PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking UP!

hurley
03-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick announcement that the UP Open Beta for Squirt Gun has officially begun. (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?153204-LW-Unified-Physics-Squirt-Gun-Open-Beta-begins)

Early Bird Pricing of $75 (http://hurleyworks.com/wordpress/portfolio/up/) ends April 1

jasonwestmas
03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Looks like a really good tool for some nice quick effects. Are the upgrades free for when you add in the cloth stuff?

hurley
03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Looks like a really good tool for some nice quick effects. Are the upgrades free for when you add in the cloth stuff?

No, the only free updates will be maintenance/bug fixes. But if you already purchased the framework, each new tool will be for sale for $20-$50 depending how much work they are. And the price of the framework will grow to account for the new features added.

jasonwestmas
03-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Sounds very reasonable thanks Steve!

prometheus
03-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Oh..Gee can you not extend that early bird a week or too, I havenīt gotten round to even try the demo..I will do this week but I need to install new drivers since the demo crashed with the old ones, and I also would need a bit time to try it out.
Just my take on it..itīs a bit short next to the release I think, I think that yould raise the chances of you getting more of it sold initially as well.

erikals
03-25-2017, 12:53 PM
it's only $99 after April 1st, so still quite cheap.
($99 price sticks until release date)

cove
03-25-2017, 01:17 PM
I second prometheus request for early bird offer to be extended.
I do not have a cuda card but do have an AMD card.
In your reply to me about AMD support you said you will be providing an AMD version of your Plugin in a few days.
[Hopefully a Demo version as well].

If you release a demo AMD version at least a couple days before April 1st
that will give me and others time to try it out.
Im only asking for an extention in case you still need more time to resolve unexpected issues.
If everything works fine then likely ill buy into your software.

hurley
03-27-2017, 04:51 PM
In your reply to me about AMD support you said you will be providing an AMD version of your Plugin in a few days.

Im only asking for an extention in case you still need more time to resolve unexpected issues.

Ok, I finally got the AMD version working today but need to test some more before releasing the Demo version... probably tomorrow. So I just extended the Early Bird Special to April 5 to give everyone a better chance to evaluate.

cove
03-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Ok, I finally got the AMD version working today but need to test some more before releasing the Demo version... probably tomorrow. So I just extended the Early Bird Special to April 5 to give everyone a better chance to evaluate.

Thanks for bringing us up to date about AMD version and extending the
Early Bird Special to April 5 much appreciated.

prometheus
03-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Good decision..Thanks steve!

hurley
03-31-2017, 05:05 PM

UP 0_8_1_0 is released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odi2LDx2zGI)now and includes a Direct3D version that works on AMD and NVIDIA cards that support Direct3D 11/12. Make sure to try the demo first!

erikals
03-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Yeyyy!   :)

samurai_x
03-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Cool new features!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uzIpHDVCg
quicktest
vpr starting to choke and will not activate sometimes :D

samurai_x
04-01-2017, 02:20 AM
Good decision..Thanks steve!

Lightwave next isn't going to have its own fluid sim.
April 5 is fast approaching. Absolutely no brainer picking up this plugin now.

Norka
04-01-2017, 07:30 AM
I've only had a chance to play with UP a little since buying it, because I have a ton of real work that doesn't include one drop of water... Like in the car clip above, my water seems to want to bead up, like huge drops, even though I was working at a larger scale on a whitewater rafting type of river scene. Does anyone know how to tweak the watery settings to make the water lay down more on stuff and flatten itself out quicker? Do we need to work with highly exaggerated scales to achieve more realistic water in larger scenes? I must be missing something somewhere, because I have tried all kinds of different settings....

cove
04-01-2017, 09:48 AM
UP 0_8_1_0 is released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odi2LDx2zGI)now and includes a Direct3D version that works on AMD and NVIDIA cards that support Direct3D 11/12. Make sure to try the demo first!

Checked your site for UP 0_8_1_0 but could not see a Demo version will check again later.
Meantime this is the Direct3D version i have at present "Direct3DŪ Version 9.14.10.1171" as shown in my AMD display panel.
Im assuming its not the first number [9] that needs to be 11/12.
There is a number 11 in the last 4 digits and likely means i do have the right Direct3D version ?.
Can you confirm that i have the right version. Thanks.

hurley
04-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Checked your site for UP 0_8_1_0 but could not see a Demo version will check again later.
Meantime this is the Direct3D version i have at present "Direct3DŪ Version 9.14.10.1171" as shown in my AMD display panel.
There is a number 11 in the last 4 digits and likely means i do have the right Direct3D version ?.

Demo version download is the blue button at the top right.

All downloads include both the CUDA and D3D versions of UP
Looks like you have version 9 so it's probably not going to work on your card but there's no harm trying to see if it does.

jwiede
04-01-2017, 07:37 PM

You have version 9 (that first number is the version).

cove
04-02-2017, 05:03 AM
To hurley and jwiede
Thanks for confirming that the first number [9] is the version number.
Im already in communication with AMD over a minor issue and have emailed them again to see
if there latest software/driver version has Direct3D11/12.
Ive already tried to download there latest software/drivers but having an issue.
Have informed them as well about this.
AMD can take several days to respond but have asked them to tell me which Direct3D version as soon as possible.
So its a race against time now hopefully things will be sorted before April 5th.

gerry_g
04-02-2017, 06:03 AM
so just to sound really uber dumb, by AMD GPU support are we still talking Windows only or is this on a Mac with an AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB graphics, being apple supplied drivers finding any ref to them is non existent, Apple likes to keep its faithful as in the dark and as ignorant as possible (rule by fear)

hurley
04-02-2017, 06:05 AM
so just to sound really uber dumb, by AMD GPU support are we still talking Windows only or is this on a Mac with an AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB graphics, being apple supplied drivers finding any ref to them is non existent, Apple likes to keep its faithful as in the dark and as ignorant as possible (rule by fear)

Sorry, UP is still Windows only. We can't make a Mac version until NVIDIA releases a Mac version of the Flex library

prometheus
04-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Itīs gonna be tight..
Can the fluids currently push impellor/turbine wheels? or is that ahead in the development?

I have a spring cleaning by sorting data.. and saving and doing a complete backup before I even install the newer Nvidia drivers, so I wonīt be finished with that until tomorrow, then a few days of testing the UP Fluid engine.

hurley
04-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Can the fluids currently push impellor/turbine wheels? or is that ahead in the development?

Definitely can't do it now and I'm not really sure at the moment that it will be possible in the future. Flex rigid body dynamics are a kind of limited and I'm not going to have time to experiment with them more until I get several other parts of UP finished. So for now, you'd have to animate the turbine wheels yourself and let the water bounce off it.

prometheus
04-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Definitely can't do it now and I'm not really sure at the moment that it will be possible in the future. Flex rigid body dynamics are a kind of limited and I'm not going to have time to experiment with them more until I get several other parts of UP finished. So for now, you'd have to animate the turbine wheels yourself and let the water bounce off it.

Thanks for the info, I thought it should be possible, at least from what I saw from physxengine..but it may be limited as you say, or that you havenīt gotten around to such part.
unfortunatly I havenīt gotten the demo installed, yet..I was spring cleaning..but also my fan in my desktop computer seems to have given up on me, so the computer was hanging a lot yesterday and I just couldnīt get the cleaning and installation of drivers done.
I may have to try it on my laptop, but it will be slower on the cuda etc, and I am not sure I will make it in time before the early bird expires.

I may also want to check if realflow or houdini works nicely with rigid bodies etc, at a decent price though...considering that houdini indie is cheap, what I liked in this UP, is the speed and the ease of use and of course...directly implemented in Lightwave so no need of exports and various formats etc.

prometheus
04-03-2017, 12:52 PM
and why do I get an error of could not create"Could not create log folder in plugin path because of permissions problems, now using your desktop for AP log files"
it could also not find physx libraries, though I just installed gtx560M 378.92 drivers

And does one need to run lightwave as administrator to avoid the errors?

Edited..sorry, I had to little sleep and missed the license code in the read me file..
I got an error of could not load physx library, so I am not getting anywhere here.

hurley
04-03-2017, 01:26 PM
why do I get an error of could not create"Could not create log folder in plugin path because of permissions problems
UP needs to write it's log and config files in the same folder where you put the plugin. You need to make sure that this folder has full write permissions set.

it could also not find physx libraries,
Did you add the CUDA runtime and Flex libraries found in the "put_these_in_LW_distribution_bin_folder" to your LW installation/bin folder?

prometheus
04-03-2017, 01:42 PM
UP needs to write it's log and config files in the same folder where you put the plugin. You need to make sure that this folder has full write permissions set.

Did you add the CUDA runtime and Flex libraries found in the "put_these_in_LW_distribution_bin_folder" to your LW installation/bin folder?

Yep I placed those in the bin folder in program files newtek 2015.3 bin folder , there is no lightwave folder named distribution folder (even though it may be refered as such)
I tried running it as administrator but , that didnīt work, I just recently changed folder rights to full for also user, but sill giving the error of not finding the phyx library..

I cant delete the plugins either, they are locked.

heres the log..
Have to hit the sack now..so if you have any advice and time to check it..then itīs gonna be close.

prometheus
04-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Or is my Laptop Geforce GTX 560M not supported? it was initially set to automatic for physx, but I changed to 560M.

My desktop computer is down due to a probably malfunctional fan, which died on me yesterday..so I probably will not make the early bird if I canīt get going soon, and then it really can wait wihout hurry while I try it or try other fluids.

hurley
04-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Or is my Laptop Geforce GTX 560M not supported? it was initially set to automatic for physx, but I changed to 560M.

My desktop computer is down due to a probably malfunctional fan, which died on me yesterday..so I probably will not make the early bird if I canīt get going soon, and then it really can wait wihout hurry while I try it or try other fluids.

Looks like Geforce GTX 560M has CUDA version 2.1 and UP needs version 3.0.

But it looks like the UP D3D version might work as your card supports D3D 11, so you could give that a try

The log shows you still need to set full write permissions on the folder where UP lives.
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

prometheus
04-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Looks like Geforce GTX 560M has CUDA version 2.1 and UP needs version 3.0.

But it looks like the UP D3D version might work as your card supports D3D 11, so you could give that a try

The log shows you still need to set full write permissions on the folder where UP lives.
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

That log was before I changed the permission, so I have set full permission to all folders/ subvolder in newtek 64 bit folder..otherwise you may be correct, I still get the can not initialize the physx library, which may be due to that my graphics cuda doesnīt support it..and that is a bummer, the question is if d3d would be faster and better?
will have to ty the 3rd version, but I doubt I will jump in on these since it would require me to update to new cards probably, so that will not be fora while I guess..unless directx works decently, whatīs the difference between the cuda and the D3D 11?

Thanks for your fast response though.

prometheus
04-03-2017, 02:38 PM
lightwave crashes when trying the up D3d

hurley
04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
That log was before I changed the permission, so I have set full permission to all folders/ subvolder in newtek 64 bit folder..otherwise you may be correct, I still get the can not initialize the physx library, which may be due to that my graphics cuda doesnīt support it..and that is a bummer, the question is if d3d would be faster and better?
will have to ty the 3rd version, but I doubt I will jump in on these since it would require me to update to new cards probably, so that will not be fora while I guess..unless directx works decently, whatīs the difference between the cuda and the D3D 11?

Thanks for your fast response though.

I can't see any difference in performance here between the D3D version and CUDA versions.

hurley
04-03-2017, 02:42 PM
lightwave crashes when trying the up D3d

Did you add the proper libraries for D3D to your LW distribution bin folder? You can leave the other CUDA based libraries in there

prometheus
04-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Did you add the proper libraries for D3D to your LW distribution bin folder? You can leave the other CUDA based libraries in there

Yes I did, also cleared configs, but it just crashes.

hurley
04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Can you send me the latest log. And can we use the dedicated thread in the 3rd party section for further posts

prometheus
04-03-2017, 03:00 PM
And now I can not even start lw 2015, somehowlthe nvfflex releaseDRD_64dll is asked for as an error message, though I cleared cfg and deleted the plugin.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you send me the latest log. And can we use the dedicated thread in the 3rd party section for further posts

Tomorrow ..if I can get lightwave working again, have to hit the sack, bedtime over here, then a bit of work tomorrow,so it will take some time.

Lighwave working again...I was a fool for trying out something I shouldnīt ..namely test placing the direct3d dll in the directx folder...:bangwall:

But the rest with logs will have to wait till tomorrow, then we may check if itīs possible and if it could be useful for the dedicated thread.

prometheus
04-04-2017, 12:00 PM

weird but...whereīs your mail for sending the logs/dmp files? :)

Felipe Soto
04-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Will wait for the Mac version. Please.

hurley
04-04-2017, 01:42 PM
weird but...whereīs your mail for sending the logs/dmp files? :)

[email protected]

Please don't send dmp files, they are meaningless to me

prometheus
04-04-2017, 02:58 PM
[email protected]

Please don't send dmp files, they are meaningless to me

Ah...thought you needed that, I got no debug tool installed myself, but used an online service to check it, but it may not help you at all then.
Thatīs why I thought I should zip it and send it, and the contact fields doesnīt have any options to send zips....but if you only need the log then I could of course just paste it there.
Unfortunatly ..night time, work soon, and I donīt have time to produce a crash again..not today since I uninstalled UP and have to install again..guess the early bird will pass, but thatīs how it goes.

hurley
04-05-2017, 04:49 AM
Just a quick reminder that the Early Bird Special Price of $75 expires tonight at midnight. Tomorrow the price goes up to $99 and will remain there until one week after Squirt Gun 1.0 ships. After that the prices jumps to $149, so even if you're more interested in cloth, soft bodies and ropes than fluids, you'll save money by getting the UP framework now.

prometheus
04-05-2017, 11:42 AM
I just posted you the log from my mail [email protected]

The crash was almost instant just after the initial error message..so I couldnīt even reach the state of entering a license and try it out.

Also...here is Additional system specs...may be something with DX parameters not setup...could be that drivers for that is needed and I may have missed installation at some point of that.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: Swedish (Regional Setting: Swedish)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G74Sx
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/11 16:59:53 Ver: 04.06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8170MB RAM
Page File: 4666MB used, 11670MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

hurley
04-05-2017, 11:47 AM
I just posted you the log from my mail [email protected]

The crash was almost instant just after the initial error message..so I couldnīt even reach the state of entering license and try it.

Sorry not enough useful info in the log. What was the initial error message?

prometheus
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Sorry not enough useful info in the log. What was the initial error message?

Error
up config file is empty.
Followed by..
Error Lw has crashed.

So you have no use of the lightwave crash dmp files? even if I have had it converted at osronline.com.... so that you could read it in text format?
there are some information about the up in there, but you decide.

hurley
04-05-2017, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE]up config file is empty.
Followed by..
Error Lw has crashed[/QUOTE

Sorry it looks like your card is not capable of supporting either the CUDA or the D3D version of UP unfortunately The UP log shows the crash is in Flex initialization

erikals
04-06-2017, 01:05 AM
gooling, the 560m looks to be a stone-age card.

prometheus
04-06-2017, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE]up config file is empty.
Followed by..
Error Lw has crashed[/QUOTE

Sorry it looks like your card is not capable of supporting either the CUDA or the D3D version of UP unfortunately The UP log shows the crash is in Flex initialization

Thanks for checking It all though, I should of course have suspected that my cards were to old, I guess I have to pass on the pricing this time, and I may have to suffer the larger prices later on...If I decide to buy it, and unfortunately I am not the kind of person that jumps in and invest based on what is seen from others and not tested by myself, the scenarios where I would need it or think I would need it is too much in a veil unless I can test it.
Good thing though, this clearly shows that my computers are aging with me, first my desktop with 480 gtx nvidia card, and the fan that gave up...and then this porbable computer that indicates so well that it has come to an age where it doesnīt sync with more modern developed plugins etc.
Thanks Steve.

gooling, the 560m looks to be a stone-age card.

Gooling?, you fooled me, thought it was some new english :)
Bought the desktop around 2009 I think, and the laptop maybe a year after, so yes...time fly, they are great for many things and my laptop isnīt used as muched as I expected..so it feels kind of weird to invest in a new one because of old cards, when both the desktop and the laptop still can handle so much else with grace, but it rhymes bad with handling the latest 3d tech..so I have started to look at a new desktop..maybe this one..
https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/259067-asus_g11cd-k-nr070t-i7-7700-16gb-1tb_512gb_ssd-gtx_1080_8gb-win_10 , so a bit expensive...2002.532 $

erikals
04-06-2017, 11:23 AM
build your own PC, much cheaper, then buy a used graphics card like i did, much cheaper.
i bought a used 660Ti. no regrets.

prometheus
04-06-2017, 11:49 AM
build your own PC, much cheaper, then buy a used graphics card like i did, much cheaper.
i bought a used 660Ti. no regrets.

I am not that versed in the hardware department...but that may not be the biggest issue, I hate ..have no patience in fiddling with hardware, motors etc..even if I maybe could do it, For My desktop I choosed individual components, but let my brother mount it for me since he was/is way more skilled in hardware
and testing etc..then I bought him a gift for the work...so no, I want to be up and running fast.
Another thing, I would never buy electronics Second hand, so that suggestion is a no no for me.

There are some rules that I tend to follow though,
always nvidia graphics, never a mac, never celeron processors, never amd, I can be a bit stumbled that quite a lot of folks invest in macs ...only to find that there are so many plugins that isnīt developed for Mac or
will not be for a long time, and that may be valid for UP I reckon, if you want a mac, fine for photo and film editing, and if you can afford that together with a pc, thatīs another matter.

Thanks for the advices anyway.

Michael

samurai_x
04-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Hurley has been busy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16NZEp6kbxc&t=14s

Real Time Preview working inside LW"s viewport. :D
The upcoming update will be UP 0_8_5_0. Besides the Preview, there will be ability to create custom Emitters that will send fluid streams out from the mes's vertices along their normals. Also a big bug fix that was preventing water from looking like water.

erikals
04-13-2017, 10:55 PM
yes, lookin' forward to this one  :)

Norka
04-14-2017, 04:47 AM
... Also a big bug fix that was preventing water from looking like water.

YESSSSSSS!!!!! So hopefully it will lay down and spread out more (at larger scales) and not giant beads. It just wasn't even remotely real looking. Thanks for the heads-up sam!

ianr
04-14-2017, 07:44 AM
This is Crankin' upping the Ante , well done H.

Be afraid 'Scanline.L.A. ,Hurley's out to hose you down

samurai_x
04-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Looks iike there will be another update besides the real time viewport previews. :D

Norka
05-09-2017, 04:30 AM
Hey Steve, are things still looking UP? What's goin' on? I've been swamped with (bone-dry) work so I haven't been playing with UP/Squirt, and I was waiting on the next version before attempting to mess with it again... Are you still working on the water stuff and trying to get that all working properly, and um, more stable? I hope you haven't moved on to Flag etc, before making Squirt usable in production...

stevecullum
05-09-2017, 06:06 AM
I think things are most certainly still looking UP ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcVk4rUdW4&t=0s

ianr
05-09-2017, 08:13 AM
I think things are most certainly still looking UP ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcVk4rUdW4&t=0s

Mixed Emotions Steve, you'ave killed Jelly Baby Man,

maybe he'll grow back one Day?

Really tho' Well done !!!

hurley
05-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Hey Steve, are things still looking UP? What's goin' on? I've been swamped with (bone-dry) work so I haven't been playing with UP/Squirt, and I was waiting on the next version before attempting to mess with it again... Are you still working on the water stuff and trying to get that all working properly, and um, more stable? I hope you haven't moved on to Flag etc, before making Squirt usable in production...

Yes, I'm still working hard on getting UP 1.0 out the door. The Preview system took a way longer that I expected and now I've had to write a whole lot of custom code to make some of the emitter parameters animatable, since the SDK panels api I'm using for that section doesn't support E and T buttons. I still have a few things to wrap up for the next update, UP 0_8_5_0, which I'm hoping to get out the door this week.

BTW, the current Demo version for UP 0_8_1_0 has timed out and I'm not going to re-compile it since I'm so close to releasing the next update, when a new Demo will be available.

creacon
05-09-2017, 09:04 AM
now I've had to write a whole lot of custom code to make some of the emitter parameters animatable, since the SDK panels api I'm using for that section doesn't support E and T buttons. .

Why didn't you just put an XPanel control there? And put your controls in the XPanel control?

creacon

stevecullum
05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Mixed Emotions Steve, you'ave killed Jelly Baby Man,

maybe he'll grow back one Day?

Really tho' Well done !!!

Hehe...thanks! I guess my next UP project will be 'rise of the jelly babies' :D

ianr
05-12-2017, 08:42 AM
I got it Steve, & it's freely given.

'The Rise of the Zombie Jelly Babies'

(Coming to a sweet-shop near you Soon)

Maybe all instanced, D.P.Instancer & all MDD offseted, Sweet!

Wireframex
05-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to test the Beta Demo for Cuda (0_8_1_0) but I have this message --> "This Beta Demo has Expired" :(

Is there an other link to download and test it ?
Thanks
Phil

hurley
05-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Hi Phil,

I've allowed the 0_8_1_0 beta to expire because I'm close to releasing UP 0_8_5_0. Right now I'm hoping to release this next beta on Monday but if it doesn't happen, I'll go ahead and recompile 0_8_1_0 so you can give it a try.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Wireframex
05-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Ok thanks Steve :)

stevecullum
05-12-2017, 12:02 PM
I got it Steve, & it's freely given.

'The Rise of the Zombie Jelly Babies'

(Coming to a sweet-shop near you Soon)

Maybe all instanced, D.P.Instancer & all MDD offseted, Sweet!

Actually, this is close to what I had in mind!...Although I need to create a cool rising effect from a vat of sweet goo. 'Mmmm...sweet goo' :)

ianr
05-14-2017, 07:41 AM
Run a reverse Animation after SIM with

extra frame push-in overhead, that portion

set to unseen by camera in renderer.

stevecullum
05-14-2017, 08:08 AM
I've been experimenting with that a bit. Got something usable, but after seeing the melting cow Steve did, I think I'm going to wait for the new toys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBLIssM5_g

hurley
05-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Hi Phil,

I've allowed the 0_8_1_0 beta to expire because I'm close to releasing UP 0_8_5_0. Right now I'm hoping to release this next beta on Monday but if it doesn't happen, I'll go ahead and recompile 0_8_1_0 so you can give it a try.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Bad news is that it turns out I have to wait until UP 0_8_5_0 is ready before making a new Demo. It's almost ready and I have a drop dead deadline of Friday. :)

Here's a new feature that made it in to this release ... animated stiffness for fluid mesh bodies. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPCI9AGg1Hs)

stevecullum
05-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Bad news is that it turns out I have to wait until UP 0_8_5_0 is ready before making a new Demo. It's almost ready and I have a drop dead deadline of Friday. :)

Here's a new feature that made it in to this release ... animated stiffness for fluid mesh bodies. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPCI9AGg1Hs)

That's awesome! - anybody ever tried setting that effect up in realflow? Massive time saver ;)

hurley
05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
The CUDA version UP Demo 0_8_5_1 is available for download now as well as a new pack of simple demo scenes. Here's a quick run through (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqxHLJgi_0) the demo scenes.

This time around the Demo version is full featured except that it does not create any fluid mesh geometry ... only the Preview mode is available.

We're hoping to have the full version available later today. There's a new dll ( SDL2.dll ) that must be put in your LW install/bin folder for those of you who have already been using UP.

erikals
05-19-2017, 04:32 PM
looks Great! :)

wonder, is there any way to texture the fluids? any hacks you could think of ?
Houdini Magma example > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhvfON1buo

edit: just a thought, maybe it could be 'hacked' using foam in a future version.

Norka
05-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Oops. Missed the above post...

Trevor
05-26-2017, 08:26 AM
This tool is great fun ! Here is a simple test scene with d3d version 0.8.1.0 along with dynamite version 1.2 for the vapour.
Would love to see more posts of examples from up users.

Trevor
05-27-2017, 04:51 AM
Trying something a little larger in scope !
Mesh starts out at 256kb at frame 1 , by frame 170 meshes are up to 30mb per object. My fluid meshes folder is already up to 12 gb. :)
Would love to run this simulation for longer, particle count is 200000 but of course the longer it goes the slower it gets and the larger the mesh file sizes become.
Is there a particle count limit within the UP framework ?

JamesCurtis
05-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Looks pretty good. Only thought I have is I wish that there was a way to make the initial water stream look a bit smoother.

Norka
05-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Steve, can you update the news, with 0851 release info? I might get an opportunity to play with UP this weekend and would like that info before fiddling with it.

Kinda funny.. I made a very, very similar river scene with rocks etc, to test UP with.

ianr
05-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Looks pretty good. Only thought I have is I wish that there was a way to make the initial water stream look a bit smoother.

I do Agree Bump+1

Steve can you do a sort Sim Pre-roll to get rid of this?

Or a proxy tube to hide this?

Trevor
05-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Yes, I guess a solution would be to have the emitters off screen and out of shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda funny.. I made a very, very similar river scene with rocks etc, to test UP with.

Would love to see your results when you get around to it.

Norka
05-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Can anyone clue me in as to why there is such a discrepancy between the the previews and the bakes? My previews act like real water running down a river (finally), but my bakes are thick like they were in previous versions. In other words, the new previews physically are like water, and the bakes are like.. umm.. a bodily fluid... What am I missing? Unfortunately SH hasn't given any new info on this release, so I am just randomly trying different settings all over the place, and I don't have much time to fart around with this. I started a new scene with 0851, so it is not one of my old bakes I am looking at...

hurley
05-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Can anyone clue me in as to why there is such a discrepancy between the the previews and the bakes? My previews act like real water running down a river (finally), but my bakes are thick like they were in previous versions. In other words, the new previews physically are like water, and the bakes are like.. umm.. a bodily fluid... What am I missing? Unfortunately SH hasn't given any new info on this release, so I am just randomly trying different settings all over the place, and I don't have much time to fart around with this. I started a new scene with 0851, so it is not one of my old bakes I am looking at...

The Preview is just meant to be a fast but rough approximation of the Bake. It can't match the Bake look because it's there's no geometry created in the Preview, which is why it is still fast as the simulation progresses. Bake mode, as you're probably noticed, slows down as more and more particles need to be converted into the fluid mesh.

To get a more watery look in Bake mode, try using the Watery preset with the Erode filter on and adjust the Filter offset until you get the look you want. Higher offset values will "erode" the mesh more and if you set it too high, you will get no output at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve, can you update the news, with 0851 release info? I might get an opportunity to play with UP this weekend and would like that info before fiddling with it.

Sorry for the lack of response. I've been traveling and just got back. I plan on releasing the D3D version and updating the website with the UP 0_8_5_1 changes early this week.

hurley
05-28-2017, 04:44 AM
Trying something a little larger in scope !
Mesh starts out at 256kb at frame 1 , by frame 170 meshes are up to 30mb per object. My fluid meshes folder is already up to 12 gb. :)
Would love to run this simulation for longer, particle count is 200000 but of course the longer it goes the slower it gets and the larger the mesh file sizes become.
Is there a particle count limit within the UP framework ?

Particle count is limited by the amount of memory on your graphics card. One beta tester reported using 9 million particles interactively on his dual Titan setup. You can use the "Fluid remesh reduction" option in the Preferences tab to reduce output mesh geometry on the fly using Instant-Meshes technology.

TreyX
05-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all you do, Steve! Just bought a few of your awesome plugins today. Kickass stuff, dude! :)

Norka
06-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Maybe SH has moved on to something else... still no updated news (info about 0851)... :-(

hurley
06-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Maybe SH has moved on to something else... still no updated news (info about 0851)... :-(

No, I haven't moved on to anything else. I had to replace my work computer and then spent a huge chunk of time trying to get the D3D version working and didn't want to update the website until it's finished. The D3D Preview is not finished but is rendered now. I'm hoping to have a new update, including the website sometime next week.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have and there's docs that you might find useful here

http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/artisttools/Flex/FLEXUe4_Containers.html