PDA

View Full Version : Time to start showing your cards Lightwave - Modo11 subscription.

flandryx
04-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Now that Modo 11 has been released and is subscription based for new users, it would be a very good time for Lightwave to start showing their cards. I own both LW and Modo and would love to see Lightwave scratch back some users. This seems like the perfect opening. I won't beat on Modo nor Lightwave, I've had equal issues with both for decades, it's just a passionate request. :)

C'mooooon LW Dev. team, there is a big gapping hole in UI feedback and an incomplete animation pipeline in Modo. You ARE needed. :)

jwiede
04-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Now that Modo 11 has been released and is subscription based for new users

:rolleyes:

MODO 11 permanent licenses are still available for both new and existing (upgrade) customers.

TheLexx
04-21-2017, 12:22 PM
@ jwiede, I think there is a certain difference in that my understanding is that Modo is now similar to ZBrush licencing. It may be a small point in practice, but if Foundry suddenly went bust tomorrow the software would be stuck on the currently installed machines (I think limited to 2 machines) and would then only retain the remaining shelf life of those machines, as opposed to total user independence previously. It's early days, so I'm not 100% sure I've got it right.

bazsa73
04-21-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm glad LWgroup takes its time and doesn't come out way too early with an immature and errorprone product.

Marander
04-21-2017, 02:23 PM
@ jwiede, I think there is a certain difference in that my understanding is that Modo is now similar to ZBrush licencing. It may be a small point in practice, but if Foundry suddenly went bust tomorrow the software would be stuck on the currently installed machines (I think limited to 2 machines) and would then only retain the remaining shelf life of those machines, as opposed to total user independence previously. It's early days, so I'm not 100% sure I've got it right.

Agree!

"login-based licensing" no thanks...! Not that I have any current need for modo but I always found it an interesting product. I was able to run the modo 10 demo with a lic file. If there is only licensing with a internet connection (no matter if only once to register or every 30 days or node-locked) then the product is not interesting for me anymore.

"The way login-based licensing works is as follows

- When you activate your license on a machine, a 30 day nodelocked RLM license is installed.
- When you run Modo, if it has an internet connection, it will connect to the website to check it still valid and then get a new 30 day license. As long as you connect to the internet every 30 days you can run Modo for the duration of your subscription or indefinitely for Modo with Maintenance.
- When you "Log Out" of Modo it will tell the website the machine has been deactivated and remove the license. You can then activate it on another machine.

At present login-based licensing is only available for purchasing Modo Subscription or Modo with Maintenance. We are investigating the possibility of offering other products on subscription in future."

Snosrap
04-21-2017, 03:29 PM
No thank you. 601 was my last and I rarely fire that up so double no thank you. Throw in the subscription and maintenance confusion and get a triple no thank you. Please NT keep your existing purchasing and upgrade structure! ----- But release LW Next!!! :)

Sensei
04-21-2017, 03:37 PM
C'mooooon LW Dev. team, there is a big gapping hole in UI feedback and an incomplete animation pipeline in Modo.

What exactly is needed in Modo in animation department.. ?

You can ask some 3rd party Modo developer to fill this gap.. ;)
But first you have to express it, explain it..

TheLexx
04-21-2017, 03:47 PM
If they had previously announced they were going to do this, with a "last orders" lead in period, they might have seen a flurry of people spending to upgrade to the final "freedom version" before online licencing kicked in, but they have suddenly forced the situation on people, causing uncertainty. I now feel it is possibly good that Lightwave was delayed in the aftermath of this because if LW retains the same licencing model it will offer a real choice for anyone stepping off Modo if they are unhappy with the new licencing.

MichaelT
04-21-2017, 04:49 PM
This is interesting.. so even perpetual license is "allowed" for 30 day periods. Just wow....

(update below)

Vong
04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
The way it was explained in the MODO Forums:

"when you, login via the license dialog in modo, a license file is downloaded to your machine.

if maintenance/perpetual that license will remain active on your machine forever for that current build of modo and prior releases. every 30 days it will try to update itself if offline, but if no valid maintenance is found it will still work. again just frozen at the build number it was at.

if subscription that license file remains active in an off line state for 30days +7 for a billing grace period. after that, and without logging back into a valid account, the product will fail to load."

MichaelT
04-21-2017, 05:42 PM
I got a response from theFoundry:

"
There has been some confusion around this, due to the same system checking two license types. The app will check-in every 30 days, and if you go offline, a Subscription license would stop working, a perpetual license will continue to work, indefinitely, but you won't get notified of any updates until you re-connect /Derek Cicero

"

Paul_Boland
04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Please NT keep your existing purchasing and upgrade structure!

Agreed!!

jwiede
04-22-2017, 07:05 PM
What customers really appreciate are RELEASES.

LW3DG might want to try making a new one.

hrgiger
04-23-2017, 07:21 AM
There have now been like 6 feature releases of Modo (if I'm doing my math correctly) since Lw3DG released LW 2015 2 1/2 years ago. Foundry is now on a release roughly every 4 months. I just got my permanent license of Modo 11 and it cost me $100 less than it did last year, 11.1 will be out in 4 months and 11.2 will be out another 4 months after that. I'm feeling ok about it.

When lw next comes out l, I will likely get that too. Then wait another few years for another update. In that time, I will likely have another 6 versions of Modo.

erikals
04-23-2017, 08:42 AM
unofficial records said LightWave 2017 will possibly be out next month.

TheLexx
04-23-2017, 09:22 AM
EDIT:- paragraph retracted.

Foundry was sold fairly recently and they did nothing at all to comment or quell fears of the Modo userbase, even that Adobe or Autodesk might have become the next owners. I've been quite surprised how Foundry emerges lily-white here after some of their antics compared to the flak Newtek gets. Maybe this is frustration based on seeing Houdini and Modo versions in the interim, but my impression is that LW Next will land soon this year and I must say I value the Newtek licencing more than ever now.

jwiede
04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
(TheLexx corrected the post to remove the error, so removed the correction)

TheLexx
04-23-2017, 10:50 AM
@ jweide, I stand corrected on things, many thanks.

Schwyhart
04-27-2017, 05:52 PM

I sincerely hope so!

Scazzino
04-27-2017, 07:53 PM
As both a LW and Modo user I like LW's licensing. If Modo goes subscription only, then I won't be upgrading it. If it's just an option and the standard licensing will continue to work perpetually then that's fine. I just have no interest in using any software that may go dead if I have internet connection issues, the company has server issues, my computer or hard drive fails, a subscription lapses, a product is discontinued or a company is sold or goes out of business. After 30 years in the business I've seen many products and software companies come and go. If I have an old job/project. I want to be able to open it on an old computer regardless of what happened to the software or company since I did the job/project. So subscriptions are a no-go for me.

BTW: Anyone looking for alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop check out Affinity Designer and Photo.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Verlon
04-28-2017, 06:37 AM
As both a LW and Modo user I like LW's licensing. If Modo goes subscription only, then I won't be upgrading it. If it's just an option and the standard licensing will continue to work perpetually then that's fine. I just have no interest in using any software that may go dead if I have internet connection issues, the company has server issues, my computer or hard drive fails, a subscription lapses, a product is discontinued or a company is sold or goes out of business. After 30 years in the business I've seen many products and software companies come and go. If I have an old job/project. I want to be able to open it on an old computer regardless of what happened to the software or company since I did the job/project. So subscriptions are a no-go for me.

BTW: Anyone looking for alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop check out Affinity Designer and Photo.

Agree on the LW licensing and can vouch for Affinity Photos (have Designer, but not proficient enough to make that recommendation worth anything). Photos works like a charm, and even accepts PS brushes and plugins.

hrgiger
04-28-2017, 11:14 AM
The funny thing is, if what LW3DG previously said is true, people upgrading from older versions will pay more for their upgrades than current users. Which is no different than what currently Modo is offering in their maintenance plan. And I see nothing wrong in either plan. Both companies are trying to give users incentive to upgrade to each new version with a discount. Just don't be fooled into thinking that Modo is somehow any worse than what LightWave is currently planning on( if what they said previously still holds true once LW next is out).

samurai_x
04-30-2017, 04:56 AM
Newtek LWG iime is relative. Its outside the space time continuum. Whatever.
Really disappointed with all this waiting, lack of info, delayed release.

erikals
04-30-2017, 05:09 AM
1'st of May would be a good date. :)

erikals
04-30-2017, 05:17 AM
The funny thing is, if what LW3DG previously said is true, people upgrading from older versions will pay more for their upgrades than current users. Which is no different than what currently Modo is offering in their maintenance plan. And I see nothing wrong in either plan. Both companies are trying to give users incentive to upgrade to each new version with a discount. Just don't be fooled into thinking that Modo is somehow any worse than what LightWave is currently planning on( if what they said previously still holds true once LW next is out).

'set' $250 upgrades for LightWave is nice.
however, upgrading from any version of LightWave was a strong marketing point.
modo subscription only would be a week marketing point.

gerry_g
04-30-2017, 05:53 AM
no because Modo gets bug fixed and upgraded two to three times a year plus new stuff gets added, Lightwave gets updated sometime never, in Mac OS Sierra the current version of LW is fairly lame, Modo may have bugs but it plays better with the current Mac OS overall, I think if 3D Group are intend to better in the future they need to make at least some effort to actually support the product or come clean and flat out say its abandonware from here on in

erikals
04-30-2017, 06:18 AM
one of the reasons why i skipped LW2015

-few/small upgrades
-buggy

let's see what 2017 brings.

hrgiger
04-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Its 299, not 250. And previously they said that people upgrading from older versions would have to pay more, like 795. Which is hard to believe since LW is currently selling for 695. Upgrading Modo from an older license moving forward is 399 for current users, 599 for people on older versions.

erikals
04-30-2017, 01:38 PM
i had a happy $250 memory.

yes, hope to see a slightly cheaper upgrade price. i'll buy some other software/hardware meanwhile.
just bought studio lights this week, should be fun :)

bought them on ebay (crossing fingers)

hrgiger
04-30-2017, 03:35 PM
i had a happy $250 memory.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148219-New-pricing-model

jperk
04-30-2017, 05:11 PM

How soon do you think it will be out?

And I certainly hope it will not become subscription. Newtek don't do it!

hrgiger
04-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Lightwave won't ever go subscription because they don't put out updates often enough to warrant it. There's no incentive for anyone to rent software that might only be updated once every 2 or 3 years.

lertola2
04-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Can Affinity Designer export .eps files that can be imported into Modeler? Can it open Adobe Illustrator files?

raw-m
05-01-2017, 02:23 AM
Can Affinity Designer export .eps files that can be imported into Modeler? Can it open Adobe Illustrator files?
Illustrator: yes but you have to save as eps version 3.
Affinity Designer: it used too but something changed recently and I can't get it to work (but if you can't stand using Illustrator but have the CC you can copy and paste into illustrator and export that way).

Asticles
05-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Now is the time with all those modo people that are dissapointed (like me).