PDA

View Full Version : LW and HDRI - A few questions

Stardust
04-08-2017, 02:12 PM
HI,

I found this challenge online:

http://www.shaders.xyz/forums/topic/challenge-02-candy/

It's basically all about shading, they provide the geometry in Alembic format, HDRI, etc.. and "all" one has to do is shade the candy.

So I load the Alembic file, apply ground texture and colorcard, set-up Image-World and load the HDRI..... According to the Instructions of the challenge, the Light set-up has to match 100%... acording to their instructions, Create an HDRI light and plug in the provided HDRI. Leave the light intensity at 1. Leave the Y-axis rotation at 0.

OK, I know that many things in LW are diferent from other packages... I've spent now all day and I'm not getting anywhere near close to the "lighting reference image" they provide, its supossed to be a 5 minute thing.... And it probably is if you know how, lol....

Any help would be apreciated!

Thank you!

gerry_g
04-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Set up of file done by him and what was downloaded are not the same, 1– there is a set of three references to spherical objects in the Texture Editor much like the set of three entries you would find with an SIBL setup which wraps the HDR but using the Texture Environment tab not the Image World one and once you do this you get a brighter better look (try adjusting rotation and offset), 2– Cameras do not translate from package to package well and the camera is not the same POV as in the rendered image on the site

Stardust
04-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Set up of file done by him and what was downloaded are not the same, 1– there is a set of three references to spherical objects in the Texture Editor much like the set of three entries you would find with an SIBL setup which wraps the HDR but using the Texture Environment tab not the Image World one and once you do this you get a brighter better look (try adjusting rotation and offset), 2– Cameras do not translate from package to package well and the camera is not the same POV as in the rendered image on the site

Ok, so its not really me, nor LW either then.. thnx!

the 3 spheres are the spheres next to the color checker card board

gerry_g
04-08-2017, 03:53 PM
just swap in backdrop options to the texture environment plugin set it to Y open it and load the HDRI, set it to spherical and take a look, I altered the y offset to get more shallow shadow, rotated it about 170 degrees offset it in X and Y till I was happy (I also had Monte Carlo Radiosity turned on and was in s RGB colour space and had ambient set to zero, go play have fun

Stardust
04-09-2017, 04:20 AM
Thank you!

I've been wondering this for awhile, why would one choose one over the other, image world vs. texture enviroment?

tischbein3
04-09-2017, 04:35 AM
they use different projection types:

image world is for lightprobes,
while textured environment can be used for spherical projections (long lat projection)

Stardust
04-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Aren't HDRI's supossed to be in "Linear"?

Stardust
04-09-2017, 05:41 AM
So This is the closest I can match the Shadows..... I know the POV is not the same..

BUT now this looks like this....

In LW it actually looks nice.. this is when saving

My preferences are: