PDA

View Full Version : new hard drives

brtaus
04-12-2017, 02:24 PM
I bought new hard drives for our 3play 4800.

when we tried to record, we got this error: Warning: heavy disk usage causing dropped frames in recording. These are brand new drives and haven't been used.

They are formatted NTFS, 2TB 7200 RPM (they exceed the minimum suggestions in the 3play manual --(All else being equal, larger drives are normally faster – try to use 1TB drives or above. Use SATA 3.0GB/s drives with rotational speed of 7200 R.P.M. (or better). Drives should have a larger onboard cache (32Mb or better is recommended).)

They are enterprise class drives. Could that be the issue?

kanep
04-12-2017, 04:46 PM
You might try a tool like 'SpeedHD' to see if one of the drives is not performing at the same level of the other drives. A drive could be new, but still faulty.
http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

Otherwise a call into support would be my next recommendation.

cherishjoo
04-13-2017, 04:02 AM
You may have to change another new drive...

imryh
04-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Why did you get new drives? Were you experiencing issues before?

brtaus
04-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Why did you get new drives? Were you experiencing issues before?

Sometimes but after two season of baseball and heavy usage, I wanted to get new hard drives (more) to rotate so I wouldn't have so much usage on them during the season.

Sensei
04-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Tell us full HD model name so we can look it up on the net..

Do you checked (new one and old one) how much they are defragmented.. ?

(All else being equal, larger drives are normally faster – try to use 1TB drives or above. Use SATA 3.0GB/s drives with rotational speed of 7200 R.P.M. (or better). Drives should have a larger onboard cache (32Mb or better is recommended).)

You're mixing units...
3.0 is in Giga bits per second (Gb/s)
while cache is Mega Bytes (MB)
MB is not the same as Mb
GB is not the same as Gb