PDA

View Full Version : Units of measurement.

Snosrap
05-08-2017, 12:01 PM
I like the units of measurement in Modeler I just wish they would stay in inches, feet or mm's etc.. Type in 13 inches in the numeric of the box tool and give me 13 inches not 1ft. 1inch!! Is that really that hard to code? Better yet make it user definable depending on what the user likes.

prometheus
05-08-2017, 12:15 PM
I like the units of measurement in Modeler I just wish they would stay in inches, feet or mm's etc.. Type in 13 inches in the numeric of the box tool and give me 13 inches not 1ft. 1inch!! Is that really that hard to code? Better yet make it user definable depending on what the user likes.

weird since the other units seem to stay as they should I think, seems like a bug maybe? you are correct though.

Snosrap
05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Same thing happens with millimeters. Type in 1001 mm's and you'll get 1.001 meters. It had been this way for eternity (LW6). :(

Dexter2999
05-08-2017, 12:29 PM
I think the grid works perfectly as is. If they want to add features to "lock" a grid for specific use for users, fine.

Otherwise, make your own grid to your scale and set it in the background layer. (Which also might be nice to be able to "lock" on.)

13 inches IS 1'1". You are arguing semantics.

prometheus
05-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Same thing happens with millimeters. Type in 1001 mm's and you'll get 1.001 meters. It had been this way for eternity (LW6). :(

SI system

mm fine up to 1000mm where it changes to meter display of units when reaching the full unit above the set unit, same the other way, under 1 mm it turns to microns.

Metric however...10mm ends up as 1cm, where SI keeps the mm unit.

Snosrap
05-08-2017, 01:38 PM
I think the grid works perfectly as is. If they want to add features to "lock" a grid for specific use for users, fine.

Otherwise, make your own grid to your scale and set it in the background layer. (Which also might be nice to be able to "lock" on.)

13 inches IS 1'1". You are arguing semantics.

Not sure what the grid has to do with this. Yes semantics is the issue. Go to any web store and you will see products with dimensions stated and you will almost never see 1'1" W x 2'4" D x 1'4" High. Plus when talking to people I never here them say "lets make these supports 1foot 6inches apart." :)

Snosrap
05-08-2017, 01:42 PM
SI system

mm fine up to 1000mm where it changes to meter display of units when reaching the full unit above the set unit, same the other way, under 1 mm it turns to microns.

Metric however...10mm ends up as 1cm, where SI keeps the mm unit.

That's why we need the choice - I don't like that. :)

prometheus
05-08-2017, 02:24 PM
That's why we need the choice - I don't like that. :)

I agree, I would rather prefer a way to set it with constant mm, especially for architecture measurements.

Reco
05-08-2017, 04:19 PM
It has been reported before.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144730-Units&highlight=reco

And I reported it again for almost a year ago.

It is so fast and easy to implement, and it will not slow down the development of other feature.
And for those who don't understand this. You won't notice any difference. Your life will be exactly like it is today.

Reco

Snosrap
05-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks Reco for putting this in the system! I think this is a really important feature request.

tburbage
05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
It does seem odd in that both Default Unit=inches and feet seem to produce the same result in terms of how the dimensions are displayed. At least it does correctly interpret inch inputs e.g. 66"...

I usually work in SI, but when working from plans with English units, it's easier to just work in those units. Anyhow, I agree, I'd rather have Units=Inches be displayed in that context. If anybody still has some now ancient LWM installed, it would be interesting to know if this changed at some point. I kind of doubt it.

Snosrap
05-10-2017, 09:30 PM
It does seem odd in that both Default Unit=inches and feet seem to produce the same result in terms of how the dimensions are displayed. At least it does correctly interpret inch inputs e.g. 66"...

I usually work in SI, but when working from plans with English units, it's easier to just work in those units. Anyhow, I agree, I'd rather have Units=Inches be displayed in that context. If anybody still has some now ancient LWM installed, it would be interesting to know if this changed at some point. I kind of doubt it.

I'm pretty sure its been this way since v6. :(