PDA

View Full Version : is [8] shipping this year?

themaxx
12-17-2003, 10:43 PM
is [8] shipping this year?

videoguy
12-18-2003, 05:48 AM
from what i have heard newteks software guys have been working well past midnight here lately to get it done but no promises

Beamtracer
12-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Newtek should wait 'till next year.

Releasing on Christmas eve would be a bad time for sales. Releasing between Christmas and new year would be even worse.

I feel sorry for those coders who are sitting in Newtek's offices past midnight to get LW8 finished, if that story is true. Someone send them some caffeine, please (or something heavier!)

themaxx
12-19-2003, 09:53 AM
i'd be much more content waiting if newtek would say something about when to expect it.

kief
12-19-2003, 10:20 AM
the lightwave [8] preview page says that it WILL ship in Q4 2003. I don't see how they could or would release it this out this year, so I don't understand why they wouldn't just make a formal postponement instead of leaving us in the dark. Its cruelty to the customers.

kief

Andyjaggy
12-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Is it just me or does Newtek seem to be very secretive and unwilling to release any information to there customers? If they aren't going to ship it the end of this year then they should simply tell us, I think most of us would be happier knowing that it won't ship until January or February then being kept in the dark waiting to see if it will be released this year or not. Or maybe they aren't sure themselves if they will be able to get it out this year. Either way it doesn't matter, I am still trying to figure 7 out! Let them take there time and do a good job, rather then throw it out in a week and then have the consumer download fix patches for the next 3 months.

Chuck
12-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi, folks!

We're listening, and we can certainly appreciate that many folks feel a need to be in the know on our progress. We know it can be frustrating not to get an immediate answer, and we do apologize if the wait in this instance is wearing for you. We have passed along the request for a status report to the LW team and executive staff.

Thank you for your patience!

Chuck

themaxx
12-19-2003, 11:47 AM
someone over at cgtalk said something about december 20, which is tomorrow. [ fingers crossed ]

themaxx
12-19-2003, 12:05 PM
i'd like to clarify that i'm not trying to annoy anyone at newtek or start a riot or anything. i am a software developer myself and i fully understand the issues (technical, political and otherwise) surrounding a new release of a flagship product.

i sympathize and i know everyone's working their *** off. i respect and applaud that. i'm just really excited about [8] and am dying to know when i get to play with it. i hope we're not stressing anyone out.

i salute you.

themaxx
12-22-2003, 01:39 PM
According to newtek customer service (1-800-862-7837), LW[8] is not shipping this year.

TyVole
12-22-2003, 02:40 PM
At least, they finally admitted it.

Now, everyone can enjoy the holidays.

themaxx
12-22-2003, 02:51 PM
agreed, though i don't understand why no one from newtek is willing to say it here in the forum.

Cutty
12-22-2003, 05:53 PM
What! Not shipping until next year! That sucks!!! But I've already paid my money. That's as bad as the Halo 2 delays. Somebody light a fire under the progammer's butt. Drive him til he drops. No food, no water, and no smoke breaks until its done. Get on it.

The Spice Must Flow.........................................

Steve McRae
12-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Hi, folks!

We're listening, and we can certainly appreciate that many folks feel a need to be in the know on our progress. We know it can be frustrating not to get an immediate answer, and we do apologize if the wait in this instance is wearing for you. We have passed along the request for a status report to the LW team and executive staff.

Thank you for your patience!

Chuck

The reason Chuck, why people "feel a need to be in the know" of your company's progress, is because many of them have purchased a product that was promised at a certain date. Now it appears that that will not happen. Your company has done absolutely nothing to quash rumors of the date being missed.

I am one of the ones who has preordered LW8 and since that time have come to regret my purchase. If I could return it and DFX, I probably would.

Please do not misunderstand me; I am not upset that it is late, I could care less. Really. I have more than enough to do right now.

What has upset me is that a company has taken my money for a product, pushed the date ahead (I think this can be safely said at this point), and refused to let their paying customers know when they can expect what they paid for. Not only that, and forgive me Chuck if I have misread the intent of your message, but it sounds a bit on the condescending side.

I would not EVER consider treating my clients this way.

Very poor Newtek.

Librarian
12-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I agree with atomman. Very poor and embarrassing. Is the intern communication of Newtek staff really that bad ? It takes a minute or less to update the release date at the preview site. Delays are normal and I understand it, but I don`t understand that the customer service is aware! of a new release date and doesn`t bother to make any official statement.
Newtek announced that 8 represents a new beginning. Show us and start right here.
Sorry for the harsh words.

colkai
12-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Proton has said there will be an update from Chuck today.
Note that I'm sure he means an update on the situation, not the actual LW[8] update.
Of course, he *might* mean that, but let's not get too excited until we hear from Chuck himself eh? ;)

To be honest, I'd be amazed (giddy - but amazed) if it were released today, just being realistic - who wants to hang around at this time of year waiting for the server to crash due to the huge traffic it is getting? :p

colkai
12-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I feel sorry for those coders who are sitting in Newtek's offices past midnight to get LW8 finished, if that story is true. Someone send them some caffeine, please (or something heavier!)

Completely agree - I know *i'd* hate it ;)

Dallasflygirl
12-27-2003, 04:06 PM
The issue here is one of what feels like "bait and switch". It is exceedingly poor business practice and customer service to not only accept order and then not ship it but to justify taking money by shipping DFX. Worse not even having the courtesy to say there will be delay. I paid my money - got DFX which I neither need or want - and still haven't received what I paid for - LW8. My feelings toward Newtek, whom I have felt good about through the years, have been permanently damaged. I will never again pay for an upgrade that is not shipping. Further if I could ever find the time to handle the learning curve will consider changing to another tool.

If executive management at Newtek reads these post - "be afraid, be very afraid" of what your marketing people have done.

Chuck
12-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Dallasflygirl
The issue here is one of what feels like "bait and switch". It is exceedingly poor business practice and customer service to not only accept order and then not ship it but to justify taking money by shipping DFX. Worse not even having the courtesy to say there will be delay. I paid my money - got DFX which I neither need or want - and still haven't received what I paid for - LW8. My feelings toward Newtek, whom I have felt good about through the years, have been permanently damaged. I will never again pay for an upgrade that is not shipping. Further if I could ever find the time to handle the learning curve will consider changing to another tool.

If executive management at Newtek reads these post - "be afraid, be very afraid" of what your marketing people have done.

NewTek's point in making available a LW[8] upgrade at an advance date was solely so that people who had already had 7.5 and wanted the DFX bundle could purchase it, and get something from NewTek into the bargain. It was never the case that the point was to pre-sell LightWave [8]. We made this point publicly many times, and also stated clearly that the reason to buy the offer was if you found the $1780 in DFX+ software and modules to be a value that you wanted, right now, for whatever reason. If you did not want DFX+, then it is completely puzzling why you would have purchased the bundle, but to state that NewTek's intent was or even appears to be "bait and switch" is simply not the case given a reasonable review of the communications we made on the matter.

We also made it clear in the overwhelming majority of our communications to the public and to media that our estimate that LW [8] would ship in the fourth quarter was precisely that, an estimate, and as such subject to change.

Lastly, we certainly did have the courtesy to announce that we will be changing our estimated shipping date. We made the announcement on these forums, which we have established for communicating with our end users. We also notified our resellers directly, so they could in turn notify their customers who are waiting. We made the best call we could on deciding that an announcement was needed and then on when and how to make it, and our timing has certainly been criticized and second-guessed, but then second-guessing is certainly the easier side of things in software development and in public relations.

Verlon
12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
so any eta on the new ship date? Will the DFX offer be extended to this new date? I could not step up to the upgrade during christmas fun, but the new year brings new possibilities, new pachecks, and new tax returns with which I can upgrade my software :)

Verlon

themaxx
12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
We also made it clear in the overwhelming majority of our communications to the public and to media that our estimate that LW [8] would ship in the fourth quarter was precisely that, an estimate, and as such subject to change.

I don't mean to antagonize, but even today the newtek site still says:
"Our Engineers are putting the finishing touches on the latest upgrade to LightWave, which will ship Q4, 2003."Someone really should update that page.

chilledaqua
01-01-2004, 09:59 AM
I was hoping i'd wake up on new years day to see at least the lightwave page updated but i still see the "Lightwave 8 Preview" page which kind of makes me upset.. I was thinking what an awesome new years present that would be. I do understand that deadlines get missed (and this has officially been missed) but newtek should at least update the page and tell them what difficulties they are having or why it would be probable that the deadline would be missed. Maybe even the HTML editers are working on the project and have no time? No idea.

Its just that im going to be working on a movie soon and i want to know what possibilities are there. I have watched the Siggraph videos on lightwave 8 but there's nothing that compares to trying the tools yourself and seeing what works because lightwave is all about having a thousand ways to do the same thing

Rali
01-05-2004, 11:36 AM
"Somebody light a fire under the progammer's butt. Drive him til he drops. No food, no water, and no smoke breaks until its done. Get on it. "

Never rush a miracle man. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

lasco
01-05-2004, 03:02 PM
but newtek should at least update the page and tell them what difficulties they are having or why it would be probable that the deadline would be missed.

come on guys let's stop kidding will you ?
I like you OF COURSE would love to have AT LEAST an info about "when"

Now please are you just capable to realize that ;
1/ some UNexpected happens may have forced Newtek to change their delay
2/ they might THEMSELVES not be sure about the date it will be OK so prefer
not tell anything now that they mistaked ONCE

3/ and ESPECIALLY folks, could you just consider that at the difference of YOU
with YOUR clients, when Newtek gives to its clients an info they also give this info
to their CHALLENGER because this is a WEBSITE !!!!

Are you okay to put a page on your website to explain your difficulties
and send a mail with a link to it to all your challengers ??????
just also add, why not : 'come one guys to kick me, here is the point where
I am the less strong !!"Ö

yens
01-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Anticipation, in and of itself, drives impatience and emotions. But when the product is as good as LW, and with the expected improvements that will be in LW 8, then the fevered pitch is magnified even more. I have a hard time looking at the delay as a personal slap in the face. I can see no logical reasoning in feeling this way. That still doesnít get rid of the emotions I have that is being produced by the anticipation. Its like tracking a UPS package that seems to have a hard time getting out of Indianapolis.

Given the quality of the product, past and present, it seems reasonable that the programmers want to make sure that they are holding to the same standards they have held to in the past. Personally, even though Iím not a proponent of frustration, I would rather deal with the delay than a buggy program.

akota
01-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Its just that im going to be working on a movie soon and i want to know what possibilities are there. I have watched the Siggraph videos on lightwave 8 but there's nothing that compares to trying the tools yourself and seeing what works because lightwave is all about having a thousand ways to do the same thing

Where can I see these Siggraph Videos?

lasco
01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
there (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15824)

chilledaqua
01-06-2004, 11:23 AM
also
http://www.tv3d.com/Sig03/LW8.htm
and
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=8782&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

akota
01-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks!