Also make sure you get external drives hooked up to it as well. You would not want your backups (for example) to burn when your computer survives.
That is equally bad. You might need an adapter for that if you get an UPS that only have those three point connectors.

The most important point is to get an UPS that can handle the powerload you're using in your *entire* setup. Keep in mind that it won't help you for more than 30-60 minutes (if you have a good one, a few minutes if you get a cheaper one) but it is enough time to save your work, and shut down the computer.
Even automatically if you get one that can handle it.

rustythe1
05-11-2017, 03:17 AM
yes, I had a 900w UPS on my 980x, with two 790 cards it went over during gaming! 910 watts under full load, thankfully they have come a long way, my 5960 with 3 970 cards doesn't pull much more than 600watts although I still go through power supplies all the time, I think that's down to the way the board and lightwave work as its constantly changing MHz from 1.5 to 4.5 depending on what point of the render is

ianr
05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Sq Wulf,
All good Advice.. Brown outs cost me 2 rigs years ago when power company transformers
get me A big spike. Any Long term Render then UPS i swear them. Don't go mad on Ram Spec BUT
if you want push the savings into Coooling them 1080 puppies,see AquaComputer. De, they have real
slim Coolers Per card so much so you can Stack up to 7 in the future of 1080's in a tower, so you can
improve the farm time later one by adding 3 more when you want more Render.

Markc
05-11-2017, 12:06 PM
A UPS makes very good sense.
I have no idea the total cost of that rig, but the price of a UPS is peanuts in comparison.
It is just not worth the risk with such a large investment.

Snosrap
05-11-2017, 12:57 PM
My only question is: what's your address?

SteveH
05-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Equally important is when is the best time to catch you - NOT - at home?

squarewulf
05-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the input! As for cooling it's going to use an oversized case with giant fans. I'm hoping that will be enough, if not then i'll look into some addition cooling hardware. I think i'll stick with the xeon, a coworker of mine has the same initial build without the video cards that he uses for video editing and loves it, this way when we work on the same projects theres no reason either machine will bottleneck any progress.

You've convinced me, i will get a UPS, any reccomendations? I would prefer 2200VA.

Oh, and Snosrap, I do not live in the same dimension as you I am a 12th dimensional godlike being, my address is a series of thoughts and colors to which you would not understand.

MichaelT
05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
When looking for an UPS, remember to check its output capabilities (watts) since it varies. Even between two different systems (equally labelled as 1500VA, for example) the output can vary between ~850w - 1000w This is because the equipment might do other things that uses some of the power for itself, like cooling, built in computer etc.. or just being plain less efficient.

If you take the value (like 1500VA) and divide it by 1.7 you should get something in the neighborhood at least (towards the lower end) If memory serves, I think a 1080ti under maximum loads is close to 300w. So with 4x that you'll be in 1.5kw territory when other components are considered. normally it would be much less than that, maybe in the hundreds. But you do need to consider maximum load when getting an UPS. But even if it overloads, it probably still will save your computer. So with that I think you should get something over 2000va, but do try and get something that gives more than you need. You'll be thankful for those extra minutes to save your work. Since I don't live in the US, I have no idea about where to buy one.

Oh, and a final note. The batteries in these are good for a few years, but can be replaced. Just don't forget to check on them sometimes :)

Snosrap
05-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Oh, and Snosrap, I do not live in the same dimension as you I am a 12th dimensional godlike being, my address is a series of thoughts and colors to which you would not understand.
Oh - too bad. I really wanted to come over and take a "look" at that beast once you get it. :)

kopperdrake
05-12-2017, 03:33 AM
my address is a series of thoughts and colors to which you would not understand.

We've got a place like that in England - some call it "Yorkshire" , but really it mystifies me.

MichaelT
05-12-2017, 04:14 AM
I think a select series of towns in Wales sounds like they've been named by some n-th dimensional person ;)

Asticles
05-12-2017, 05:25 AM
The ryzen currently has a bottleneck issue directly related to the 1080 cards so for him it would not be a good idea at this time if he is going octane/gpu rendering, in some tests ive seen its nearly 25% down on gaming/rendering performance over a 7700k,so for him his 4 cards could end up being the equivalent of 3 on an intel oddly Physics usually comes out a lot higher so better for simulation

About bottleneck:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/amd-explains-why-ryzen-doesnt-seem-to-keep-up-in-1080p-gaming/

Does not seem that it happens outside Intel optimized games.