PDA

View Full Version : New confidence in Lightwave

Kinetic Shapes
04-04-2017, 04:04 AM
How things change. I am now working for a company wanting to build a editor/motion graphics team over the coming year or two. I was adamant to go the Cinema 4D / VRAY route for all the 3D work. I was fed up of LWs progress which I have used on and off since version LW 5.5 at Uni. Recently looking at the blog overall, recent updates and some other info, we feel it is worth investing in LW initially. We will be purchasing a new license this week and see how it goes. The new NPR finally won me over as it's a tool we will use. I hope the new version will be out within a matter of a few months.

I still have concerns. Motion graphics is a big market and while I am not expecting anything mind blowing in that department this new release, I hope they consider it in their development plans. Blender which I would never have considered previously seems to fill some gaps with it's Animation Nodes add-on for mograph work. We can and may still add Cinema 4D for it's mograph tools, but it is looking less value for money versus features compared to a couple years ago and yet they still keep increasing the price. We will see what Maxons next release brings. If LW next is any good I may even upgrade my personal license from 11.6 :devil:

kopperdrake
04-04-2017, 04:22 AM
Interesting to hear your take on it as someone holding buying clout - good news! :thumbsup:

Norka
04-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Alex, if you have Octane LW, new NPR rendering will soon arrive in Octane (possibly very soon, if it's in 3.1.x), so you will have even more options, if you do a lot of toon stuff... Obviously, Octane would completely smoke LW, if you have the GPUs.

Kinetic Shapes
04-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Alex, if you have Octane LW, new NPR rendering will soon arrive in Octane (possibly very soon, if it's in 3.1.x), so you will have even more options, if you do a lot of toon stuff... Obviously, Octane would completely smoke LW, if you have the GPUs.

Cool. Will look into it.

robertoortiz
04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
I willing to bet that it helps that Autodesk seems to be screwing the pooch lately.

CaptainMarlowe
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Obviously, Octane would completely smoke LW, if you have the GPUs.

Or not... Since we haven't tested and compared the NPR in the new native renderer and in the possible NPR in a future iteration of octane, it's currently only an assumption and not an obvious fact. But I do agree that more options is always a good thing.

Norka
04-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Captain, I was referring to speed. I'll make you a gentleman's bet that Octane will indeed smoke LW in comparable NPR renders. Let's say an i7 5820k vs a single 980Ti. I'll report the results when we have both. ;-)

GraphXs
04-04-2017, 06:57 PM
With LW instances and bullet...ya can probably get away with most motion graphics needs. As well as using the after effects interchange. For the price of LW compared to C4D and VRay....hell you can even buy a boat load of gret plugins for LW and it would be cheaper!

BigHache
04-05-2017, 02:56 PM
If you're using AE in your studio I would recommend taking a hard look at Element 3D. It's not a 100% solution for ALL things 3D, but for mograph it can do a lot of heavy lifting. It does have a few workflow caveats to consider but that's based on how AE works rather than the plug-in itself, and as long as you're aware of them it works pretty well.

jwiede
04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
With LW instances and bullet...ya can probably get away with most motion graphics needs.

Depends on the need for text, a _very_ common MoGraph element. Sensei's plugin helps with text, but LW's text support is quite limited in general.

samurai_x
04-06-2017, 12:56 AM

The 3.1 they announced last april? Its still not out?

lardbros
04-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Welcome back to the community! :)

Was discussing this very thing last night with a mate... C4D really isn't great value for money if you buy everything, being more expensive than Houdini, Maya or 3ds Max... and LightWave sits at the right price point really.

Bryphi on YouTube has tonnes of tutorials on making cool motion graphics stuff, so well worth taking a look at those.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77/videos

ianr
04-06-2017, 05:27 AM
Yep as Lardbros Says... If anyone can squeeze out the juice on Mo Graph its BRYPHI.

Text (Huge & Close -Up) is something that LW3DG should address in Next of NeXt

Norka
04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
The 3.1 they announced last april? Its still not out?

That was part of their roadmap announcement last year. They gave the full plan of everything that will be in the various 3.x versions, and even what will be in v4, including Brigade integration. There has pretty much been steady updates with new features since that announcement. A bunch of OSL features and NPR should all be in 3.1, and that release is imminent.