PDA

View Full Version : AMD May Have Ryzen 16-Core Version and New Chipset in the Works for June

Ernest
03-22-2017, 10:30 AM
https://www.techpowerup.com/231700/amd-may-have-ryzen-16-core-version-and-new-chipset-in-the-works-for-june

the processor will not use the current dual channel AM4 socket. Rather, it will use a cut down version of the Naples based server SP3 socket called SP3r2. SP3r2 and the new chip would be quad channel, putting it in direct memory bandwidth competition with Intel's HEDT lineup.

dsol
03-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Damn, I could do with that now! End of the tax year, and I'm weighing up buying a new Ryzen PC

Paul_Boland
03-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Tests show that Ryzen chips are slower than their Intel equivalent. I'm staying with Intel.

erikals
03-23-2017, 12:57 AM
save Dollars, buy used intel

over the past years i've bought used GPU cards > same performance, less Cash.

willin
03-23-2017, 01:06 AM
Tests show that Ryzen chips are slower than their Intel equivalent. I'm staying with Intel.

The test results that i have read all indicate that the Ryzen chips are faster than their Intel equivalent in everything except gaming. That means faster render times which is what interests me. When the next version of lightwave hits the market and you claim that you are short on cash, as you often claim, and not able to afford the latest we will now know a reason why, after all their is no truer saying than the one that says that "a fool and his money will soon part ways".

erikals
03-23-2017, 01:12 AM
again, buy certain things used.

like GPU / CPU

even with unlucky deals you should save tons of cash in the long run.
i did.

rustythe1
03-23-2017, 02:13 AM
yes and as shown in the marbles test the 1800 was slower than the 5960 the 5960 is nearly 4 years old so you can pick them up second hand easy, there is also the thread about the cheap server boards with dual xeons, intels will also far overclock the amds (you also have the extra costs of needing water cooling as many of the intels will overclock on air, my 5960 runs at 4.5 fine on its stock air cooler)
you will also likely run into problems when trying to use things like octane as currently most drivers only play well with intel platforms (that's the main problem with gaming at the moment,)

Danner
03-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Things are about to get interesting, tho it might take a year or two to really take off:

"120 Watts would be 6 billions rays/s, and get us noise free Octane quality in real time on a single SoC" OTOY CEO Jules Urbach
He is talking about the PowerVR ASIC chips that are currently in development and can scale from 2W all the way up to 120W. The 2W version is called the Wizard GR6500, of which there are only a few currently in existence, it can do 150 million rays/second it would take hundreds of watts on a modern NVIDIA GPU to accomplish the same task.

http://www.roadtovr.com/beaming-the-matrix-into-your-eyes-otoy-ceo-on-the-future-of-real-time-lightfield-rendering/ He talks about it in this podcast at around minute 24:30 Also in this podcast he mentions that Octane will be included with Unity, but I suspect it will only be available for lightfield generation, I doubt they have a business model for Octane if they give it away for free.

cherishjoo
04-03-2017, 03:22 AM
No AMD, always Intel.

Amurrell
04-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Slow performance for Ryzen in many cases are due to GPU bottleneck especially on 1080 resolution games, 4k is a different story, and is due to BIOS, Windows Scheduler and lack of optimization, just because the product is so new. AMD is working on all fronts to improve this and so far BIOS updates have been pushed out giving a significant boost, waiting on Microsoft, GPUs stand alone pretty much here, but a $500 Ryzen 7 still out performs a $1050 Intel i7. Windows also does not, in many cases, ramp up the power settings for performance on AMD chips like it does for Intel yet, so it has to be manually set in your power settings. As a side note, old AMD hardware has shown to perform better on newer software than Intel systems of the same time period, not sure why though. We can't even start with the comparison between AMD Naples and Intel Xeon, because AMD is winning there as well by a good margin. I have been using Intel for a long time now, but AMD has piqued my interest again after all these years. With lower power consumption, increased performance and a much better performance to cost ratio, I could see AMD as a future prospect. But I never buy the first version of anything, so I'll wait to see what Intel comes back with. However, if you're in the market for something new, I don't see how you could go wrong.

bridgitjohnson
04-15-2017, 06:53 AM
I would totally rather to buy $500 mid-range gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 or Core i5. This AMD Ryzen is expensive for me and besides, I'm not really into hardcore gaming. I heard this still doesn't perform that well in 1080p gaming.