PDA

View Full Version : Most silly question ever

magiclight
04-03-2017, 01:05 AM
How do I export an OBJ from Lightwave 2015 ? the manual say that File/Export has an OBJ export menu item but it does not! I don't think there is anything wrong the configuration, it's the same on my 2015.1/.2 and .3 versions

I tried File/Save object and give it an .OBJ extension but that does not work, it still save it as an .LWO so now I am running out of ideas to try.

Lewis
04-03-2017, 01:10 AM
I/O tab in modeler has Export to OBJ, works fine here. Just be sure to select some layers 'coz it exports only selected/active layers.

magiclight
04-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Ok, I wanted to export from Layout, maybe that is not possible ? I do have an Export OBJ under "Modeler tools" tab but that one will just hang Layout, waited 30 minutes for a 20000 polygon object but still just hanging there using 20% cpu, guess I have to use Modeler to get it exported.

Sensei
04-03-2017, 02:27 AM
In LW 2015.3 in Layout, I don't have any "Export OBJ" in IO tab, nor in File > Save, File > Export..
It's only in Modeler.

In Layout "Modeler Tools" there is "Export OBJ". I tried it with ~ 1k polygon model. And worked fine.
Do you tried different path?
Is it saving file, or nothing is generated.. ?

magiclight
04-03-2017, 03:35 AM
It (Modeler Tools/Export OBJ) makes a zero byte sized file, that's all, tried under content directory/Objects and also a separate directory not under contents directory, but I will try again, maybe I did something wrong.

gerry_g
04-03-2017, 03:38 AM
probably because Layout exports files with scene properties attached to them rather than simple object export, so take Lewis' advise and with your object selected in Layout hit the Modeler tab top right to send it to Modeler and export it as an obj or a layered obj

prometheus
04-03-2017, 11:47 AM
In LW 2015.3 in Layout, I don't have any "Export OBJ" in IO tab, nor in File > Save, File > Export..
It's only in Modeler.

In Layout "Modeler Tools" there is "Export OBJ". I tried it with ~ 1k polygon model. And worked fine.
Do you tried different path?
Is it saving file, or nothing is generated.. ?

Not entirely correct, Obj export "lives" under the Layout/ modeler tab and export..as the OP mentioned he tried.

Usually you are better off to edit obj objects in modeler, and preferably not selecting it in layout and switching to modeler, that can cause issues if the object is initially created in Layout, and then toggled subpatched, if the object also isnīt saved, you will get nothing when exporting, and if you subdivide it with toggle subdiv and raising subdiv levels, and think you can save that out directly..think again, you need to freeze it with save transformed, and then also reload it.
So One is better of making sure your object is saved, saved in the right state..and visually active and selected in modeler, then export obj from there.

I tested one export for an object at around 20 000 from layout to obj, no problems and no lag or halting for me.'
Also to note, in layout you can go to Edit/obj options ..where you got many various obj settings to be aware of.

So exporting obj from layout by Layout /modeler tab is possible....gerry
_g ...I donīt think it is correct to say layout export with scene properties (meaning lights, cameras)when you do a simple obj export from layout, what could make things slow is maps, especially vertex normal maps.