PDA

View Full Version : Crossing to or from the dark side

circleofsmoke
04-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Hi

Having just spent 2.5 days doing a bullet simulation on my aging Mac pro I'm thinking of switching to a PC for LW only - I'm thinking my best option is to go to a local PC builder with a spec, however PC's are really not my thing as I'm a lifelong graphics mac guy so does anyone have any suggestions what a system config should look like to get the most out of lightwave?

Thanks for any suggestions

John

prometheus
04-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Hi

Having just spent 2.5 days doing a bullet simulation on my aging Mac pro I'm thinking of switching to a PC for LW only - I'm thinking my best option is to go to a local PC builder with a spec, however PC's are really not my thing as I'm a lifelong graphics mac guy so does anyone have any suggestions what a system config should look like to get the most out of lightwave?

John

I just recently found the new physx fluid engine from hurleyworks very interesting..was trying out with my "Old" nvidia gtx 560 card, and the developer could nail down that neither my cuda card or the direct x could handle what is needed for that plugin.)c uda 3 at least, the plugin didnīt work on my older card..
So get one of the later high performance gtx card ..maybe gtx1080, and i7 pentium processors, a lot of ram.

I may be getting myself a new one..maybe this one...(swedish site)
https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/259067-asus_g11cd-k-nr070t-i7-7700-16gb-1tb_512gb_ssd-gtx_1080_8gb-win_10

Marander
04-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Hi

John

Depends on your budget and use case.

If it should be rather cheap (consumer / gamer line) and since Bullet in LW doesn't support GPUs and I'm not sure how good it supports multi threading I would go for a Hexacore Intel Core i7 6850K or Quadcore Intel Core i7 7700K with a decent mainboard (Intel Z270 chipset for example) and 64GB DDR4 RAM. M2 SSD from Samsung (950 / 960 or similar), Graphics card with an Nvidia 1070 or 1080 GPU. If you're assembling the machine yourself make sure to also have a robust PSU (850 Watt+ Gold or similar for example from be quiet!, Corsair or Cooler Master) and a proper CPU cooler (not the Intel stock one).

My quad and hexa core machines with similar configuration run fine for days at 100% utilization at 4.4 GHz with normal air cooling. I use mostly ASUS components and Corsair RAM, SSD from Samsung and HDs from Western Digital (Red).

32 GB RAM should be the base for any 3D machine, often more than 32 GB RAM is required when using heavy displacements and using landscape programs like World Machine and Vue, but again, depends on your use cases. And for stability its mostly required that you have the exact same modules built-in, so I would just max out to 64 GB from beginning.

If it should be a professional workstation (but more expensive) go for multi socket Xeon with lots of cores (like Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 with 18 cores / 36 threads) and Nvidia Titan cards. The workstation mainboards can also be equipped with more than 64 GB RAM.

If you intend to use GPU rendering like Octane you best have 2 or more 1080 or Titan cards and the more GPU memory the better.

If you don't want to assemble yourself you could look into the HP Z workstations with specs similar to the ones above. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/overview.html

Edit: As I don't really know how Bullet in LW scales with multiple cores, don't expect a miracle or huge improvement switching from the Mac to PC since it seems you're using a fast Xeon based Mac Pro. Your current graphics card should be capable enough for modelling and fast scene navigation in LW.

circleofsmoke
04-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Edit: As I don't really know how Bullet in LW scales with multiple cores, don't expect a miracle or huge improvement switching from the Mac to PC since it seems you're using a fast Xeon based Mac Pro. Your current graphics card should be capable enough for modelling and fast scene navigation in LW.

Its really quite hard to get any sense of how much difference cards and cpus will make - I shopped around to see if I could get a flashed cuda card into my mac (they are stupidly expensive made natively for macs) but apart from the advantages of cuda octane etc it didnt seem like the newer nvidia cards made that much for the amount of investment - given the age of the kit I'm using I would expect more after 7 years