PDA

View Full Version : weight maps

vonpietro
05-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Got a quick question.

I made a room with a floor, and i painted a weight map of the areas i want a dirt texture to show through.

When i goto layout and surfacing - What do i do to make a dirt layer show above my wood floor texture?

I thought it would be a gradient with weight mode applied, but when i tried it - nothing happened.
I was hoping the weight map would cut out my dust texture.

any ideas how to do this correctly?
thanks

Sensei
05-04-2017, 11:22 AM
For a start, try using Material Mixer/Color Mixer in Node Editor, with Image node as 1st input, 2nd input dust/dirty image map/procedural texture, and 3rd input Opacity from Weight map node.

Trevor
05-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Got a quick question.

I thought it would be a gradient with weight mode applied, but when i tried it - nothing happened.
I was hoping the weight map would cut out my dust texture.
any ideas how to do this correctly?
thanks

Just make sure your weight map layer is above the texture layer, should work.

MonroePoteet
05-04-2017, 01:50 PM
As Trevor said, the Weight Map based Gradient needs to be above the grunge texture layer, but it also needs to be set to "Alpha" mode, and if it's a Color layer, then you need to use the White / Black colors to contol the Gradient rather than the Value or Alpha. Also, if you use multiple layers to create the grunge, you'll need an Alpha Gradient above EACH procedural / image layer. VERY quick sample scene / object attached.

mTp

Surrealist.
05-06-2017, 02:22 PM
If we are just talking about adding texture details, don't use a weight map.

Weightmaps are limited by your points. You don't want details tied in to your points. You want them independent of points. I understand the concept of getting weight maps to work. I don't want to undermine that. But for texturing, to get the best results and flexibility, use images and some kind of projection like planar for a floor or use UV maps. Alternatively you can generate grunge layer map procedurally with some kind of cloud or noise layer set to alpha, as above.

pinkmouse
05-07-2017, 01:56 AM
This sort of thing is much easier in nodal. You can hijack things like AO, use EEgritnode or both with gradients and sometimes spot info to get exactly what you want. I tend to avoid weightmaps, (in 11.6, OSX), because they can sometimes be a bit crashy.

prometheus
05-07-2017, 08:34 AM
If we are just talking about adding texture details, don't use a weight map.

Weightmaps are limited by your points. You don't want details tied in to your points. You want them independent of points. I understand the concept of getting weight maps to work. I don't want to undermine that. But for texturing, to get the best results and flexibility, use images and some kind of projection like planar for a floor or use UV maps. Alternatively you can generate grunge layer map procedurally with some kind of cloud or noise layer set to alpha, as above.

Agreed, or just paint maps with some other software...free sculptris for instance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QRbc63CAs