PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Memory - Please Help

3DIM
12-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Howzit guys - im working on a G5 duel 2 - i had 512 mb ram and have just upgraded to 3 GB of ram but when it came to rendering it made no difference .
i have followed the instruction manual but that only made a slight difference when it comes to allocating memory to lightwave.
when rendering i looked at the activity monitor while it is rendering and it shows that there is stil 2.5 GB of mem free which means its barely using any .

ANY help would really be appreciated .

Thanks
3DIM

Beamtracer
12-18-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by 3DIM
i looked at the activity monitor while it is rendering and it shows that there is stil 2.5 GB of mem free which means its barely using any . Maybe Lightwave didn't need any more RAM for the scene you were rendering.

Lightwave 7.5 is a 32-bit application, and I believe it is can use a maximum of 2 gigs of RAM. Still, the OS and any other apps running will be able to use the other gig of RAM. I hope someday that future versions of Lightwave will be able to access more RAM than this.

Occasionally I use mega sized image maps, especially when I have to do a huge camera move from far away to close up. I've got 2.5 gigs of RAM and with any less I wouldn't be able to load the scene.

Don't forget that Layout, Modeler and hub are separate applications, and able to access their own RAM. So I think 2.5 or 3 gigs of RAM is a good amount to have.