PDA

View Full Version : NDI Connect Pro Memory Leak?

jcupp
04-14-2017, 09:36 AM
I've built several machines to run NDI Connect Pro and they are working pretty well except for one machine. There appears to be a massive memory leak that causes the machine to allocate all the physical RAM (16 GB) in the machine then start on the paging file. This happens within a few minutes and obviously it doesn't work too well.

It may be triggered anytime you use more than 2 inputs but I'm not positive about that.

As soon as you shut down Connect Pro the RAM clears and the paging stops. I've had the user re-install the latest version and update BMD Desktop Video (Drivers and config app for the Mini Recorder cards). There is nothing else installed on the machine except for the Tascam US2x2 audio interface drivers/application. Win10 x64, 4 Mini Recorders, 1 Mini Monitor, NVidia GT730 Graphics card. Hex Core i7, 16GB RAM, X99 chipset motherboard.

Two nearly identical machine plus another with a different motherboard do not exhibit the problem.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm about to make the 3 hour drive and just go nuke the machine and start over but I'd like to avoid it.

denver.root
05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
I am having this exact same issue, except I am only running this on a single machine, so this is a significant disruption for us.

Jeff, did you find a solution?

Anyone else, ideas on the memory leak? The memory leak progresses rapidly, and interestingly, the huge amounts of RAM being allocated are *not* being allocated to the Connect Pro process, but into the "ether"... Eventually other processes on the machine begin to crash from a lack of available RAM, or perhaps from having their RAM overwritten...

Hopefully,
Denver Root
IT Director
King of Kings Ministries

kanep
05-08-2017, 10:02 PM
I've not seen the problem, but if you haven't filed a bug report, you should.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?110229-Reporting-Bugs

jcupp
05-10-2017, 07:57 AM
I started by pulling the Mini Monitor output card (I'd heard reports of small memory leaks) and the problem disappeared. At the time I thought it might be caused by the order in which the BMD cards were configuring so I tried swapping them around in slots. I never could get the memory leak to happen again even after putting the cards back to the original configuration. It's weird.

Once I had my hands on the machine I did discover that the leak was being triggered by /any/ NDI connection to NDI Connect Pro. I could have multiple cameras coming in but until I made an NDI connection (even using NDI Monitor on the same machine) it was fine.

I've run the machine for several days with three incoming SDI signals, converting an incoming NDI stream to send to the output card and with several TriCasters accepting the NDI streams from NDI Ccnnect. Memory usage is dead flat. I'm just modifying my quality control procedure to check for the issue. We'll have to see if it crops up in the future.

This is a Gigabyte X99 chipset motherboard and four Mini Recorders plus a Mini Monitor.

I'll report the bug even though I can't reproduce it at this point. Bottom line it looks like it /may/ be a quirk of the BMD drivers so try pulling a card etc.

FogBugz: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?88494_2uivri2e

PIZAZZ
05-10-2017, 09:02 AM
I have built some similar machines. I will check into this myself and see if occurs.
I have one machine that has ran flawlessly with 2 minirecorder input cards and plain Connect doing 2 NDI outputs for the past month nonstop. No issues with it.
BMD and their goofy drivers could very well be the issue too.

jcupp
05-10-2017, 10:31 AM
That's the weird thing. I built several identical machines and only one of them had the issue until I played with the cards. I was just chalking it up to "BMD, what you gonna do?" until denver.root chimed in.

jcupp
05-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Just a quick update for the record. NewTek found the BMD bug and has an update coming to Connect Pro that will prevent the memory issue!

PIZAZZ
05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Whoop!