PDA

View Full Version : Relative Temperature Visualization

FutureUser
04-13-2017, 09:00 AM
I've done 3d work off and on for several years, but mainly limited to renderings of equipment for me so show sensor data along-side of, as my primary position is that of a software engineer for a control company. So I must apologize in advance if my question seems extremely simple.

I've attached an image that my software generates to show a color mapping of relative temperatures inside of a building, similar to weather maps. The issue is that in many cases (and in fact the attached image), the sensors aren't all at the same level in a building, so I'm trying to reproduce this type of visual feedback within a 3d model. I'm thinking that either particles emitted from point sources (each sensor location) that fade to the median color as they get further away, or perhaps volumetric lights that blend into one another could produce this type of look in 3 dimensions, but so far I'm unable to make anything work. Any ideas on how you might do this, or sample files of something similar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help and ideas!

rustythe1
04-13-2017, 10:09 AM
could you use distance to object in some way, have nulls where the sensors are, set a gradient to distance from object (the null) at what ever distance, you should in theory be able to set up multiple ones if you also set the alpha for each one to fade off and have the base colour of the walls as the same as the furthest colour from the null.

pinkmouse
04-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Create your room/corridor. Add nulls to simulate the heat sources. In the nodal surfacing panel use each null to drive a black to white gradient, (with appropriate fall off). Add these together then remap with another gradient to your temperature colourmap. Simple. :)