PDA

View Full Version : FBX always empty in LW

squarewulf
04-13-2017, 10:58 AM
I am trying to save out my entire scene as a solid object, so I export it as an fbx. The fbx file is rather large so i know there is data in there, however when I open it in layout it says "Unknown scene files format." and when I open it in modeler it's just blank, nothing. Moreover, when I open it in 3dsmax it works just fine.

Any ideas?

samurai_x
04-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Did you export from layout and then import in layout? Maybe corrupted scene.

prometheus
04-14-2017, 09:41 AM
I am trying to save out my entire scene as a solid object, so I export it as an fbx. The fbx file is rather large so i know there is data in there, however when I open it in layout it says "Unknown scene files format." and when I open it in modeler it's just blank, nothing. Moreover, when I open it in 3dsmax it works just fine.

Any ideas?

That says nothing...You must provide info of what original software you are using to export the fbx file? and possibly what fbx export version?
Start there.

Greenlaw
04-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Yes, are you exporting from LightWave or another program?

When exporting from a third party program, I typically use FBX 2010 for LightWave--it seems pretty reliable for all the basics. I think FBX 2011 might work for the basics too but I often fall back to 2010 out of habit. Later versions of FBX may have problems in LightWave so, when in doubt, start with the latest FBX version and work backwards until you find the one that works for you.

Hope this helps.

squarewulf
04-19-2017, 12:55 PM
I am exporting the FBX out of Layout. I've tried changing around the FBX export version/settings but have had absolutely no luck.

Greenlaw
04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
What version of LightWave are you using?

squarewulf
04-19-2017, 02:11 PM
What version of LightWave are you using?

it's especially strange since the FBX will open fine in other programs.

prometheus
04-20-2017, 05:06 AM

it's especially strange since the FBX will open fine in other programs.

It works fine for me in windows 7, lighwave 2015.3 64 bit.
Try start with some basics and other objects than the current scene you are working on, so simply add a cube and a sphere in layout..you donīt even have to save the objects first..then save it out with the fbx exporter, I had mine set like the attached file...you could accidently have some export options unchecked..like export model?

load the fbx in modeler, note...by default it loads each objectto separate layers, maybe you get them distributed there? uncheck to get it all in one layer.
hit F2 to center it all in case it happens to bes placed far off the origin.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136587&d=1492686391

Greenlaw
04-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Another thought: Try re-building your configs and reloading the plugins. It's possible that a bad config is preventing one of the plugins from loading properly and causing the FBX part of the exporter to fail.

(FYI, I keep backup configs whenever I edit my settings or plugins, just in case something like that happens. It's much quicker to get back to work this way--just drag replace, move on.)