PDA

View Full Version : Edge rendering: "Sharp Creases" parameter adjustment?

jeric_synergy
05-02-2017, 12:23 PM
In the EDGES tab of Object Properties, one of the choices is "Sharp Creases".

Is there an angle adjustment that allows the user to define what is considered "Sharp"?

jeric_synergy
05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Never mind: page 477:

Sharp Creases - might also be called “UnSmoothed Edges”. Whether or not a given edge
qualifies as a Sharp Crease depends on the Smoothing Angle of the surface to which that
polygonal edge belongs. Lowering the Smoothing Angle of a surface will increase the
number of Sharp Creases traced; increasing the Smoothing Angle will decrease the number
of Sharp Crease edges. If the “Smoothing” option is left unchecked in the Surface Editor,
most (if not all) of the polygon edges in your model will qualify as Sharp Creases. These
edges could be good for sharp-edged machinery, buildings and rocky terrains. If the object
is deforming (for example, an animated ocean surfaced with a low Smoothing Angle), the
smoothed/unsmoothed property of the edges can change from frame to frame and the
Sharp Creases will change with them.

jeric_synergy
05-02-2017, 11:58 PM
New Edge question: for some reason the Edge lines are showing thru the object: the box on the back of the hook is solid and non-transparent.

RudySchneider
05-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, almost looks like you've got surfaces flipped. What happens if you tick "Double-sided?"

jeric_synergy
05-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Nothing.

Ohh.... I'm using the Orthographic Camera-- maybe that's the problem (grrrrrrrrr). :devil: ......

.........nope: does the same thing w/the Perspective camera. Yay?

Well heck, here's the object -- there's some hidden layers, only "New box" and "Connector" should show up in your Layout. Quite the puzzlement.

Here's a clearer/less confusing screenie w/more colors to make it clear what's happening:

jeric_synergy
05-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Shawn Lee Bishop had the answer over on "FB/Lightwiki - Lightwavers Are Everywhere": setting the Edge Z Scale parameter to "1" fixed it. :thumbsup:

Now I need to find what that thing does..... :o

RudySchneider
05-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Good you got it sorted out. Please share what you find out about the Z Scale parameter.

jeric_synergy
05-03-2017, 07:16 PM
The current dox don't have much information: "Edge Z Scale is a legacy property. We strongly recommend leaving it at its default value of 1.0."

About the only thing to be gathered from that is: why wasn't mine set to 1.0? Users should be aware of that, and check to make sure it isn't set to anything else (mine was set to 0.0, and I hadn't touched it).

Someone with legacy documentation would have more data.

Ztreem
05-04-2017, 02:00 AM
I think the Z scale value makes it possible to move the edge in z depth towards the camera. So if your object is behind another object but you want to show the line from the object even if its behind you can do so by lower the edge z scale value.

jeric_synergy
05-04-2017, 07:45 PM
That might come in handy, in certain weird, most likely still illustration, cases.

daforum
05-05-2017, 02:53 AM
I know Blueprints are usually flat but 3DBlueprints might benifit from adjusting the Z scale, or even animating 3DBlueprints too ( Difficult though as there's no envelope on Edge Z-scale for animation )

jeric_synergy
05-05-2017, 05:52 PM
I think whatever Z-scale might have mitigated in the past is probably handled in Nodes better and more completely now.

Somebody got pre-11 dox?

Julez4001
05-18-2017, 03:01 AM
In the EDGES tab of Object Properties, one of the choices is "Sharp Creases".

Is there an angle adjustment that allows the user to define what is considered "Sharp"?

click smoothing on, and adjust Smoothing parameter in the surface panel. you should see the difference around 30 degrees.

jeric_synergy
05-18-2017, 11:51 AM
click smoothing on, and adjust Smoothing parameter in the surface panel. you should see the difference around 30 degrees.

See #2.