PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #283 The Golf Club

NeonZ
05-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Rules:
1. Every two weeks or so there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit (usually 60 to 120 minutes plus 60 minutes if you're new to LightWave). You should spend no longer than the allotted time modeling. Then texture your object(s), light the scene, and post a render of your model to this thread. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling time is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. If there are a sufficient number of contributors, a "winner" will get the chance to pick the subject of the next challenge. Input from the community is often used in this process. If there are only a handful of contributors, they can discuss this together and pick the next topic, designating one of them to post the new subject in the Forum.
7. Have fun! This is a community event designed to encourage you to keep modeling. Whether you're a new LightWave artist or a seasoned professional, working with these tools is the only way to get better.

This Challenge Topic: The Golf Club

Description: In honor of the PGA tour, model a golf club of your choice. Or a set of clubs if you want. Or your take on the golf club.

Modeling Time: 120 minutes

Challenge Ends: ~11:59 PM Pacific - May 14, 2017

Winning entry announced: ~12:00 PM Pacific - May 15th (so check back)

Challenge #284 will start May 16.

NeonZ
05-01-2017, 09:21 PM
So we're going to try to keep these to the 2-per-month schedule. I know some have asked for additional time in the past, but this usually hurt the pacing of these fun challenges. You're always welcome to post your renderings to previous challenges after the deadline. I'll do what I can to gather your ideas so we can have a backlog of modeling challenges to pull from (with credit where credit is due). And if you have to miss a challenge, the longest you'll wait is two weeks for the next one to roll around. You can always PM me if you have any questions about this.

wingzeta
05-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Modeled this in about an hour. Could be lower poly, but in the spirit of "speed" I didn't want to get into optimizing, or starting over. I may add further detail through texture, but this is stage one.

Farhad_azer
05-03-2017, 02:54 AM
Awesome. I look forward to see the improved version.
You are a great guy NeonZ. Please help keeping SMC more productive and useful.

bellmore
05-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Greetings everyone in the SMC. Sorry for disappearing from the challenges and not judging the challenge of the 90s time capsule. I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and pretty much lost interest in everything in my life that I was doing. I am slowly getting back into my interests and hobbies. I look forward to participating in this challenge. Thank you NeonZ for keeping the SMC alive.

unstable
05-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Not a great entry, but an entry none the less. Took almost 80 minutes.

Asticles
05-10-2017, 12:33 PM
It will pass, bellmore. Cheer up! (I expect I'm saying it correctly :P)

wingzeta
05-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Not a great entry, but an entry none the less. Took almost 80 minutes.

Cool shapes. There are a lot of unusual head shapes out there. I based mine on an old club I had laying around, but I think a club like this is more interesting.

unstable
05-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I wish I had this actual club to get details from. My only reference was a top and front view pics from the web. I dont even think the views were for the same head. Lol

NeonZ
05-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Modeling Time: ~90 minutes
And didn't want to spend time on UV mapping the club head. =)

Love this driver!

wingzeta
05-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Nice! I had planned to do similar textures, but it's been a busy week. I like the grip texture. Is this from a club you had on hand?

NeonZ
05-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Yep, I had the club in my hand. The club head in my model isn't modeled exactly like the real club, but I didn't have the time! Here's the grip file, a bump map that's just repeated! Guess I could have cut it to one symbol, but oh well.

NeonZ
05-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Congratulations unstable for being this challenge's Winner. You said it wasn't a great entry, but the detail work to get the contours of the putter is sufficient to win this time. I'll PM you with a request for the next topic!

Thank you to all who participated. As we get back into Challenge Mode after a short hiatus, I hope more individuals will start participating again. And if you're new to LightWave, just start modeling and participating.

And if you have some club models that you haven't finished yet, feel free to post them to this thread when you're done. It's always nice to see the work of other artists, especially what you can do with LightWave!

unstable
05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanks NeonZ. This was unexpected. :D I responded to your pm.