PDA

View Full Version : foreground objects selected in layout in modeler

hypersuperduper
03-20-2017, 03:57 AM
Is there a way to foreground the layout selected object in modeler?

While I don't usually need this, because I try to consolidate my objects as much as possible, I am working with a scene with lots or objects and layers in which I need to do lots of copy pasting of geometry between them. In this case it is helpful for me to be able to open an object in modeler by selecting it in layout and hitting f12. This works fine to OPEN the object in modeler and put it in the foreground, but if the object is already open but NOT in the foreground, it doesn't foreground it, and I need to use the layers panel or object picker so swift through my multiple layers and multiple objects. My workaround is to close objects in modeler as much as possible, so I can open them via layout, but something that makes this a pain is that closing objects in modeler is weirdly slow. it takes like 10 seconds to close them, whereas opening them is instantaneous.

If it doesn't exist a useful plugin would be "foreground layout selected" tool, Ideally one that also works for layers. so that I could select multiple layers from multiple objects in layout and tell modeler to place them in the foreground.

ernpchan
03-20-2017, 07:19 AM
.... I could select multiple layers from multiple objects in layout and tell modeler to place them in the foreground.
Can you even do this now? You can have background layers of multiple objects in Modeler. Never seen foreground layers of multiple objects.

hypersuperduper
03-20-2017, 07:46 AM
yeah, you can. I thought for the longest time you couldn't but someone on this forum insisted it was possible. You must select each layer however, you cant select the item itself in the UI catastrophe that is the layers panel.

ernpchan
03-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Oh that is new to me. Some of what you can do is possible via scripting. Not sure about setting foreground layers across multiple objects part.

hypersuperduper
03-20-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm sure it is, but my scripting skills are nonexistent.

Sensei
03-20-2017, 11:14 AM
TrueArt's Modeling Pack has such tool LayerPresetSystem
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

It remembers what layers are foreground,
and which are background,
and then you can toggle between them, using Next Layer Preset, Previous Layer Preset.
There is no limit how many such preset you will make.

Take a look at video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4vNnayylig

It might be interesting for you.