PDA

View Full Version : Holy cow modeling in medium is incredible

Dillon
04-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Just as I suspected ... I finally had the chance to buy the Rift with Touch today. Installed without any glitches, and was soon sculpting in Medium.

This is the future, my friends. I have always struggled to model using the mouse/keyboard and 2D screen. But now that I can manipulate and paint in 3D while holding my model, it's just liberating. There's so many possibilities now.

I'm assuming LW3D Group knows this already. God, I hope so.

rustythe1
04-08-2017, 05:50 PM
it wont take off in a production environment so I doubt they would bother as that's where things like lightwave are aimed, even short term effects of using VR for majority of people can have bad vision effects, headaches etc, if you used it 12 hours a day every day in production you would end up suffering migranes and al sorts, there are many calls for long term research into already as the side effects could be more serious than first thought, I know loads of people that cant even wear normal 3d glasses due to disorientation etc so Vr is bound to go the same way as 3D as the masses just will not be able to cope, I think the hollo lens is the only on that could have stand a chance as that's more a augmented, but even that seems to have stagnated right at the start,
VR is the same as motion control, 3D, ETC ETC, its just a Fad and not for the masses,

samurai_x
04-08-2017, 10:01 PM
VR is only good for short sessions.
They dont really pay you at work for short sessions. :)

3d movies is also on the decline. Who else is doing it other than cameron?

pming
04-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Hiya!

Never heard of it. Just watched the video on the Occulus site. It's...."cute".

...call me when they have gloves that let me use my fingers to push, pull, and sculpt like clay...and they have a 'workshop' that has specialized 3DVR tools hanging on the walls and sitting on benches so that if I want to add an Edge Loop, I can pick up the "Edge Loop Pen", place the tip on the model, see the edge loop on my model, then click my pointer finger and thumb on my other hand to insert it. Until then, I'll stick with ye olde rodent and letter-board.

Markc
04-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Having played a few games on my GearVR, I have to agree.
After 20-30 mins I have to stop, it really messes with your senses (unlike the old days of playing Halo for hours and hours on a tv screen).

I can understand the need for research into the long term effects this may have (especially kids playing PSVR all day).

We all remember the Lawnmower Man.

Personally I use my Rift with LW Ubercam to view 360 render stills.

erikals
04-09-2017, 05:18 AM
hopefully they will get glasses-free cinemas soon, Cameron talked about this 3 years ago, haven't heard anything since... :/
maybe Cinema3D can kick it... > http://news.mit.edu/2016/glasses-free-3d-larger-scale-0725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FFpim546Q

oh... > Avatar 3 glasses-free ?
http://www.slashfilm.com/glasses-free-3d-avatar-sequels

jeric_synergy
04-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Some of these comments seem EXTREMELY short-sighted, especially considering the hundreds of examples of tech that DID migrate into production after legions of nay-sayers. The comment about "edge loops" seems out of place: edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.

Early mice (and thanks to steve jobs, even later mice) sucked rocks, I'm reasonably sure the physical UI will improve.

The comments have the tone of old farts sitting around griping about digitial imaging, or chip cameras. Meanwhile the guy who actually experienced it is pooh-poohed. Y'all will be working for him.

bazsa73
04-09-2017, 11:20 AM
edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.
But Jeric! Zbrush is full of edgeloop functionality, there's a dedicated panel for edgeloops, there is edgeloop in the Zmodeler tool, on the deformation subpalettetool whatever etc.

Kaptive
04-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Some of these comments seem EXTREMELY short-sighted, especially considering the hundreds of examples of tech that DID migrate into production after legions of nay-sayers. The comment about "edge loops" seems out of place: edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.

Early mice (and thanks to steve jobs, even later mice) sucked rocks, I'm reasonably sure the physical UI will improve.

The comments have the tone of old farts sitting around griping about digitial imaging, or chip cameras. Meanwhile the guy who actually experienced it is pooh-poohed. Y'all will be working for him.

It's true! :)

LW3dG should have VR in their sights. It is actually an easy platform to cater for on the basic level.
VR technology is still in development (but pretending to be a consumer product), waiting for the next leap that will bring the price right down and easier to wear/control, and then it'll be everywhere, mark my words. This time it isn't going away. The next 5 years we will also see a move away from pre-rendered into live, with VR experiences becoming a more mainstream thing.

If nothing else, it is a new artform to explore. I'd recommend to anyone here, if they have a VR capable phone (and buy a cheap headset for it) along with Lightwave:- Render out some of your work and experience it rather than just look at it on a screen. It feels very different, and exciting to stand in worlds you have created that were once locked away on the other side of the black mirror.
Regarding VR, you want to be on the crest of the wave when it breaks, not dragging in the wake. But that is just my opinion and what not. :P

p.s. Personal predictions for VR...
1. You will be able to watch all of the new Avatar movies in your VR headsets as a 360 filmatic experience. I'll eat my hat if that isn't the scope of his idea. #
2. HL3 will come out with the next phase of consumer affordable VR.
3. Facebook (or someone with resources, like Google) will release a VR world like second life but next level. You'll probably be able to make a part of your living creating content for it in 5-10 years and it will eventually have its own economy.

These will be the must have VR products that will hurtle it into the mainstream in the years to come. Anyone who has tried VR seems to love it, and it blows 3D TV and films out of the water and shouldn't be judged to be similar. 3D failed because it is a gimick for the most part. VR is the future waiting to happen, baby steps. You might not like it, but I don't think you can stop it. There are people out there who are wanting to make a whole ocean full of money, with new horizons to discover in disposable consumables!
If you don't explore it, you may just get left behind.

Dillon
04-09-2017, 11:42 AM
This is totally incorrect.

Personally, I just came out of 90 minutes solid of practicing with Medium. This app is liberating.

I suggest you actually try it before passing judgement on it. Very capable tool, and I ******* love it.

VR is only good for short sessions.
They dont really pay you at work for short sessions. :)

Dillon
04-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Bingo!

Anyone who's taken the time to research what's happening in technology knows this is simply inevitable.

Adapt or get left behind.

It's true! :)

LW3dG should have VR in their sights. It is actually an easy platform to cater for on the basic level.
VR technology is still in development (but pretending to be a consumer product), waiting for the next leap that will bring the price right down and easier to wear/control, and then it'll be everywhere, mark my words. This time it isn't going away. The next 5 years we will also see a move away from pre-rendered into live, with VR experiences becoming a more mainstream thing.

If nothing else, it is a new artform to explore. I'd recommend to anyone here, if they have a VR capable phone (and buy a cheap headset for it) along with Lightwave:- Render out some of your work and experience it rather than just look at it on a screen. It feels very different, and exciting to stand in worlds you have created that were once locked away on the other side of the black mirror.
Regarding VR, you want to be on the crest of the wave when it breaks, not dragging in the wake. But that is just my opinion and what not. :P

p.s. Personal predictions for VR...
1. You will be able to watch all of the new Avatar movies in your VR headsets as a 360 filmatic experience. I'll eat my hat if that isn't the scope of his idea. #
2. HL3 will come out with the next phase of consumer affordable VR.
3. Facebook (or someone with resources, like Google) will release a VR world like second life but next level. You'll probably be able to make a part of your living creating content for it in 5-10 years and it will eventually have its own economy.

These will be the must have VR products that will hurtle it into the mainstream in the years to come. Anyone who has tried VR seems to love it, and it blows 3D TV and films out of the water and shouldn't be judged to be similar. 3D failed because it is a gimick for the most part. VR is the future waiting to happen, baby steps. You might not like it, but I don't think you can stop it. There are people out there who are wanting to make a whole ocean full of money, with new horizons to discover in disposable consumables!
If you don't explore it, you may just get left behind.

Dillon
04-09-2017, 12:15 PM
If I were Rob, I would most likely be heavily invested in VR/AR already.

Look at the pre pro work process he helped to DEVELOP with James Cameron on Avatar. IIRC, a lot (if not most) of the technology in LIVE Studio tools for Lightwave came from tools used for Avator.

Implementing HMD and hand controllers seems like a next logical step, to me. If I were Rob Powers.

And in addition to that, I would surmise that maybe a sort of native VPR style render that instantly goes out to the HMD while working in LW / Modeler....

Guys?

prometheus
04-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Vr department ala avatar is a completely different thing than Vr modeling, from what I have seen ..modeling in vr seems tiresome and not very efficient or different from using standard sculpting.
When each fingertip can be a brush, without lag..with full pressure sensitivity and the UI to choose your hud floating tool pallette is made to make sense, then we may have something, but then think about how much power it takes to get even one brush to work on a high density model today, so I would suspect itīs still a long way to go.

As long as I can have a support pad where may hands can be resting while using fingers only to model, then it will make sense if they can also adapt the functionality and power I mentioned above, in fact you may be able to lay in the bed and model in ways you canīt with a standard computer today, just think about how the lower arms can be held straight up in the bed ..supported by the upper arms without any direct strain on the muscles.

Dillon
04-09-2017, 01:04 PM
To each, his own!

This tool is completely liberating me. My Achilles heel of 3D has always been modeling. After working with Medium for a few hours, I am convinced this will be a formidable tool, akin to zbrush. The interactivity is so immediately engaging, that once you experience it, you'll never want to go back. I swear, it's that good.

In due time. Will probably take another year for everyone else to catch on.

(Yay!)

Vr department ala avatar is a completely different thing than Vr modeling, from what I have seen ..modeling in vr seems tiresome and not very efficient or different from using standard sculpting.
When each fingertip can be a brush, without lag..with full pressure sensitivity and the UI to choose your hud floating tool pallette is made to make sense, then we may have something, but then think about how much power it takes to get even one brush to work on a high density model today, so I would suspect itīs still a long way to go.

As long as I can have a support pad where may hands can be resting while using fingers only to model, then it will make sense if they can also adapt the functionality and power I mentioned above, in fact you may be able to lay in the bed and model in ways you canīt with a standard computer today, just think about how the lower arms can be held straight up in the bed ..supported by the upper arms without any direct strain on the muscles.

samurai_x
04-09-2017, 02:05 PM

You obviously need more time with 3dcoat and zbrushl. Lol.
Mythbusted!

samurai_x
04-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Mythbusted!

This is totally incorrect.

Personally, I just came out of 90 minutes solid of practicing with Medium. This app is liberating.

I suggest you actually try it before passing judgement on it. Very capable tool, and I ******* love it.

I have a PSVR and can't play more than 2 hours. Lets see you play for 8 hours a day at work.
Yuu would be tha korean kid who died from over playing starcraft.
Or have those thick glasses and blind as a bat at an early age. :p

prometheus
04-09-2017, 03:33 PM
To each, his own!

This tool is completely liberating me. My Achilles heel of 3D has always been modeling. After working with Medium for a few hours, I am convinced this will be a formidable tool, akin to zbrush. The interactivity is so immediately engaging, that once you experience it, you'll never want to go back. I swear, it's that good.

In due time. Will probably take another year for everyone else to catch on.

(Yay!)

the problem I see with what is exposed, itīs partly the output looks horrible, mostly foam styled sprayed low res figures from what I have seen, apart from that ..the UI icons looks awful.
What may be cool is to sort of work as a true sculptur would, and I have no doubt this may be the future, but itīs not something I think I would like to work with in itīs current state.

Exactly what is it that makes this vr modeling better for you than say...working in brush, mudbox, 3d coat or blender for sculpting? do you get a better navigation? better visual of the area you want to sculpt on..and why is that better than
ordinary sculpting views or tools?

maybe itīs the resoluion availbe at sculpt realtime, or the lighting/shading or just the annoying recorded navigation...I donīt like any of how it is displayed, I can imagine though that it may give some interesting navigation options that ordinary mouse or space navigator input controls might not give you, I rather take a look at speed sculpts displayed in zbrush or blender though.
But that said...I need to try it I guess.

jwiede
04-09-2017, 04:50 PM
LW doesn't have _any_ sculpting, so LW3DG should probably address that first, and then think about sculpting in VR.

Pragmatically, 3D pkgs require much more complex interaction than the Oculus Touch controller's few buttons can easily facilitate -- without much better tactile/haptic feedback, etc. operations like VR keyboards are still some time off, and practically that's essential for broader 3D workflows. Current VR tech simply cannot yet support the kinds of complex UI input interactions needed for production 3D work. AR headsets are more promising in terms of allowing use of existing input devices, at least, but aren't much better off when it comes to more complex 3D UI interactions.

VR also still creates severe occupational safety issues that must be overcome before businesses can really consider widespread usage suitable from a liability standpoint. Smacking into furniture, falls, etc. can be EULA-exculpated away as "inherent risk" for users in the home (for now -- major injury lawsuits will come, just wait). For workplace safety, a very different and much more stringent set of laws apply, and such issues cannot simply be EULA'd away for employees. AR offers some advantages in safety, but that lack of isolation also significantly limits immersion (and thus utility) compared to full-on VR tech.

While it's interesting to see the kinds of experimentation currently available, what is available now is nowhere near supporting the level of finesse and detail (and duration of operation) that must occur to support business 3D workflows. While VR and AR may find sections of workflow where current tech does offer value (esp. for uses like VAD walkthroughs, and other 3D "observation" cases), there is still a very long list of major problems that must be overcome before VR (or even AR) are able, let alone likely, to replace modern workstations for 3D DCC workflows in any broad segment of industry.

ConjureBunny
04-09-2017, 07:07 PM
The VR headset giving you stereoscopic vision into your model area is a huge win.

The hand flapping, low precision controllers are a huge loss.

VR with something like Zbrush and a mouse and keyboard would be ideal, IMO.

-Chilton

erikals
04-10-2017, 03:26 AM
LW doesn't have _any_ sculpting, so LW3DG should probably address that first, and then think about sculpting in VR.
the problem is Modeler, which either needs to be moved into Layout, or needs a new faster Hydra Engine implementation (like LW2017Layout) or both.

until then, Sculpting in Modeler is a no-go... it's just waay too slow.
http://s14445.storage.proboards.com/3434445/i/WQfbER6KpEjYORP57Zq2.png

---------------

personally, as a VR alternative, i would just sculpt it with clay or such, V⃥R, then 3Dscan it, faster / better  (imo)
PhotoScan > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyXZOyu2G4

Kaptive
04-10-2017, 03:41 AM
Thing is, I'm all for the VR experience... but I think it will always be better for someone to do most of the ground work on a 2d screen, and then maybe at the end go into VR to check it out and make small adjustments. If you create in VR, you do take away a little of the excitement of viewing it when completed. However, i do understand Dillons want for a modelling approach that suits him, and I'm really glad it's working. It can only get better over time.

Another way to look at it all, is that maybe in 10 years time, VR headsets will work very differently. They might not be screen based, and the old problem of viewing distance and heavy headsets might vanish. The software and development on the other hand, that has been ongoing all this time is still valid and advanced. There will probably come a point when working in 2d is archaic, and the virtual world will be an invisible layer that sits on top of our physical reality. A virtual dimension. All this stuff will come about given enough time. Either that or we blow everything up. One of the two. :D

mav3rick
04-10-2017, 05:53 AM
the problem is Modeler, which either needs to be moved into Layout, or needs a new faster Hydra Engine implementation (like LW2017Layout) or both.

until then, Sculpting in Modeler is a no-go... it's just waay too slow.
http://s14445.storage.proboards.com/3434445/i/WQfbER6KpEjYORP57Zq2.png

hmmm are u really really really sure we have hydra in 2017... i wouldn't be that much excited until i see it

erikals
04-10-2017, 06:03 AM
no-no, that's not what i said at all. notice i wrote "...needs a faster..."
so, a feature request, nothing else.

the 2017 Layout however, will have some Hydra tech, how much of it that is implemented in 2017? i have no idea.
but i'm talking about the new Mesh Engine here...

but the important thing is, Modeler needs a SpeedUp.

hrgiger
04-10-2017, 06:18 AM

Modeler needs a complete rewrite.

Amd maybe in another 10 years VR will be useful for content creation. Right now its a gimmick.

erikals
04-10-2017, 06:25 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Modeler needs a complete rewrite.
yep.

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Maybe in another 10 years VR will be useful for content creation. Right now its a gimmick.
yep. make that 20.

Danner
04-10-2017, 06:29 AM
Full disclosure: I've been gaming, developing and creating things in VR for about a year.

And this are my conclusions:
VR is the real deal.
It's not perfect yet.
You can get tired.
you get used to it so it gets better.
If you take a 15 min break you can go back in for hours.

Modeling in it is pretty awesome for several reasons. The biggest one for me is that the sense of scale is incredible, you can model things with any 3d app and not be sure about the scale, in VR you know instantly if something is off, because you have stereoscopic vision and motion tracked head and controllers, thus you feel like you are there, indescribable till you try a high-end VR headset (Vive, Rift, and to a lesser extent PSVR). The other big reason is navigation, you use your whole body naturally to walk around an object, and or you can rotate/scale/move it using your arms, the co-relation and feedback is instant and relative to your movements, in real life if you want to rotate a chair you pick it up, and spin it, it's the same thing (sans weight). The interface is still in development and there are several 3d apps doing things all a bit different.

A disadvantage I forgot to mention was space. You need a lot more room to do things in VR. Some guy was asking in the forums for a laptop do do octane because he doesn't have room for a desktop PC.. You need free room of at least 1.5 x 1.5m (5'x 5') for it to be confortable, even if it works with less.

erikals
04-10-2017, 06:33 AM
VR for entertainment & science. Sure. i welcome it, might get a system in not too long.

it's not a Fad, but the question is if it after a few years will "take a long break".

looking very much forward to testing it further.   http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

hrgiger
04-10-2017, 06:57 AM
i see a lot of responses like oh dont knock it until you try it. And thats a fair statement. But i think its also fair to say i havent seen a lot of quality work being done with VR, not like the sheer amount of work you see being done by traditional modeling or sculpting apps without VR. I dont see the same kind of precision or detail being possible yet. Its fun, its cool, its a new thing, we get it. But I think i will wait until i see its capable of quality work without long term health concerns.

mummyman
04-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Just as I suspected ... I finally had the chance to buy the Rift with Touch today. Installed without any glitches, and was soon sculpting in Medium.

This is the future, my friends. I have always struggled to model using the mouse/keyboard and 2D screen. But now that I can manipulate and paint in 3D while holding my model, it's just liberating. There's so many possibilities now.

Hey! Congrats! VR will pick up hopefully. Especially with people like you tinkering and giving things a try. I'm on my 3rd 360 stereo video for Vr. and it's pretty awesome stuff. Not interactive, but still amazing. So there is money to be made for sure.. I only have a HTC Vive, so can't try that app. But it sounds very cool. It's only in the early phases. As machines and graphics pickup.. then the games and apps can be pushed further! Not to be a replacement...but an enhancement, or plugin. They are already using it for pre production/animatic stuff.. so that's cool.

Dillon
04-10-2017, 10:31 AM
All sorts of this.

Unless you experience it for yourself, there's no way to understand how VR works when creating.

With one hand, I can hold and twist / move / rotate the object while sculpting with the other hand. My arms don't get tired as I'm not constantly holding them up all the time. Arm rests come in handy!

Also, a 15 minute break can completely recharge you and you can dive right back in.

So yeah, it's possible to work in VR for 8 - 12 hours a day.

And Medium is not considered a complete product yet. Next version coming out supports UV texturing, retopology, and other nifty production geared tools. It's still being developed, and it's pretty strong for what it does now.

Full disclosure: I've been gaming, developing and creating things in VR for about a year.

And this are my conclusions:
VR is the real deal.
It's not perfect yet.
You can get tired.
you get used to it so it gets better.
If you take a 15 min break you can go back in for hours.

Modeling in it is pretty awesome for several reasons. The biggest one for me is that the sense of scale is incredible, you can model things with any 3d app and not be sure about the scale, in VR you know instantly if something is off, because you have stereoscopic vision and motion tracked head and controllers, thus you feel like you are there, indescribable till you try a high-end VR headset (Vive, Rift, and to a lesser extent PSVR). The other big reason is navigation, you use your whole body naturally to walk around an object, and or you can rotate/scale/move it using your arms, the co-relation and feedback is instant and relative to your movements, in real life if you want to rotate a chair you pick it up, and spin it, it's the same thing (sans weight). The interface is still in development and there are several 3d apps doing things all a bit different.

A disadvantage I forgot to mention was space. You need a lot more room to do things in VR. Some guy was asking in the forums for a laptop do do octane because he doesn't have room for a desktop PC.. You need free room of at least 1.5 x 1.5m (5'x 5') for it to be confortable, even if it works with less.

mav3rick
04-10-2017, 10:37 AM
no-no, that's not what i said at all. notice i wrote "...needs a faster..."
so, a feature request, nothing else.

the 2017 Layout however, will have some Hydra tech, how much of it that is implemented in 2017? i have no idea.
but i'm talking about the new Mesh Engine here...

i think curent mesh engine has nothin to do with hydra or core or whatever technology... it is just facelifted mesh engine that still has long way to go to call it fast.... i am pretty much sure we are not gonna notice any big improvements in performances regarding high poly count scenes... specially instances.

mummyman
04-10-2017, 10:58 AM
All sorts of this.

Unless you experience it for yourself, there's no way to understand how VR works when creating.

With one hand, I can hold and twist / move / rotate the object while sculpting with the other hand. My arms don't get tired as I'm not constantly holding them up all the time. Arm rests come in handy!

Also, a 15 minute break can completely recharge you and you can dive right back in.

So yeah, it's possible to work in VR for 8 - 12 hours a day.

And Medium is not considered a complete product yet. Next version coming out supports UV texturing, retopology, and other nifty production geared tools. It's still being developed, and it's pretty strong for what it does now.

Shooting Zombies in VR made my hands shakey after a while. No breaks though...

jeric_synergy
04-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Most people don't start in any kind of 3d: they start on paper. In the near future I think the progression will be: paper, digital, virtual. Eventually, as the tech matures, people will shorten various segments, JUST AS THEY HAVE WITH 2D, NON-VIRTUAL APPS.

But for those just blowing it off, have you listened to your grandfathers lately?

One thing I hope will happen is environment layout won't have that "a caffeinated 10-yo designed this" look that is common with current efforts: VR gives you a better experience of spatial relations. Because you are "actually" (not actually) standing inside your design and you can see "Oh, I'd definitely hit my hip here."

Signal to Noise
04-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Visions of a dev office with CG Artists with headsets on, mouths open, completely oblivious to their surrondings for 10+ hour work days in VR. I shudder at the thought. Get the drool buckets ready. I hope this is nothing but a novelty for temporary kicks & giggles.

And no, I'm not some old curmudgeon.

mummyman
04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
This looks fun: https://vimeo.com/208893223?utm_source=Storyboard+VR&utm_campaign=ccd86f985c-Storyboard_VR_Update_Signups&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6dccb6e011-ccd86f985c-1205902081&mc_cid=ccd86f985c&mc_eid=7405e49798

People sure are putting lots of cash into VR investments.. and AR soon

Dillon
04-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Novelty? This is why Samsung, Facebook, Google, Apple, and Magic Leap are spending billions on developing the technology?

Visions of a dev office with CG Artists with headsets on, mouths open, completely oblivious to their surrondings for 10+ hour work days in VR. I shudder at the thought. Get the drool buckets ready. I hope this is nothing but a novelty for temporary kicks & giggles.

And no, I'm not some old curmudgeon.

stiff paper
04-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Meh. Novelty.

It was a novelty the last couple of times people spent $millions on VR and told everybody it was the unavoidable immediate future. I don't see any compelling reason why it won't be a novelty again this time. VR has a track record and, frankly, its track record sucks. It's a repeat offender in the "No, no. This time we really mean it!" business.

How's that 3D TV working out for you?

Norka
04-10-2017, 03:43 PM
If humans were physically capable of wearing VR stuff for hours on end, without getting migraines, puking their guts out, or going completely bat-sh*t crazy, then yeah, it would probably be a whole different ballgame. VR technology is finally at a place where minds can truly be blown and really wonderful things can be done with it, but only for short periods of time. I think it will definitely be a part of our lives to some degree from here on out, but when all the hype dies down, it will not be a terrible amount in the end. I work in a realm where I can, and will, make money in VR, but I'll never wear VR gear any more than necessary. I like to keep it REAL. ;-)

rustythe1
04-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Meh. Novelty.

It was a novelty the last couple of times people spent $millions on VR and told everybody it was the unavoidable immediate future. I don't see any compelling reason why it won't be a novelty again this time. VR has a track record and, frankly, its track record sucks. It's a repeat offender in the "No, no. This time we really mean it!" business.

How's that 3D TV working out for you?

yes, I remember in the late 80s, early 90s when VR headsets first came to the arcades etc, was everywhere on TV, then all of a sudden, dead. and funny enough, the tech does not look much different, so has it really advanced that much to be a game changer in over 25 years?

rustythe1
04-10-2017, 05:54 PM
oh yea, the first image is from 1992, on an amiga, see where I am going with that!

Zerowaitstate
04-10-2017, 10:45 PM
I get tired of banging on about VR being a real thing

I guess this guy has no idea

https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/851165825268625410

I guess... its new its scary ... it simply just not the way it is done!

i imagine thats what some animators thought about the Amiga and the 1st version of Lightwave.

Guess what in the 1st few years 3d App were pretty clunky

There is no doubt there is room for improvement in many aspect of VR this is only the 1st iteration of affordable gear.

Being involved in 3D animation used to involve being on the cutting edge of tech in both hardware and software. Pushing the envelope.

/rant over

stiff paper
04-11-2017, 02:52 AM
I guess this guy has no idea
https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/851165825268625410

Oh. You mean the guy who was mired in controversy way back when, having been accused of stealing his first attempt at a computer OS from somebody else because he was too dumb to actually write one for himself? You mean the guy whose company then produced terrible garbage until IBM gave them some hints and some source code so that Win 2000 could end up actually working reasonably well? That guy?

I guess... its new its scary ... it simply just not the way it is done!
It's at least 25 years old. In computer terms that's very, very old. And it isn't scary. It's laughable.

Neuromancer was published in 1984. People have been wheeling out this same tired, sad "Oooh, you so scared of awesome new tech!" nonsense ever since.

Danner
04-11-2017, 03:48 AM
yes, I remember in the late 80s, early 90s when VR headsets first came to the arcades etc, was everywhere on TV, then all of a sudden, dead. and funny enough, the tech does not look much different, so has it really advanced that much to be a game changer in over 25 years?

Oh it's different all right. For a really immersive experience, (one that fools your brain that you are really in another place) 90 frames per second are necessary (it works with 60fps but it doesn't feel as real) Video cards have to send two different images, one for each eye, and also they have to distort the image to compensate for the lens distortion. A GTX 1080 TI is the only card that will run games at their full glory in VR now, a 980ti works but you have to keep things simple and can't use oversampling (makes everything less pixelated) in many of the graphically demanding games and experiences. Perfect positional tracking was only recently achieved (outside of million dollar military sims) So yeah there were was no technology back in the 90s capable of anything remotely close to current consumer VR HMDs.

Norka
04-11-2017, 05:31 AM
And just as important is the VR rendering tech and content.

mummyman
04-11-2017, 06:50 AM
If humans were physically capable of wearing VR stuff for hours on end, without getting migraines, puking their guts out, or going completely bat-sh*t crazy, then yeah, it would probably be a whole different ballgame. VR technology is finally at a place where minds can truly be blown and really wonderful things can be done with it, but only for short periods of time. I think it will definitely be a part of our lives to some degree from here on out, but when all the hype dies down, it will not be a terrible amount in the end. I work in a realm where I can, and will, make money in VR, but I'll never wear VR gear any more than necessary. I like to keep it REAL. ;-)

Agreed

ianr
04-11-2017, 07:10 AM

Yeah, The Boxes Are Cheaper & the frame rate up. Headresses are Neater.

But I don't call 'Neuromancer' Yet, It does seem like a Second dose of Snake-Oil.

BTW. I still got my Atari Power- Glove for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Loft!

jeric_synergy
04-11-2017, 10:03 AM
BTW. I still got my Atari Power- Glove for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Loft!

You know, stop-motion animators can use Power Gloves as remote devices to record and check frames. IIRC, one of the Robot Chicken guys hacked his up: it looked DAMN convenient.

squarewulf
04-11-2017, 11:18 AM
You know, stop-motion animators can use Power Gloves as remote devices to record and check frames. IIRC, one of the Robot Chicken guys hacked his up: it looked DAMN convenient.

Just looked it up
https://vimeo.com/116585007

Very cool!

prometheus
04-11-2017, 11:23 AM
One have to ask some things, like...

Does the vr provide a better view of your model..and is that so immensly superior to a simple viewport view in standard sculpting software? and if so..what gain does such view provide over standard sculpting software?

Does the VR provide a better navigation..than simple mouse/space navigator/tablet ...or does the vr navigation actually relies on more larger movements with hands and fingers that are way more tiresome than simple mouse controls for changing view navigation?

Does the VR provide a better brush tool and input for the sculpted area than standard sculping software?

Does the VR provide a better resolution and shading than the standard sculpting software?

Those are some of the main questions I think nails down why you should pick the one above the other, if thereīs too many noīs on the VR side, I wouldnīt bother investing in vr for modeling/sculpting.
For getting in to games or investigating environments to just feel like you are there ...that is another thing though, and it wonīt comprimise a modeling or sculpting session.

Danner
04-11-2017, 11:49 AM
1. a. Yes, and no. high polycounts tend to choke VR, as well as complex shaders and lighting. On the other hand, the model is there with you. So it is much easier to see errors in it, rotating it is much more intuitive and like I keep repeating, the sense of scale is very accurate.

1. b. Interactivity with the model is much more natural, but the tools are not all there yet.

2. Brushes are not as varied as in zbrush, but the input is definitely better.

3. resolution is not as simple as in the flat world, you can look all around you, so you would need a huge monitor with incredible resolution to pull that off, on the other hand the thing your eyes are looking is not as sharp or as "high res" as in a decent monitor. Your graphics card power and headset resolution play roles in this but it's not as straight forward, if you use a higher resolution headset (they are being sold) you'll just stress the videocard even more. In a nutshell, it's adequate but not as good as it could be.

I did not invest on the Vive for modeling (yes there are sculpting apps for the Vive) and I haven't used the modeling capabilities for work (yet) but I am sure that this will be viable pretty soon when the software catches up.

wyattharris
04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
I've used some form of every VR generation. The dual screen visor for the SNES and Genesis, the Arcade standup systems, the Virtual Boy and a few others.
I owned the original Oculus dev edition and came to a similar conclusion as the previous attempts. Gimmicky, clunky, works okay but doesn't add much to the existing game experience. I was good for a few hours before getting woozy but my coworker got sick after 5 minutes.

I recently tried the latest Oculus Rift at a store demo with the new hand grips as well. Man, what a difference! The original was jittery, would start to drift off axis and the resolution was low. The Rift was rock solid, never lost sync with my direction, there was no shake at all and the hand grips work flawlessly. The resolution is now high enough as to not draw your focus. I tried the rock climbing game which includes some pretty twitchy moves toward the end. You have to hold onto this ledge, pull yourself hard enough to sling your body to the next ledge and then grab it with the other hand because its too far... well too far for my wingspan. It was cool too. I could tell that I missed the first attempt, like not a system glitch I just missed, but nailed it the second time.

If you tried earlier versions of the Oculus it might be a good time to try the Rift, it really has come a long way. And this is from someone who tried it and wasn't impressed the first time.

Now onto the sculpting, the newest grips are pretty precise. If they keep getting more and more tactile (I'm sure they will with the money getting thrown at it) and if Pixo releases a VR version of ZBrush, I'm all over that.

jeric_synergy
04-11-2017, 08:31 PM
IMO Oculus is a rather b.s. company: VIVE has been much more businesslike and interesting to me. I much prefer their "vibe" to Oculus.

VIVE/HTC meets deadlines, and didn't have a very sketchy front-man.

Revanto
04-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Mythbusted!

In terms of actually a natural feeling of sculpting, I think that Sculptris is superior to both Zbrush AND 3d Coat. The first time I tried sculpting in Sculptris I thought to myself "oh, man! I'm actually sculpting how I want to sculpt!" And this is all using a standard mouse and laptop screen. Sculptris has only three flaws: 1) It can crash at unexpected moments (although there is a auto save to back you up so you get your model back when you start up again) 2) The brush can sometimes 'shrink' to zero on some parts of the mesh meaning you can't sculpt 3) They could have added more tools (not all, though) from Zbrush that could have made this tool ultra awesome.

In regards to VR, I have serious concerns in relation to health especially since the head and brain are very sensitive electrical areas of the body. But I won't get into that as I'm sure that it may ruin the flow of the thread.

I have my own idea or a 3d modelling program which allowed sculpting but which also mixed CAD-like modelling for hard surfaces. If LW Next fixes the edge weighting tools then it will be a boon to hard edge modelling.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Dillon
04-11-2017, 09:13 PM
.... and if Pixo releases a VR version of ZBrush, I'm all over that.

I'm expecting it to happen. :D

samurai_x
04-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Dillion do you wear glasses? Do you have eye insurance in your company? Its part of an annual benefit for employees working in computer related jobs.

Myopia epidemic is real. An increase of more than 50% in global population in the 1st world countries are affected. Where smartphones, tablets and computer related work are prevalent. They are even introducing bluefilters in monitors not just smartphones now.

By the time these people are 40 and above they will have retinal damage and cataracts. And at age 40 and above people have trouble seeing near objects and can't read bottle labels, etc. Double whammy.

People should not wear led screens 3-4 inches away from the eyes for more than 2 hours a day.
I'm not against virtual reality experience. I'm against the method of delivery.

Norka
04-12-2017, 06:21 AM
^ Yes. Well said.

Hey, maybe the office walls, floors, and ceilings will be like one giant OLED monitor before long... then VR will be doable for 8-10 hours a day. Though, that may still make folks bat-sh*t crazy...

ianr
04-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Thanks Jeric, I might dust it off, U gonna a link to that? Please

prometheus
04-12-2017, 11:38 AM
In terms of actually a natural feeling of sculpting, I think that Sculptris is superior to both Zbrush AND 3d Coat. The first time I tried sculpting in Sculptris I thought to myself "oh, man! I'm actually sculpting how I want to sculpt!" And this is all using a standard mouse and laptop screen. Sculptris has only three flaws: 1) It can crash at unexpected moments (although there is a auto save to back you up so you get your model back when you start up again) 2) The brush can sometimes 'shrink' to zero on some parts of the mesh meaning you can't sculpt 3) They could have added more tools (not all, though) from Zbrush that could have made this tool ultra awesome.

In regards to VR, I have serious concerns in relation to health especially since the head and brain are very sensitive electrical areas of the body. But I won't get into that as I'm sure that it may ruin the flow of the thread.

I have my own idea or a 3d modelling program which allowed sculpting but which also mixed CAD-like modelling for hard surfaces. If LW Next fixes the edge weighting tools then it will be a boon to hard edge modelling.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

He...I havenīt hardly used sculptris since I got in to messing with sculpting in blender, so for me..Yes, blender feels more natural, partly the shading with matcap and ambient occlusion, the brush clay types, and the dynamic topo feels better.

Bog
04-12-2017, 02:29 PM
It's a nice start. It's insanely exciting. One of these days, it'll basically be Zbrush.

Works great in the Vive, too. (Yay for reVive, making good on the promise Oculus didn't keep).

djwaterman
04-12-2017, 07:24 PM
In the modern working environment, the VR guy is doomed to be the guy who has his pens stolen, kick me signs attached to his back and his coffee substituted with warm vinegar.

samurai_x
04-12-2017, 11:51 PM
In the modern working environment, the VR guy is doomed to be the guy who has his pens stolen, kick me signs attached to his back and his coffee substituted with warm vinegar.

Or he could fall flat on his face like this video.
https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/videos/1768401686522610/

https://s23.postimg.org/61uroq0kb/Capture.jpg
popup guy Lol

djwaterman
04-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Yep, there will be blood.

jeric_synergy
04-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Glad to see negativity still rules.

Meanwhile: it'd be interesting if the OP spent a signficant time in VR modeling, at least an hour, and reported back how blissful/nightmarish the experience actually was, rather than these uninformed gassy speculations. Reality trumps theory, and no doubt there's obvious improvements to be made in these early days.

unstable
04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
I agree with you jeric. These would have been the same folks telling Thomas Edison that no electric light will catch on because it will either be too bright and blind us all or no be any brighter than a candle. The truth is very few people have the ability have the ability to realize today's failures result in future successes. Where there is money, they will definitely succeed. Who knows, this may lead us to VR without the need for a head set. We just don't know what the future holds, but I probably won't be around to see much of it. :D

Bog
04-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Is there anyone who'll still work with you?

jeric_synergy
04-13-2017, 06:10 PM
I'll tell ya, playing with Tilt Brush is SUPER fun. But currently it's tough to share one's creations.

For me, creating an environment was the attraction: my 2nd time out, I made a little "jungle clearing". Applause from the crowd.

samurai_x
04-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Glad to see negativity still rules.

Meanwhile: it'd be interesting if the OP spent a signficant time in VR modeling, at least an hour, and reported back how blissful/nightmarish the experience actually was, rather than these uninformed gassy speculations. Reality trumps theory, and no doubt there's obvious improvements to be made in these early days.

But you're the king of doing that. You nitpick about the lw manual and small insignificant things people don't actually care about. :D

wyattharris
04-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Myopia epidemic is real. An increase of more than 50% in global population in the 1st world countries are affected. Where smartphones, tablets and computer related work are prevalent. They are even introducing bluefilters in monitors not just smartphones now.

People should not wear led screens 3-4 inches away from the eyes for more than 2 hours a day.
I'm not against virtual reality experience. I'm against the method of delivery.
Weelllllll, I'm 42 and have been in the computer industry for 20+ years. I still have better than perfect vision. My Mom on the other hand had the same thing until around 45 when she developed press-myopia. She had spent very little time if any around computers.

The fact is your eyesight begins to fail around that age. I'm sure in a few years I'll have the joy of dealing with it but it has little to do with monitors and smartphones.

Danner
04-18-2017, 01:31 AM
I'm 50 and have had my face buried in a computer screen for more than 8 hours a day for 25 years and my eyesight is just now starting to go, slowly but surely, average for my age.

ianr
04-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Just to keep the thread going.. HOT VR PRESS

Sir Ridley Scott’s film production company, Ridley Scott Associates, has launched a dedicated virtual reality division.

RSA VR is dedicated to making high-end films in VR, AR and mixed reality.

One of the first projects the new department will work on is a VR experience to tie-in with the forthcoming Alien: Covenant, directed by Scott.

Ridley has a long lineage as a pioneer in creative technology, and RSA’s roster includes incredibly talented directors who understand the unique language of VR.

We are pleased to offer this formidable resource to our clients. RSA said they have 13 directors currently “working in and pursuing projects in VR.

Markc
04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Wow, thats very good news.
Interesting times.

Ernest
04-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Well looks like we're starting to get some actual data on VR being worn for long periods of time:
VR binge-watching world record set at 50 hours: https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/vr-binge-viewing-world-record-virtual-reality-1202032125/

Also, this might be very useful for sculpting. They use passive exercise electrodes to create push-back in virtual worlds: https://youtu.be/OcSmCamMKfs

As for my sight, although my far distance started getting blurry quite early (late 20s), my monitor-distance sight (about arms length) is still flawless.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Seattle VR Hackathon this weekend: if you're interested, GO!!! It's quite inexpensive.

samurai_x
04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Weelllllll, I'm 42 and have been in the computer industry for 20+ years. I still have better than perfect vision. My Mom on the other hand had the same thing until around 45 when she developed press-myopia. She had spent very little time if any around computers.

The fact is your eyesight begins to fail around that age. I'm sure in a few years I'll have the joy of dealing with it but it has little to do with monitors and smartphones.

Your mother could have poor nutrition and diet or likes to read tons of books, bad genes, etc.
And you're the exception not the norm. The fact is the number of people age 30 and below with myopia have increased drastically. When they hit 45 they will have Presbyopia and can't see close objects, too. Double whammy.

I'm sure you watched tons of presentations that are computer related. How many foureyes do you see doing the presentations?:D
How many athletes do you see wearing prescription glasses?
Better to do some HIIT workout 5 mins a day than spend more than 2 hours with VR glasses.

jeric_synergy
04-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Glad so many doctors and researchers are on here to give us the HUGE benefit of their anecdata.

ActionBob
04-19-2017, 07:40 AM
I had myopia long before VR came out.

I play with my VIVE and it is damn cool. The potential for more than games is amazing.

I don't really understand people falling over in VR. I have played many a game that involves a lot of movement and had no issues. I have crawled through dungeons, played racquetball and run around in a tactical multiplayer online shooter in VR; no falls.

Some people don't know how anchor themselves in the real while visiting the virtual.

-Adrian

ianr
04-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Mean While back from the doctor's.........Busy Beaver Chilton

gives us on Liberty3d.com a better experience! JUST RELEASED

VR SCIENTIST rev1

http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/vrscientist/

Dillon
04-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Yeah, the videos of people falling over while wearing a headset are funny, but not generally what happens. I've been rifting for a couple weeks now, a few hours a day, no problem.

Downloaded Google Earth VR for the rift last night. I'm still speechless.

I had myopia long before VR came out.

I play with my VIVE and it is damn cool. The potential for more than games is amazing.

I don't really understand people falling over in VR. I have played many a game that involves a lot of movement and had no issues. I have crawled through dungeons, played racquetball and run around in a tactical multiplayer online shooter in VR; no falls.

Some people don't know how anchor themselves in the real while visiting the virtual.

-Adrian

Dillon
04-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Wow. Facebook is REALLY pushing the AR/VR envelope. The conference they've had this past 2 days was pretty much all AR/VR.

Biggest take away - eventually AR and VR will be inseparable. And we'll be wearing AR smart glasses within 5-7 years (being developed now).

AND.... VOLUMETRIC VIDEO!! This blew me out of the water. There are several companies that are striving to make good quality Volumetric Video (including Microsoft). But Facebook surprised the entire VR/AR community by announcing their volumetric video technology, in partnership with OTOY (yes, makers of OCTANE). It uses AI + computer learning/vision to produce a 3D (moving/animated) scene recorded out of a series of video cameras arranged in a sphere. Said recorded live scene can then be imported into Unity or Unreal to make the video interactive, like in a game.

Check out the video: https://uploadvr.com/facebook-otoy-volumetric-camera/

This will COMPLETELY revolutionize the VFX industry.

LW3D Group???

Yeah, the videos of people falling over while wearing a headset are funny, but not generally what happens. I've been rifting for a couple weeks now, a few hours a day, no problem.

Downloaded Google Earth VR for the rift last night. I'm still speechless.

samurai_x
04-19-2017, 09:53 PM

Yeah that was hilarious. The guy that fell in the video must have very poor body coordination.
I play PSVR with Resident Evil and its totally intense and immersive. But again I wouldn't play it more than 2 hours a day if I want to prevent myopia. I don't want to be visualyl impaired or disabled.

Kaptive
04-20-2017, 01:35 AM
Wow. Facebook is REALLY pushing the AR/VR envelope. The conference they've had this past 2 days was pretty much all AR/VR.

Biggest take away - eventually AR and VR will be inseparable. And we'll be wearing AR smart glasses within 5-7 years (being developed now).

AND.... VOLUMETRIC VIDEO!! This blew me out of the water. There are several companies that are striving to make good quality Volumetric Video (including Microsoft). But Facebook surprised the entire VR/AR community by announcing their volumetric video technology, in partnership with OTOY (yes, makers of OCTANE). It uses AI + computer learning/vision to produce a 3D (moving/animated) scene recorded out of a series of video cameras arranged in a sphere. Said recorded live scene can then be imported into Unity or Unreal to make the video interactive, like in a game.

Check out the video: https://uploadvr.com/facebook-otoy-volumetric-camera/

This will COMPLETELY revolutionize the VFX industry.

LW3D Group???

Sounds about right. The thing is, if they actually achieve it, then we're going to be seeing a lot of new tech and ideas associated with/stemming from it. Entertainment is going to be thrust into a whole new world... literally. It is very possible that screens might die given enough time. Perhaps not the concept of a screen and how it displays data, but the physical aspect will be gone and just projected instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM

You only have to watch (I've posted it above) the Microsoft Hololens advert to understand the scope... or at least hopes of the tech industry for what they want to achieve.

Kaptive
04-20-2017, 01:41 AM
Also, the whole screen thing is already done as seen in the vid below (worth a quick watch)... not to mention some pretty amazing demos. The thing to remember is that this is the tech now... right now. Expensive yes, but there non the less. The personal AR/VR device will probably replace the mobile phone, and all that tech will be moved over to it. So everyone will have one like a telephone. It's gonna be weird...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihKUoZxNClA

ianr
04-20-2017, 05:47 AM
Heres another VR milestone recently hurdled>>>> SAMSUNG_OSTRICH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKd24UCPYY

Quite poignant in its way!

Dillon
04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
I was lucky to be able to try out a HoloLens. I was surprised with how good the tracking was. Walking around the room with these literal holograms talking to me, making eye contact. It was part of a vr/at demonstration, so I was walking amidst people where were not wearing headsets.

It was trippy walking amongst real and virtual people, and all of them talking. Very crazy times ahead!

Also, the whole screen thing is already done as seen in the vid below (worth a quick watch)... not to mention some pretty amazing demos. The thing to remember is that this is the tech now... right now. Expensive yes, but there non the less. The personal AR/VR device will probably replace the mobile phone, and all that tech will be moved over to it. So everyone will have one like a telephone. It's gonna be weird...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihKUoZxNClA

mummyman
04-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Update: http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-medium-1-1-update-brings-major-improvements/