PDA

View Full Version : Adding sounds to 3d

Farhad_azer
04-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Hi every body and hope you are doing great,
I have nearly zero experience dealing with sounds.
May i ask, which software do you use to add sounds to your clips and showreels?
How good lightwave is when dealibg with sounds and using audio as operational tools in layout?
Would you please direct me towrds free tools first and then more professional but affordable softs for freelancers?
Thanks in advance.

OlaHaldor
04-24-2017, 11:31 AM
I've usually used Premiere for editing/adding/mixing sound and music to my stuff.
Now however, just recently, Davinci Resolve 14 was announced and released in a public beta during a live stream at NAB. They have added Fairlight audio to Resolve, which is just crazy.
Resolve is free (with a few limitations - most don't care about it)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/fairlight

jeric_synergy
04-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that's more of an edting thing than a 3d rendering thing. Any of the FREE editing apps is more than capable of adding audio to rendered animations.

IIRC, Fusion, which has a history of being LW-friendly, is free now. Be sure to support them however they're making money now (if you make money).

Blender has a compositing ability built-in, don't know how audio-capable it is.

As an aside: I'm surprised that 3d audio still seems to be an issue in VR-- i'da thought they'd've straightened that out by now.

+ Liberty3d.com just released new Fusion tutorials

raymondtrace
04-24-2017, 12:26 PM
You'd only use sound in LW Layout to test the synchronization (lip-sync, musical beats, etc). You would not use LW Layout to do final assembly of audio and video.

Consider shotcut.org as a quick-entry video editor, which runs freely on any platform and even works as a portable USB app.

prometheus
04-24-2017, 03:00 PM
You'd only use sound in LW Layout to test the synchronization (lip-sync, musical beats, etc). You would not use LW Layout to do final assembly of audio and video.

Consider shotcut.org as a quick-entry video editor, which runs freely on any platform and even works as a portable USB app.

A little more than that, you could use a simple heart beat and feed certain parts of a model likein the layer opacity for displacements or weightmaps,or envelopes in morphs.. and let it inflate based on the heart beats from the sound input in layout, or to drive light flare intensity with a buzzing sound so it mathes some power electric disturbance or effects, add insect sounds to bugs so it syncs close to a bug getting closer to a camera, but there you probably would need some plugins.

But yeah..generally you simply track the rendered photage in another compositing software like premiere and match the sound you want manually, fusion as mentioned is a free option.

to know...loading a clip only in such displacement or other envelope channels doesn´t let you hear the sound, you need to load it in the scene editor almost at the bottom next to workpaces and options you got audio, load either mp3 ..should work or wav files, later the curve of the audio will be shown in the time line, and you should be able to scrub by dragging the time line if audio scrub is checked.

Soundwave was a plugin available some time ago, not sure the link still works...
http://walen.se/soundwave.html

for a scene case you would make a morph and size a part of the heart in modeler with a slight radial falloff perhaps, save it sync layout, then in layouts morph mixer for that ojbect, enter the envelope and add an audio channel modifier in the modifier tab of that envelope graph, load the same clip as you have loaded in the scene editor to make sure you can both see it and hear it in sync, make a preview for best playback..that is just one case of how you can use a sound in layout, but most commonly you would perhaps just comp sound with other editors, but if something requries exact sync or triggering something...layout has those options.

prometheus
04-24-2017, 03:51 PM
The individual page I linked to previously doesn´t seem to work..The correct link for soundwave should be here..
http://walen.se/

click on soundwave plugins, Note...he seems to have named them wrong, the 32 bit is the 64 bi, and vice versa it seems.