PDA

View Full Version : NDI Workflow Live Sports

jkcw0897
03-23-2017, 07:46 PM
I just wanted to outline our at present workflow for our university's softball broadcasts this spring. Many of the methods being implemented as well as products to accomplish are credit to folks on this board. While there can be frustrations at time the flexibility of NewTek's cost sensitive offerings is what has made us a consistent customer.

While we used NDI up until this point for Livetext, Replay feeds, IP cams etc... we've never fully depended on it for a live broadcast, in this instance across subnets using Access Manager.

Remote location:
Tricaster 460 Running Advanced Edition
4 cams via SDI
EFX Mics embedded via Cameras
Commentators, Talkback and Intercom all embedded into SDI input 4 audio
2 Return feeds from central control room - 1 Carrying Program with Master audio and 1 Carrying Program with Intercom and IFB

Control Room:
Tricaster 8000 Running Advanced Edition
4 Cams and Embedded Audio
Intercom via external mixer
Commentators, Talkback, Intercom and EFX mics dembedded via aux outs and routed into external mixer and partyline intercom
Tricaster Outputs 1, 2, & 3 used to provide Camera feeds to Replay
Newtek Connect or VMix used to provide Camera 4, converted from NDI to SDI
Program sent via NDI to Softball field for commentators and recording
3 Play 440 outputs received via SDI inputs 5 & 6
Zach Schuster's Suite CG product used to feed bug as well as player stats via Statcrew provided XML file - an incredibly cost sensitive solution which we've used for 3 years now.

One of my biggest concerns was sync between sources. We had no issues with this at all. In addition the glove pop from the catcher created some nervousness. Embedding the EFX mics with the cameras assured that these arrived in sync.

The only audio that was handled locally was the commentators so that they didn't hear any delay in their own ears - by the time it was embedded via SDI - across campus via NDI - Dembedded into audio board - IFB added - back into Tricaster - NDI across campus - Dembedded to talent their was a slight delay. IFB was inserted from central control room.

While I don't post a ton our progression broadcast wise is very much a credit to users on this forum and NewTek's continued innovation. Credit to all here.

Radio_TVPat1982
03-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Great post! A couple quick questions.

Do you have a link to any game posted publicly I would like to check them out?

You mentioned subnets and Access manager. I am running in to a problem on some sites trying to just link data for graphics between my TC and laptop. Can you explain more about this?

I want to build something this spring/summer and have it ready for football season. Looking for something both cost effective and very tiny footprint. I already have a TC mini and I am considering using a Mac Mini to feed video sources. I was going to use VMIX so it would also provide me a second full production machine but then I realized VMIX does not run on Mac.

So now I am a bit more open to other options. I already have one Magewell HDMI to USB converter but plan to have a few more or a Thunderbolt converter is I use the Mac Mini.

livepad
03-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Great post! A couple quick questions.

Do you have a link to any game posted publicly I would like to check them out?

You mentioned subnets and Access manager. I am running in to a problem on some sites trying to just link data for graphics between my TC and laptop. Can you explain more about this?

I want to build something this spring/summer and have it ready for football season. Looking for something both cost effective and very tiny footprint. I already have a TC mini and I am considering using a Mac Mini to feed video sources. I was going to use VMIX so it would also provide me a second full production machine but then I realized VMIX does not run on Mac.

So now I am a bit more open to other options. I already have one Magewell HDMI to USB converter but plan to have a few more or a Thunderbolt converter is I use the Mac Mini.

If you want to convert HDMI to NDI on Mac, you will probably want NDI Source
http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-source.html

jkcw0897
03-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Here is a link if wanting to take a look - https://youtu.be/kH4kc04o1B8?t=44m30s

I'd make sure that you have Livetext with the NDI output enabled when installing first off. Also make sure you've installed NDI Tools on the laptop running Livetext- within this is Access manager and you can enter respective IP addresses.

We utilize VMix in some manner on virtually every broadcast we do. It's incredibly flexible and to your point is essentially a second production system. Put a Decklink or similar card in it and you can convert your NDI inputs, RTMP/RTSP and any other source VMIX can accept to SDI.

Radio_TVPat1982
03-27-2017, 11:47 AM
So looks like you are using VMIX with a desktop. I am wanting something compact that can travel real easy so not sure if a desktop is the best solution for me. Running that Sienna TV app with a Mac Mini sure seems like a good solution though.

AElli
04-02-2017, 02:49 AM
So looks like you are using VMIX with a desktop. I am wanting something compact that can travel real easy so not sure if a desktop is the best solution for me. Running that Sienna TV app with a Mac Mini sure seems like a good solution though.

This might not be your ideal solution 'costs wise' but you could use a PCI to thunderbolt enclosure with a laptop. This will allow you to install almost any capture card into the enclosure and grab the sources connected to it in ur chosen s/ware

PIZAZZ
04-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Patrick,

Check your email. I will be sending you something you will like ALOT!