PDA

View Full Version : making a glass surface

Rizwan
05-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I am trying to make a glass surface I found this information on line how to make a glass surface. I am woking with the surface editor. It says to click on the shaders tab choose fast fresnal from the Add Shader list. So I choose Fast Fresnal when i double click it it says it has no interface. Why does it say it has no interface?
This is the first time i have gotten a message back that says fast fresnal has no interface.

MichaelT
05-03-2017, 03:23 AM
The thing you want to look at is the sphere, and its material. When you open it, click on the nodes. You can see that I am using a dielectric material (Which is what glass really is) The thing that makes this tick for you are two things. The thickness of the object (or shape of it) and the refraction index.
If you use a value between 1.44 to 1.9 for glass, you're good to go. After that you can play with the other values to change how it behaves. But for this purpose, that one is enough.

It looks something like this:

Here is a scene you can play with, it uses a sphere to act as a soft light source instead of an actual light. It makes the lighting in the scene to look better.

prometheus
05-03-2017, 11:45 AM
I am trying to make a glass surface I found this information on line how to make a glass surface. I am woking with the surface editor. It says to click on the shaders tab choose fast fresnal from the Add Shader list. So I choose Fast Fresnal when i double click it it says it has no interface. Why does it say it has no interface?
This is the first time i have gotten a message back that says fast fresnal has no interface.

Weird...it should work, and you are sure you added fast fresnel and not accidently some other shader that hasnīt got an interface? so make sure you got the right one, and no other shader to mess up with, also...clear scene and start with new scene and a new object and try on that....also, copy your configs to a backup folder, then delete the configs in the lightwave folder and let it wright new ones when closing.

Rizwan
05-03-2017, 04:15 PM
When I open up my Surface Editor>Shaders>Add Shader>Fast Fresnel it says Fast Fresnel: Angle 0.000000. I double click on that and i get this message back which says Information The Fast Fresnel plug-in has no interface.

MichaelT
05-03-2017, 05:40 PM
That's weird.. I wonder if the config file is looking in the right folder.. maybe it can't find the LWFresnel.p file?

Rizwan
05-03-2017, 10:05 PM
what should I do to fix the problem?

MichaelT
05-04-2017, 12:09 AM
As an example.. if you have LW2015, 64bit version. You may find the config files in this folder:

c:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\

In here there is a file called "Extension Cache-64" (it's a cache file so don't edit it) but if you open it, you can see many of the plugins LW is using. It looks something like this:

{ Server
Class "AnimLoaderHandler"
Name "AVI(.avi)"
{ Module
Path "C:\\Program Files\\NewTek\\LightWave_2015.3\\support\\plugins\ \input-output\\AVI.p"
Size 0 4e00
Date 1d0d161 ca4fba80
}
}

The line you are interested in is the path, if it said (rather than "c:\...") "x:\..." and you don't have lightwave (or the files it is looking for) there in that path. Then you know it is looking in the wrong place.

Before you fix anything, please make a copy of the files. Preferrably the whole directory, so you can restore them if needed.

Now, to try fix this you can open the file called "LW2015.3-64.CFG", and fix the path references in that file, so it is pointing to the right place.
Like the line beginning with (but not limited to) "DirectoryType Plug-ins " followed by the path to presumably needs fixing.

There are more files to look in:

LWEXT2015.3-64.CFG
LWHUB2015.3-64.CFG
LWM2015.3-64.CFG

This is in no way a sure way to fix your specific problem, since I don't know what is causing it.
But at least you have something to look at.

Again.. please remember to take a backup first.
In worst case you may need to reinstall Lightwave, if you can't find a way to fix it. If you do, then again, take a backup of the folder I mentioned.
So you can more easily restore it to a working condition in the future.

Best of luck.

Rizwan
05-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Ok I fixed it. I reinstalled the LightWave10 program DVD. I didn't lose anything.