PDA

View Full Version : Sub D pinchinng

Paul Goodrich
04-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Well I have an odd one here. When I mirror this guy I get pinching in a couple of places. The center line at x 0 and I can't any extra points or polys but I can't get rid of the pinching. I've tried rebuilding it and it's still there. The odd thing is, where the pinch is happening I didn't change anything. Any ideas? Thanks. 136445136446136447136448

Paul Goodrich
04-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Well I found it. I've been using the JS_SymmXMirror Script. However I'm having the same issue just using mirror. Somehow I'm creating extra points almost right on the 0 x axis. And even when I set all of the points to 0 on z and merge it didn't remove them. I had to set my merge up to .7 mm to remove the extra points and fix the pinching.

wingzeta
04-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Maybe that point isn't welded? weld, or merge points. Unlikely, but maybe it is a smoothing error? Try lowering smoothing value on surface to 45 degrees or less. Maybe that point is connected to another point internally? Maybe some junk geo floating around? Delete one and two point polys. Could be a hidden poly behind, or two in the same spot. Those are my best guesses.

Paul Goodrich
04-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Well I found it. I've been using the JS_SymmXMirror Script. However I'm having the same issue just using mirror. Somehow I'm creating extra points almost right on the 0 x axis. And even when I set all of the points to 0 on z and merge it didn't remove them. I had to set my merge up to .7 mm to remove the extra points and fix the pinching.

sorry 0 on X

wingzeta
04-03-2017, 02:16 PM

The other way, would be to lasso around the point (in wireframe for best chance of catching all), and see if it says you have more than one point selected. Then weld if you do.

Paul Goodrich
04-04-2017, 06:41 AM
The other way, would be to lasso around the point (in wireframe for best chance of catching all), and see if it says you have more than one point selected. Then weld if you do.

Yes, that's what I finally did. I tried welding but got weird results. The trick was, as you said, finding where the extra points were and then doing a manual merge slowly increasing the value until just the points I needed to merge did so. Thanks.