PDA

View Full Version : Layout stops responding after dragging license to splash screen

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 01:21 AM
We have an issue where Lightwave Layout stops responding after applying the license, by that I mean after you close the app and re-launching

The original user (user1) that was setup on the mac is working fine (this would have had her license applied).

Having migrated another user (user2) account to this same unit, we licensed the app again using user2 license, launch Layout and application stops responding.

Created another user, fired up Layout successfully, licensed it using user2 license and it too now stops responding on launching.

Any suggestions? I have reported this to support but their instructions are not tallying up with what I see.

Thanks

MichaelT
05-05-2017, 02:11 AM
Assuming you have LW2015. Do you have a license file stored here (after having applied it)? : c:\Users\<USERNAME>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\licenses\LICENSE.LWK <- This one.

If not, then try disabling the AV (if you have one) and try again. Just in case it is trying to scan things, while LW is working. If that helps.. then get in touch with the AV company.
If neither helps, have you updated the graphics drivers?

You can also have a quick look in the config files (a folder up from the license) to see that the paths are correct.

Beyond that.. no idea.

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 02:18 AM
Not sure I'll have that folder as it's OSX, they did ask me to check a folder YOURUSER\Library\Application Support\NewTEk\LightWave\LIGHTWAVE_VERSION\license s

This from what I can see is an invalid path and I have checked for all user accounts created.

Btw, running 2015.3

MichaelT
05-05-2017, 02:23 AM
Ok, since I don't have a Mac myself I'll have to guess. But try doing a system wide search for the "license" file. Use wildcards, to get all of them. So you can either see if the file is stored somewhere else, or not at all. If not at all, then my guess is that there is some rights issue preventing LW from saving the file. If it is there, it could still be a rights issue, preventing LW from reading the content of it. But like I said, I am guessing at this point.

gerry_g
05-05-2017, 03:21 AM
Go to User<Library<Application Support<NewTek<Lightwave<2015.3<Licenses and edit the file manual with text edit I have both my licenses in the one file with a couple of line space between the two blocks of text that constitute the file, I use the same file on four Macs like this but note the machine will read the first license first so if any dependent plugin is tied to one specific machine that license must be the top one for that machine.

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 03:55 AM
I cannot see this folder User<Library<Application Support<NewTek<Lightwave<2015.3<Licenses

I did find a Library > application support but no NewTek folder within

MichaelT
05-05-2017, 04:02 AM
I think your installation of LW didn't work for some reason. Again, I have no Mac so I don't know how things work there, but if you perhaps need some elevation of the user to be allowed to install properly... maybe that is what caused the problem? Maybe?

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 04:24 AM
The install is fine from what I can see, that said we have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and the original user is still working fine. It's only subsequent users it is not working for, that said it runs until you apply the license.

All the users are standard, OSX prompts for the elevated admin account should it need to.

MichaelT
05-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Then I don't understand what may cause the problem for you. Because LW doesn't do anything particular, nor does it (afaik) require any special permissions etc.. on any OS. Certainly doesn't on Windows at least. So for me it sounds like there is something in the system that prevents it installing properly. I think this because you say you don't even have a Newtek folder. To me that suggests that it isn't allowed to create that folder for some reason.

gerry_g
05-05-2017, 05:42 AM
I cannot see this folder User<Library<Application Support<NewTek<Lightwave<2015.3<Licenses

the folder in question is only written by Lightwave after first run, so after you launch LW Layout for the first time, upon quitting, LW is scripted to write the user config and user directories at the location described in the user library, I usually don't enter my license on first run of a new install but do it after the event by going to the user library and installing it manually as I outlined in my first post

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 06:37 AM
the folder in question is only written by Lightwave after first run, so after you launch LW Layout for the first time, upon quitting, LW is scripted to write the user config and user directories at the location described in the user library, I usually don't enter my license on first run of a new install but do it after the event by going to the user library and installing it manually as I outlined in my first post

Since that folder does not exist and Lightwave hangs on launch, I'm in no mans land at the moment.

ITTeam
05-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Located the folder in the end, the Library was not tagged as visible in the options. If I deleted the LWK file, LW launched, but when I then tried to use the License file, it reported added to config but still prompted as unlicensed. I ended up using the Licence for the original user, which worked.

gerry_g
05-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Are you running an administrative account (route user 501) because this is what you should be in to make the initial install, I'm in Sierra 10,12,4 and had no difficulty installing from scratch from an admin account, if not the case uninstall set up account log out log in as admin and try again