PDA

View Full Version : JVC BR-DV3000U vs Panasonic AG-DV2500

Jim Capillo
12-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Anyone do a comparison on the features of these two units? They look the same to me. Matsush!ta, perhaps?

Gotta buy one soon....

Thanks !

Liber777
12-20-2003, 12:57 PM
The JVC is dual-standard, PAL and NTSC. I'm not sure about the Panasonic...?

Jim Capillo
12-20-2003, 01:54 PM
I think they're identical - feature for feature. Moot point now anyway, I bought the JVC off of eBay (new) for $1300. US, not gray market. They look exactly the same, except for the color, which leads me to think they just plopped their plastic on a manufacturer's chassis.

I'll let y'all know how it works. I know there is a problem with the Pany recording the VT Y/C output..... seems it goes into psuedo-HD mode. Must be something in the VT signal that triggers that.

RBernards
12-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Jim,

I have a DV2500 and it works fine.
Except for the weird Y/C input problem.

Let me know if you get the same "widescreen" results
when recording the Y/C out of T3 to the Y/C
in on the deck.

Other Y/C sources record fine when using the
deck's Y/C in.

And yes the decks are identical internally.
But the Panasonic is few dollars cheaper.

Rick

Jim Capillo
12-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Will do, Rick. :)

One question: Can you see the widescreen effect real-time on the monitor or do you need to play back the tape to see it?

RBernards
12-21-2003, 06:41 PM
No, you only see it on playback.
Everything appears correct when recording
but on playback the picture is cropped into 16:9.

Jim Capillo
12-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RBernards
No, you only see it on playback.
Everything appears correct when recording
but on playback the picture is cropped into 16:9.

Sorry Rick,

The JVC records and plays back fine on Y/C - so either it is something with your deck or something funky with the VT. I went thru the menus and didn't see anything that would seem to affect the Y/C input.

:confused:

RBernards
12-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Jim,

Are you using a SX8?
I am not.

Jim Capillo
12-27-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by RBernards
Jim,

Are you using a SX8?

Yes, I am. I wonder..... :confused:

Paul, anything in the SX-8-less signal that might cause this ????

JonCrowe
01-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Sorry I'm just posting this guys, but I know the solution to the problem. I saw this with my first BR-DV3000. Anything recorded via the S input from VT had the letterbox effect. However, my 2nd BR-DV3000 didn't have the problem. This is a known issue at JVC, and it has do with a specific version of firmware. I sent the "bad" deck into JVC they updated the firmware (under warranty) and all is fine now. Call the nearest JVC field engineer in your area and they can tell you how to check the firmware and where to send the deck. You can find these number under the tech-support page on the JVC Professional website.

Jim Capillo
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
I just bought this deck - it works fine - so apparently it already has the new firmware. Are the Panasonic folks aware of it too?

JonCrowe
01-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Don't know if Panasonic is aware, but I do know they are the same deck with the exception of black or gray plastic. The field engineer in my area (Bennie at JVC) knew of the problem as soon as I described it. We are JVC and Panasonic dealers, but I've only seen the problem in the early JVC decks, plus I believe the JVC was shipping for a couple of weeks before the Panasonic.

Just curious, how do paste links to existing threads? There a couple of threads in community and general about this same topic and I want to pass the word over there.

RBernards
01-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Thank you for the info, Jon.
Strange it was only when the T3 was hooked up via
Y/C that the problem occurred.
It truly was a curious problem as other Y/C sources
recorded fine.

Glad Newtek is in the clear.

I'll send the deck in for the update.

Thanks again.

Jim Capillo
01-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by JonCrowe
Just curious, how do paste links to existing threads? There a couple of threads in community and general about this same topic and I want to pass the word over there.

Just go to the address bar at the top of the page, highlight the URL, copy, then go to the thread you want to post in, then click on the "http" box just above the message box. You'll first get a requestor for the name of the URL, then you paste the url in the second requestor, which is for the actual url.

Beste Video
07-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I am thinking of buying a DV2500.

I am wondering if above problems still remain or current units are are shipped fully OK

Geoff
Beste Video

Perth, Western Australia

Jim Capillo
07-05-2005, 06:32 AM
I am thinking of buying a DV2500.

I am wondering if above problems still remain or current units are are shipped fully OK

Geoff
Beste Video

Perth, Western Australia

They're probably both OK...... It's been a while now and no more complaints about the Panny. My JVC is still running fine !

Beste Video
07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Many thanks for advise Jim.

Cheers
Geoff Beste