PDA

View Full Version : OD_Copy paste allows you to copy and paste geometry between applications.

hrgiger
04-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Oliver Hotz has created an open source tool that will allow you to copy and paste geometry between 3D applications. Not only geometry but surface/material names, SubDs, weight maps, UV maps.... Currently I'm using it to copy and paste between LightWave and Modo but he's also added support for Blender, Houdini, and Maya. He's made it open source and is hoping it will be improved upon.

https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/

I made a quick demo vid of it here:

https://youtu.be/6jKi34irylo

daforum
04-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Wow! That looks impressive and very, very useful.

Can it copy and paste the LW surfaces/ materials ( not just names and/ or UV maps, but T channels ) with the object?

Ztreem
04-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Wow! That's so cool and useful. So much faster than export/import if you want to use a specific feature in another app. Thanks for sharing.

hrgiger
04-27-2017, 07:21 PM
right now its limited to carrying over the surface slot itself, no color or material property itself is carried over.

oliverhotz
04-27-2017, 10:23 PM
As stated, its only the surface/material assignment that gets carried over. There's a reason for this. Lets say you have an object that you start in lightwave, and you have all your surfacing setup, but just want to add a modeling task thats so much easier in modo... so you do that... bring it back... and when you bring it back into lightwave, your material remains intact as it was already setup... if you were to add options like "carry surface over as well, and try to convert it (which will never exactly look the same anyways), you make the whole setup more complicated and clicky.. and the whole point was to make it as braindead as it can be.

That doesnt mean, that I won't have something in the future that does just that (converting surfaces as best as it can between apps), but its not going to be part of this as I just dont think it makes sense in the context.

Best,
Oliver

Lewis
04-27-2017, 11:29 PM
Great tool Oliver, congrats on release.

JohnMarchant
04-28-2017, 12:34 AM
Thanks Oliver, you genius you.

MichaelT
04-28-2017, 01:53 AM
That's a really great tool, good one :)

JohnMarchant
04-28-2017, 02:30 AM
Oliver please if you can include sketchup with this.

oliverhotz
04-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Oliver please if you can include sketchup with this.

thats the whole point of open sourcing it, someone with sketchup experience, they can probably add support for it..so maybe you can find someone that can do the sketchup part.

Best,
Oliver

Asticles
04-29-2017, 12:30 PM
This wolud be great also if someone makes it for autocad, importing drawings is always tedious.

oliverhotz
04-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I just updated the master branch. No changes to the file format, but quite a few bugs removed and overall code cleanup. I have also added Pre-LW 2015 versions, but I believe at a minimum you need to have lightwave 11.6. But really.. do yourself a favor and upgrade.

Snosrap
04-29-2017, 06:26 PM
What version of Modo do you need? I'm still on 601.

oliverhotz
04-29-2017, 07:44 PM
not sure.. i dont have versions that far back installed. but its free to try :) let us know the results

Danner
04-30-2017, 07:42 AM
This wolud be great also if someone makes it for autocad, importing drawings is always tedious.

For *.dwg drawings we use DraftSight (a free autocad clone) to remove garbage (like hatch fills) and then explode the drawing till it can't be exploded no more. then export as dxf and load it into LW with LWCAD.
For IGS SAT STP formats we use MOI an inexpensive CAD app that exports directly to .lwo

tischbein3
04-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Just added a wink to this plugin collection on my
favorite cg news site :)

This is really a game changer

well done sir.

chris

Asticles
04-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Posted on Nvil and Wings3d forum.

oliverhotz
04-30-2017, 09:05 PM
I made a ton of changes today (some of which resulting in HUGE speed increases), so make sure you grab the latest from today. Lots of work went into it this weekend. Thanks for all the positive feedback and reporting, specifically to Pedro Alpiarça dos Santos aka probiner..

Norka
05-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Eeks!.... I added to both LW and Blender.. can't find OD CopyPaste in Blender... Is it supposed to be in Object menu at bottom left in Blunder.. er.. I mean Blender? (hate that damn thing, but need for some stuff...) I'm just not seeing it. Yes, I saved Blender prefs after adding. Please help.

Edit: Okay, I needed to put a check next to it in list after adding... Thanks so much Oliver!

Asticles
05-01-2017, 06:43 AM
For *.dwg drawings we use DraftSight (a free autocad clone) to remove garbage (like hatch fills) and then explode the drawing till it can't be exploded no more. then export as dxf and load it into LW with LWCAD.
For IGS SAT STP formats we use MOI an inexpensive CAD app that exports directly to .lwo

Yes, I do the same. Copying directly would remove the copy to new file-explode n times-save as dxf-import (going to an specific folder... etc) process. Really annoying when you have multiple changes every day.

mummyman
05-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Thank you, Oliver!

3dworks
05-01-2017, 02:09 PM
great idea!! thank you so much for making this available, i see it already as a fix part in my workflow. as i am using C4D quit a lot as a modeling 'swiss knive' because of all it's interesting and cheap plugins, a support of cinema would be more than appreciated as well ;-)

cheers and congrats

markus

Marander
05-01-2017, 02:30 PM
great idea!! thank you so much for making this available, i see it already as a fix part in my workflow. as i am using C4D quit a lot as a modeling 'swiss knive' because of all it's interesting and cheap plugins, a support of cinema would be more than appreciated as well ;-)

cheers and congrats

markus

+1 and thanks Oliver!

I would also be interested in the C4D support.

If I see potential in LW Next and I find some time I might develop this myself but not in the next couple of months unfortunately due to other projects. And so far I haven't done anything in Python (or 3D development in general), only Java and C++.

allabulle
05-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Thanks Oliver.

I'll try it with LightWave and Blender. Sounds very promising and useful indeed.

Asticles
05-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi oliverhotz,

I've tested the plugin and seems that it offsets the material positions when there are materials in modeler with 0 polygons (maybe in an earlier position than the others. I closed the object because we're in a hurry at work so I cannot confirm). This behaviour happens when copying from modeler to blender.

Can anyone confirm it?

Regards

Asticles
05-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Well, it seems the offset happens always. Has anyone tested with other 3d packages?

oliverhotz
05-03-2017, 10:45 AM
grab the latest from github.. i just pushed out a fix for the material issue, as well as vmap duplication (on the blender side).. blender was "importing" it wrongly

Marander
05-03-2017, 03:36 PM
For C4D, the Melange SDK (C++) could be used.

https://developers.maxon.net/

https://developers.maxon.net/?page_id=1112

https://github.com/Scott-Ayers/C4D-Mesh-Loader

Danner
11-21-2018, 05:49 AM
Sorry to necro this old thread.. but can anybody get the paste from Blender to LightWave to work? Well it does work, but if the model has UVs I get an error in lightwave as follows:

File "G:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.2\support\plugins\mode l\Additional\LW_CopyPasteExternal.py", line 333, in process
mesh_edit_op.pntVPMap(mesh_edit_op.state, points[int(split[4])], polys[int(split[2])], lwsdk.LWVMAP_TXUV, uvMap[0][0], [float(split[0].split(" ")[0]), float(split[0].split(" ")[1])])
File "lwsdk\pcore.py", line 16533, in pntVPMap
TypeError: MeshEditOp_pntVPMap() takes exactly 8 arguments (7 given)

oliverhotz
11-21-2018, 07:32 AM
works perfectly fine in 2018... should work fine in 2015.3 as well as far as i remember. not sure why you still would be using 2015.2

Danner
11-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Well, lazyness more than anything :) We were in the middle of a production when it came out and when I read the notes the changes didn't seem like a big deal so I just put it off for later, I have LW with a bunch of customization and pluggins so it wouln't be just a plain install. Then I just forgot about it. Thanx for the confirmation that it does work in other versions. I hope that solves it, I was thinking I was doing something wrong.

oliverhotz
11-21-2018, 07:59 AM
I think its because some bugs were fixed in 2015.3 regarding vmaps..