PDA

View Full Version : One UV, Multiple Polygonal Objects

RPSchmidt
04-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Hello and good morning!

I have a model that was created by a team member who has since departed the team. The model is good, but they didn't texture it thoroughly.

They created an architectural visualization model of a bush, but while they textured the branches, they didn't texture the leaves. They created a leaf texture, but instead of UV mapping a single leaf and rail cloning it, they did the rail clone without texturing any of the leaves.

I decided to just delete all but one leaf, map it, and then rail clone it again along the existing curves which was the easier way to approach it (for me).

But I wondered if there was a way (short of individually UV mapping hundreds of leaves) to map the UV to every single leaf without remapping all of the polys? I'd like to see if there is a faster method I could use to just address the texuring issue if I ever run into this same problem again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ernpchan
04-27-2017, 09:21 AM
To my knowledge what you did is the right way. UV the polygons first, then duplicate. There's no way to do it the opposite way and have the polygons share the same uv space automatically since the program has no way of knowing they're supposed to be identical. If your geo is low point count enough you could manually set the uv positions in the uv space. But that would be pretty tedious.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Ernpchan is far more qualified than I to respond, but: ;)

If all the leaves are identical, and it sounds like they are, you could use the SELECT Nth PATTERN feature to select the same corresponding point on every leaf, and move it in UV space to the appropriate spot. So you would separately select each and every point on the leaf. Like he said, pretty fookin' tedious, but not un-doable.

EDIT: Preparatory to this, you'd get all the placed leaves into one object, and use ATLAS UV map to create the starting UV space. -- You might be able to simply HIDE all but the leaves.

How many points in each leaf?

Danner
04-27-2017, 02:10 PM
There are other options too.

If each leaf is one polygon you can use "new quad poly map" it stretches each polygon to fill the UV space.

If not then you could make a new textured leaf, then use the existing un textured ones as instance generators to clone the new one, if you select align to edge, in the rotation options of the instance generator they will all line up to the same edge of the generator so they should be aligned properly.
If you rather have all the leaves in an object instead of instancing them, you can export an FBX from layout, and then load that FBX into modeler as one layer.

MarcusM
04-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Make one leaf and instance it on branches in layout :)

RPSchmidt
04-28-2017, 10:28 AM
To my knowledge what you did is the right way. UV the polygons first, then duplicate. There's no way to do it the opposite way and have the polygons share the same uv space automatically since the program has no way of knowing they're supposed to be identical. If your geo is low point count enough you could manually set the uv positions in the uv space. But that would be pretty tedious.

That's what I was afraid of. That is how I started.... set up a UV map with a single leaf, then started adding leaves and aligning the points to the UV space manually.

BUT there are over 500 leaves, so yup... figured out pretty quick that was far too labor intensive.

RPSchmidt
04-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Ernpchan is far more qualified than I to respond, but:

If all the leaves are identical, and it sounds like they are, you could use the SELECT Nth PATTERN feature to select the same corresponding point on every leaf, and move it in UV space to the appropriate spot. So you would separately select each and every point on the leaf. Like he said, pretty fookin' tedious, but not un-doable.

EDIT: Preparatory to this, you'd get all the placed leaves into one object, and use ATLAS UV map to create the starting UV space. -- You might be able to simply HIDE all but the leaves.

How many points in each leaf?

Thanks for the suggestion... there are ten points in each leaf.

Minus using nth pattern, I started out doing what you suggested. Added every leaf to an atlas UV and started manually aligning and adjusting the points. Just too much work to put in on one single piece of vegetation.

RPSchmidt
04-28-2017, 10:40 AM
There are other options too.

If each leaf is one polygon you can use "new quad poly map" it stretches each polygon to fill the UV space.

If not then you could make a new textured leaf, then use the existing un textured ones as instance generators to clone the new one, if you select align to edge, in the rotation options of the instance generator they will all line up to the same edge of the generator so they should be aligned properly.
If you rather have all the leaves in an object instead of instancing them, you can export an FBX from layout, and then load that FBX into modeler as one layer.

That is an interesting solution for this issue. I woul definitely have to export them back to modeler... the final product needs to be an OBJ so that it can used be used across in multiple software applications without signficant issues.

Thanks Danner... I will give that a try and see what happens once I have a chance!

jeric_synergy
04-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion... there are ten points in each leaf.

Minus using nth pattern, I started out doing what you suggested. Added every leaf to an atlas UV and started manually aligning and adjusting the points. Just too much work to put in on one single piece of vegetation.

With Nth PATTERN, that should only be ten moves total. Pretty doable.