PDA

View Full Version : Which Gaming Laptop for 3D / Octanerender

alexs3d
04-07-2017, 05:36 AM
Hi guys,

i am thinking of buying a new laptop for 3D with a good graphiccart, suitable for octance rendering and playing with hurleys new physx tools.

does somebody know if there are big differences between this new grafixcards, and which one is in this pricerange the best. no over 1500 dollar/euro

do you have some other suggestions for good and not so expensive gaming notebooks

thx

my favourites are these here

with gtx 1050
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebook+kaufberater/hp+omen+15+ax202ng

with gtx 1050 TI
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/ultrabooks/ntb+hp+omen+15+ax204ng#section_properties

with gtx 1050 TI
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/msi+notebooks/msi+ge72+7re+gaming+notebook+gratis+rucksack#secti on_properties

with gtx 1060
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebook+kaufberater/msi+ge72vr+7rf+gaming+notebook

ActionBob
04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
The mobile versions of graphics cards usually do not stack up well against their desktop counterparts. If you are wanting some serious GPU rendering power, I would suggest a desktop.

Just my 2 cents.

The money you would spend on a "3D Gaming" notebook could get you so much more power in a desktop configuration.

The 1050s you are looking at are not only very limited on their cuda cores compared to the full size cards, but also underpowered as well (because notebooks need to worry a lot more about heat).

-Adrian

alexs3d
04-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Hi Adrian,

thx for you feedback, yes i am aware of that, but i have no space at home for a desktop pc and i want to be mobile.

i only do it for hobby and so i think it should be ok.

but in general the 1050TI ist better thant the 1050, and the 1060 is the best of all three, am i thinking correct ?

does somebody know it the 1060 with 3 gig ram ist better that tne 1050TI with 4 gig ram ?

thx alex

JohnMarchant
04-10-2017, 05:38 AM
I would also check out the Dell XPS, one of the best windows laptops currently available. Whilst not a gaming machine per say it is very powerful.

ActionBob
04-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Yes, a 1060 should do you nicely if they offer in a mobile variety. Was thinking that they do offer external graphics cards options for laptops. I have not had the need, so I haven't done my research on that, but perhaps, it would meet your space saving and mobility needs for when you want some extra horsepower at home. Perhaps somebody here as some experience with the external cards for laptops...

The other reason not a fan of laptops is that you can't build your own! I like spec'ing out my new desktop builds and then shopping for the best deal on components to build a smoking machine.

I have a Dell XPS 15 from a few years ago. While a slim package with an i7, the graphics card offerings in it were pretty poor. Also, the thing had fan issues from the get go and had warranty service done a couple of times (albeit, excellent warranty service - but when the laptop cost 1300 bucks, they throw in pretty good warranty service). I have just not had good luck with machines from vendors - they will always make them in the cheapest way possible because the margins on PC's are razor thin. My own builds have been working like champs for years! :-)

-Adrian

2create
04-10-2017, 09:43 AM
I switched from a home PC to a the Dell XPS 15 and I'm very happy so far. I'm pleased with the performance of the i7 and the GTX 1050 (compared with an i7, GTX 770 desktop) and the ability to have 32GB of ram in a laptop is great, this was the only thing that put me off the Razor blade laptop, that and the gamer aesthetic. As ActionBob mentioned, choosing a laptop that has a Thunderbolt 3 compatible USB-C port (ideally with 4x PCI-e lanes) would enable the use of an external GPU.

alexs3d
04-13-2017, 06:28 AM
hi, thx for your tips, i think i will go with this one https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/gaming+notebooks/msi+ge72vr+7rf+gaming+notebook

i7 kaby lake
gtx 1060 3 gb
10 gig ram
ssd + 1000 hdd with 7200rpm
dvd

think thatīs good value for that price

what do you think ?

thx alex

bridgitjohnson
04-15-2017, 06:57 AM
I think laptop with Intel Core i5 or i7 plus GeForce GTX 1050 is already good for basically some heavy stuff like octance rendering and a bunch of graphics-intense tasks. But I think desktop really consumes a lot of power from electricity, so I would rather go with notebook.

alexs3d
05-05-2017, 06:16 AM
I switched from a home PC to a the Dell XPS 15 and I'm very happy so far. I'm pleased with the performance of the i7 and the GTX 1050 (compared with an i7, GTX 770 desktop) and the ability to have 32GB of ram in a laptop is great, this was the only thing that put me off the Razor blade laptop, that and the gamer aesthetic. As ActionBob mentioned, choosing a laptop that has a Thunderbolt 3 compatible USB-C port (ideally with 4x PCI-e lanes) would enable the use of an external GPU.

hi louis,

i habe an eye at the dell xps right now with the gtx 1050, did you test octance with the dell xps 15 yet and what are your experiences.

thanx for your feedback
alex

tyrot
05-05-2017, 06:26 AM
i use Octane since its beta days and i used it with couple of notebooks which i paid almost a fortune. I DO NOT recommend any gtx 1050 s ... they have so less cuda .. plus it is really so slow. Octane needs DECENT GPU with a power supply.
Usually they use M versions of the Gpus .. which totally suck .

And after sometime you will see GPUs are getting so hot SO damn hot that you have another sun in your room. What happens after that? well sudden death! .. Yes no matter what they say i simply threw 2 very good GPU notebooks.

Octanes SUCKS the life out of your GPU in notebook. You may finish may be couple of character renderings .. some low poly scenes but if you go where i go - millions of polygons for archviz render.. IT DIES..

so i warn you .. ..

If you use Adobe GPU cuda things.. well it is ok. Because those apps somehow distribute calculations AFAIK. But OCTANE .. finds a GPU and drains it.

So what to do ? Just know that your GPU and therefore your Notebook life will be very short .. DO not use OCTANE for final heavy scene renders. Just parts may be.. as you work ..

Make yourself a mini pc where you can carry around.. Put inside very decent 1070-1080 s... (or 780 second hand) all is fine.. This is what i have .. 2 mobile pc that i carry for special conditions..

Of course these are my humble experiments. Notebooks cost me thousands of dollars .. I mean it.. Do not burn as i burned... Best wishes!

alexs3d
05-05-2017, 06:42 AM
i use Octane since its beta days and i used it with couple of notebooks which i paid almost a fortune. I DO NOT recommend any gtx 1050 s ... they have so less cuda .. plus it is really so slow. Octane needs DECENT GPU with a power supply.
Usually they use M versions of the Gpus .. which totally suck .

And after sometime you will see GPUs are getting so hot SO damn hot that you have another sun in your room. What happens after that? well sudden death! .. Yes no matter what they say i simply threw 2 very good GPU notebooks.

Octanes SUCKS the life out of your GPU in notebook. You may finish may be couple of character renderings .. some low poly scenes but if you go where i go - millions of polygons for archviz render.. IT DIES..

so i warn you .. ..

If you use Adobe GPU cuda things.. well it is ok. Because those apps somehow distribute calculations AFAIK. But OCTANE .. finds a GPU and drains it.

So what to do ? Just know that your GPU and therefore your Notebook life will be very short .. DO not use OCTANE for final heavy scene renders. Just parts may be.. as you work ..

Make yourself a mini pc where you can carry around.. Put inside very decent 1070-1080 s... (or 780 second hand) all is fine.. This is what i have .. 2 mobile pc that i carry for special conditions..

Of course these are my humble experiments. Notebooks cost me thousands of dollars .. I mean it.. Do not burn as i burned... Best wishes!

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

yes that is also my biggest fear, that the laptop will get damaged cause of heat. But i am only a hobbiest, i also do not have octane yet. My laptop (8 year old macbook) will be replaced in the next month, so when i buy a new one i will be prepared for the future, so i do not have to buy a new one some years later.

so i want a decent grafic card for the future, i do not heavy octance stuff, maybe play around with it and play with hurleys new physix tools.

also the laptop should be ready for LW NEXT ;)

thx

JohnMarchant
05-05-2017, 07:08 AM
If you want heavy scenes and octane then a laptop is no good for that really. A Desktop with as many good graphics cards and cooling is whats needed to leverage octanes power.

Ernest
05-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Maybe one of those laptops that allow you to attach an external desktop video card, like the Alienware one? Would Octane be able to use the external card like games can?