PDA

View Full Version : UBERCAM Resolutions...What do you feel are the best resolutions forSTILLS/ANIMATIONS?

robertoortiz
03-22-2017, 04:49 PM
I have been working with UBERCAM and loving it but I have some questions about best practices for rendering.

I have been following the youtube guidelines and rendering at 7k for my stills, but I am debating about rendering my enviroment animations at 4k and upscale them in After Effects (and render in AE at 7K).
What do you guys think?

I am looking forward to your comments.

mummyman
03-23-2017, 07:57 AM
I guess, no matter what you'll loose quality that way, but whose viewing things at that resolution? On what? If you are in a headset to view... you'll see that difference more than just on a monitor. I've been doing full videos, and the slightest artifacts or changes in percentages go BIG in vr, I've noticed. Chilton or Kat would know more....

robertoortiz
03-23-2017, 01:45 PM
I guess, no matter what you'll loose quality that way, but whose viewing things at that resolution? On what? If you are in a headset to view... you'll see that difference more than just on a monitor. I've been doing full videos, and the slightest artifacts or changes in percentages go BIG in vr, I've noticed. Chilton or Kat would know more....

Well here is the thing, this would be for a kiosk type of presentation, and we would go to the low end and use Google cardboard for the VR.

After talking to a bud of mine who is an VR expert he expressed some concerns about banbwith issues and the fact that lag time is not acceptable in a kiosk type of environment.

SoI might have to scale back on the resolution and maybe go 4k.

-R

Paul Brunson
03-28-2017, 11:28 PM
I've been doing test stills and renders with ubercam and my gear VR on and off for a year or so. I've been rendering at 4096 x 4096 at 60 fps then scaling it down to 3840 x 2160 at 60fps using x265 compression. I've found that is the absolute max I can out of my Galaxy S7 before it folds. And even at that res it doesn't seem to be able to sustain it for more than a few minutes of playback.

I think the oculus and similar can handle 4096 x 4096 at 60fps but I've seen people recommending 3840 x 2160 60fps for desktops as well. So you might be able to get by with rendering at 3840 x 3840 in ubercam and then squashing the vertical to 2160 in post. (Why not render at 3840 x 2160? Last I checked ubercam's stereoscopic 360 cam does strange things when you don't render a square image.)

Also IMHO you should sacrifice resolution before you reduce the frame rate. 60 fps is really a bare minimum for all but the slowest moving animations.

I found the following site to be very informative while I was playing around. https://purplepill.io/blog/best-encoding-settings-resolution-for-4k-360-3d-vr-videos/

mummyman
03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
I've been using stereo / Ubercam @ 3840x3840 and 30fps for video. They have a really good write-up in their docs about resolution and frame rates. So I'm going with that and getting good results for the Samsung. I've yet to try 60fps. I can't afford to loose quality for frame rate... it's got to look good!!!!! So far...so good.

mummyman
03-29-2017, 07:33 AM
I've been doing test stills and renders with ubercam and my gear VR on and off for a year or so. I've been rendering at 4096 x 4096 at 60 fps then scaling it down to 3840 x 2160 at 60fps using x265 compression. I've found that is the absolute max I can out of my Galaxy S7 before it folds. And even at that res it doesn't seem to be able to sustain it for more than a few minutes of playback.

I think the oculus and similar can handle 4096 x 4096 at 60fps but I've seen people recommending 3840 x 2160 60fps for desktops as well. So you might be able to get by with rendering at 3840 x 3840 in ubercam and then squashing the vertical to 2160 in post. (Why not render at 3840 x 2160? Last I checked ubercam's stereoscopic 360 cam does strange things when you don't render a square image.)

Also IMHO you should sacrifice resolution before you reduce the frame rate. 60 fps is really a bare minimum for all but the slowest moving animations.

I found the following site to be very informative while I was playing around. https://purplepill.io/blog/best-encoding-settings-resolution-for-4k-360-3d-vr-videos/

Just reading up on this. I believe I saw it a while ago... confirms why I'm still at 30fps. I export to H265 for the Gear. Such a great codec. I really wish there were more options for it. YOu can't even load an H265 up to Youtube yet. Sadly..

rustythe1
03-29-2017, 09:55 AM
You might want to try H264, it takes a lot less process power to play back as it is less compressed, and is still fine with higher res, it works better over network too, my Samsung uhd struggles with 265 over IP but not with 264

mummyman
03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
H264 caps resolution of 3840x3840 to 2300x2300 or something like that. So I use H264 for testing resolutions. H265 is pretty amazing.

ConjureBunny
04-03-2017, 01:25 PM
When I decided to do over/under as the default render format for Ubercam, that decision came from having written a viewer for Android and I knew the limitations my Note 4 had, especially with regard to speed and throughput. It's been years since I did that though, and I barely remember the issues. I think there's a hard ~4k limit for decompression optimization. That might be different now, but at the time, more than 4096x4096 would result in a significant stutter in video.

My advice, useless as it may be, is to find out the target device and just try it for yourself. One nice thing about Ubercam 2.6's Forward Only render is it will cut down the size of the render considerably, allowing you to do a large (dimensions) render very quickly, and test that.

It should be about the same decompression speed, I think, to have big swaths of black area. I *think* the decompression issue wasn't algorithm based, so much as it was about the size of an integer on some headsets.

Hmm, I could add a checkerboard pattern instead of black, to test that, but that might be useful to exactly four or five people on the planet.

Anyway, try it on your target device. In about a week I expect to have some time to do some benchmarks--I'm curious, too. We have a really cool new test movie that really tests the extents of VR and of Ubercam, that we've started doing as a final flight ritual. I'll look into releasing that publicly soon.

-Chilton

robertoortiz
06-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I finished the first proposal
https://vimeo.com/217264523

Thanks guys for your advice and help

-R

mummyman
06-09-2017, 07:19 AM
I finished the first proposal
https://vimeo.com/217264523

Thanks guys for your advice and help