PDA

View Full Version : customer support

Captain Chaos
04-20-2017, 11:38 AM
I understand that most companies don't do tech support anymore. I don't understand why, in the instances where I've exhausted all other options, my emails to customer support are either unanswered or answered rudely. Are these guys aware that we're paying them?

SBowie
04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Can you offer a little more detail? What product(s) are you trying to get support for?

Captain Chaos
04-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Can you offer a little more detail? What product(s) are you trying to get support for?

Sure. It's Lightwave. The IT guys here at my job hate it so I'm on my own for a lot of troubleshooting. I sent an email though the web form with this question:

"My company is supposed to have multiple lightwave licenses but we can only locate one. We have four dongles. Can you help me out?"

Rather than a proper answer I got an email containing only a link to an FAQ page. I replied with this:

"I need to speak to a real person, either on the phone or chat, so I can get my question answered."

I got this reponse:

"I'm looking - do you have any information on the licenses ? A license file ? a purchase number ?
I can't find that you have an account with [my work email] -- so I'm wondering who might have registered them
Without this basic info - a phone call is moot - and getting me the info in email can help with spelling and making sure things are right."

One of my gripes about this transaction is that the second response was the request for clarification that should have been in the first email. Another is that the tone of the second response was really snotty and not at all professional or appropriate when dealing with customers. Lastly, ridiculing me for requesting to speak to an actual person was absolutely infuriating.

raymondtrace
04-21-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm a fellow user so I don't need to be as politically correct as a Newtek rep... There is nothing snotty in their response. You start this thread asking "Are these guys aware that we're paying them?" but you can't prove you paid. It is not Newtek's responsibility to prove you own a license. It is yours. That was probably in the FAQ they sent as the first reply.

The way you ambiguously start a conversation, either in the support web form or in this forum thread, is probably the reason why you don't get helpful responses. Hopefully you can get this straightened out.

Captain Chaos
04-22-2017, 07:02 AM
There is nothing snotty in their response.
That's B.S.
If I talked to a customer that way I'd be out of a job. As I said before, the correct first response would have been a request for more information.

Gordon
04-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Your gripe on the first response is valid. The first response could have been to politely ask for more details, such as the serial number, lock ID and the name of the person or company who purchased them.

However, the second gripe is unfounded. They had already did they best they could in trying to find the information you wanted by using just the sparse information they had. The request for more information in an email where they can get the correct spelling, while explaining that without it, a phone call would be useless, was simply to maximize the time available for support. It appears to me that LightWave itself could be on the endaged species list with limited resources and NewTek is doing what they can to support and update it, so those of us who love it can continue to have this great tool for years to come.

I have quite a few licenses for LightWave and still have four dongles. I can understand that it can be difficult to keep track of them, with upgrades over the years, but fortunately I can just sign into the NewTek registration page and look them up.

http://register.newtek.com/register.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f

MichaelT
04-22-2017, 10:08 AM
If your company bought the licenses, then it also have an account where those licenses are registered. If you are taking charge (in your company) for those licenses, then you should get the account information from the manager who bought it. Or whomever is holding that information now. LWG can't give this information to you, since if you can't get into that account.. they have to assume you have no right accessing it. That probably means you need access to the company email box attached to that account too. If you have that, a simple password reset should do the trick, if you don't have the password for the LWG account.

On a side note.. I think LWG should patch that dongle out from those old versions.

Captain Chaos
04-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Both responses were unnecessarily rude. Newtek can, and should, do better.

MichaelT
04-22-2017, 10:17 AM
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that my response is rude?
I get you are frustrated, but don't lash out on people whom are trying to help you.

SBowie
04-22-2017, 12:38 PM
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that my response is rude?
I get you are frustrated, but don't lash out on people whom are trying to help you.I think the OP was referring to the two responses from NewTek. I wouldn't say either response was 'rude', as I would use the word, but perhaps a little "terse". This is unfortunate, perhaps reflecting someone being rather busy or distracted, our apologies.

No doubt the respondent felt the information on the FAQ page would provide the advice needed as to how to proceed. Not having looked at it, I've no idea whether it does so or not. I don't really agree that the "tone of the second response was really snotty", but perhaps it could have been a little more sympathetic. The fact remains, however, that you are ultimately going to need to supply the info that was requested or, if unable to do so, respond to followup questions that may help lead to a successful outcome.

MichaelT
04-22-2017, 02:11 PM
I think the OP was referring to the two responses from NewTek. I wouldn't say either response was 'rude', as I would use the word, but perhaps a little "terse". This is unfortunate, perhaps reflecting someone being rather busy or distracted, our apologies.

No doubt the respondent felt the information on the FAQ page would provide the advice needed as to how to proceed. Not having looked at it, I've no idea whether it does so or not. I don't really agree that the "tone of the second response was really snotty", but perhaps it could have been a little more sympathetic. The fact remains, however, that you are ultimately going to need to supply the info that was requested or, if unable to do so, respond to followup questions that may help lead to a successful outcome.

You're probably right :) I'm not a native English speaker, so it is entirely possible that I got lost in translation.

jwiede
04-22-2017, 03:20 PM
If your company bought the licenses, then it also have an account where those licenses are registered.

Actually, based on how the old system worked, there could be anywhere between one and four different accounts depending on how each seat was purchased, and thus there's no reason to think all four wound up under a single account in the current/"new" system. The old dongle registration/tracking system worked quite differently compared to the current system.

jwiede
04-22-2017, 04:16 PM
I think the OP was referring to the two responses from NewTek. I wouldn't say either response was 'rude', as I would use the word, but perhaps a little "terse". This is unfortunate, perhaps reflecting someone being rather busy or distracted, our apologies.

Steve, with all respect, keep in mind this was the initial contact between a business customer and a vendor's CS dept. Presuming the text of the second response is accurate, the whole tone was "terse" and highly informal -- at best, it comes across as unprofessional, and at worst, patronizing and argumentative (as appears to have occurred). Combined with CS responder's apparent refusal to engage in the first reply, of course that business customer came away from the interaction with a negative impression of Newtek/LW3DG CS.

To be clear, I don't think the CS rep was intentionally being rude, but being that informal with customers is likely to escalate conflict, esp. wth customers who are already having issues.

SBowie
04-22-2017, 07:17 PM
To be clear, I don't think the CS rep was intentionally being rude, but being that informal with customers is likely to escalate conflict, esp. wth customers who are already having issues.Agreed.

gjjackson
04-22-2017, 09:15 PM
I saw nothing rude whatsoever in the replies. I took it as just to the point. Many times a person will assume rudeness simply because of their Own frame of mind and not intended by the other.

prometheus
04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
You're probably right :) I'm not a native English speaker, so it is entirely possible that I got lost in translation.

Yes..I thought you must have misunderstood the OP, since One could see he was upset by the two initial mails from newtek, and he then jus said the two responses was rude..followed by newtek should, could do better..and that should suggest nothing else than it was those responses he wasnīt happy with, and not any of the responses on the actual thread.

I donīt see why Anyone would question the newtek support when they ask for license proof, you either got it..or has been sloppy not storing any license data...or simply isnīt qualified, if it is so urgent and requires a personal phone call support, One should really be able to provide such license info, if you can..then look for the answers in these support forums instead.

raymondtrace
04-24-2017, 06:59 AM
That's B.S.

It looks like you have further explained why the conversations you attempt leave you feeling unfulfilled. Try some honey.

To be clear, I don't think the CS rep was intentionally being rude, but being that informal with customers is likely to escalate conflict, esp. wth customers who are already having issues.

You're right but let's not give too much credit to one side of the story. Keep in mind this thread did not start by asking how one can verify/obtain their licenses. It was started as a pure rant. And even the story told seems suspect in regard to showing evidence of snottiness or that anyone was "ridiculing" the captain. Short of dipping his toes in the pool of reality, I suspect Captain Chaos just needs a hug and some time to find evidence of his employer's purchase.

Imagine how his story would be no different than an ex-employee trying to get licenses for dongles he swiped from a former employer. This is why I see little issue with NewTek here. They're under no obligation to offer licensing information to non-customers or completely disorganized customers that have no ability to prove they're customers. Everything the captain has posted appears as blame shifting.

I still wish the captain success.