PDA

View Full Version : Wierd position or zoom factor jumps in Layout

tburbage
04-14-2017, 10:28 AM
I've been sporadically encountering annoying jumps in viewport "camera" position and/or zoom factor in 2015.3 Layout for quite some time, and wanted to mention this to see if others have also encountered it. I don't mean "Camera view", just the regular OGL viewports.

I have Layout set to start by default in Quad view, usually with a Perspective view in upper left, and orthographic view otherwise. The viewport transform "jump" occurs when moving from viewport to viewport with the intent to adjust the pan or zoom, and happens on the first Alt+Left mouse down (for pan, or rotate in Persp), or Alt+Ctrl+Left mouse down (for zoom adjustment).

For the pan gesture, it occurred to me that the jump I see is similar to if I had instead pressed the "g" key at the mouse position (Center View on Mouse Pointer).

For the zoom gesture, the jump seems to be a super long jump to "infinity" in either + or - direction. When this occurs, I typically have to correct by doing a Fit All Items in View to bring the scene back into "focus".

Have not reported a bug so far because although it happens fairly frequently, I have not been able to find a clear, reliable "steps to reproduce".

I'm mostly working in a Windows 10 desktop context.

kopperdrake
04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
I *think* I may have seen the same thing. I only run one window in Layout, but it's usually if I've been in another modal window - graph editor for example, then go back to the main window. The first click and everything seems to jump to one side, and I have to recentre the camera. It's very sporadic, so I was just assuming I'd hit a wrong key! Also running Windows 10.

Ma3rk
04-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you checked drivers & settings for your mouse? I had some issues with a Logitech M570 wireless and once & I replaced it the problems instantly went away. I can't use any custom settings either such as middle mouse being a double click w/o LW not wanting to perform selections correctly, etc.

kopperdrake
04-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Interesting - my mouse is a Logitech but can't remember the model. I'l try updating the drivers. It hasn't always happened though, but I did upgrade the PC to Windows 10, so I'm beginning to wonder if something hasn't changed since then.

tburbage
04-14-2017, 08:41 PM
I *think* I may have seen the same thing. I only run one window in Layout, but it's usually if I've been in another modal window - graph editor for example, then go back to the main window. The first click and everything seems to jump to one side, and I have to recentre the camera. It's very sporadic, so I was just assuming I'd hit a wrong key! Also running Windows 10.
Yes, that is often part of my scenario as well, where I had the spreadsheet Scene Editor+Graph Editor open on the second display. BUT, I can repro with only Layout main appframe open.

tburbage
04-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you checked drivers & settings for your mouse? I had some issues with a Logitech M570 wireless and once & I replaced it the problems instantly went away. I can't use any custom settings either such as middle mouse being a double click w/o LW not wanting to perform selections correctly, etc.
Not yet, but it did occur to me that it could be a mouse issue. I have a Razer DeathAdder Chroma mouse, purchased within the last year, so nothing old. But I look into that more, or borrow my wife's mouse to get a "second opinion"...

tburbage
04-16-2017, 02:57 PM
I tried a generic Microsoft 3 button mouse and was not able to reproduce -- so does appear to be mouse/driver related.

Marander
04-16-2017, 03:21 PM
I tried a generic Microsoft 3 button mouse and was not able to reproduce -- so does appear to be mouse/driver related.

Maybe you tried this already and it's a silly suggestion from me but did you enable / disable the Tablet support in the Display Settings (shortcut D)? Tablet support is required in some configurations, even if you use a mouse, trackball or trackpad.