PDA

View Full Version : Modeling in VR

Dillon
03-17-2017, 12:08 PM
I don't care what the naysayers say. Modeling in VR is going to be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1amYsno6Yc

Oculus' Medium sculpting program is turning out to be quite capable. Really really hope LW3D Group is jumping in on creating in VR. Artist created the stranger things monster in "4-5 hours".

Other killer applications for VR - capability of animating (using controllers for motion capture and driving IK handles).

mummyman
03-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Pretty f-ing neat!

Daphne
03-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Very cool!

djwaterman
03-18-2017, 04:31 AM
What is that a demo off, was it sculpted in VR or just being displayed in VR. If the later it's not very impressive.

hrgiger
03-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Of course the actual creature was created in Zbrush. https://www.gnomon.edu/blog/the-secrets-of-aaron-sims-creative-s-creature-designs-for-stranger-things

VR isn't going to be adopted widely as a content creation tool. Current fad that the industry is pouring a ton of money into currently trying to convince you its the next big thing and so they're invested in telling you its the next big thing. It isn't. Sorry, admitted naysayer here.

In any event, no matter your take on it (mine shouldn't matter to you, if you like it more power to you), The Foundry is currently investing research into it which in the best case scenario, will result in better viewport performance out of Modo to make VR content creation feasible. The only upside I see until they come to the same conclusion that VR is a current trend and not a long term one. I have no doubt there is some future tech with VR, but I would say its more in entertainment or science or education, not in content creation. But I would guess LW3DG has a ton on their plate to address before they even think of dabbling in VR in any serious way.

samurai_x
03-18-2017, 10:14 AM
I think what Modo is doing is very risky investing in VR.
But if they somehow could make modo work with Nvidia's voxel gi engine as an offshoot researching vr tech, they could potentially be the first dcc app with real time global illumination in the viewport. That beats gpu renderers.

rustythe1
03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
I agree, I can see one major issue with vr right off, GPU, every one is trying to send software to GPU rendering, 2d and 3d, which means you have problems in other areas, I recently switched to 2 UHD displays, so that means octane will no longer work on my system, and I would now expect VR to fail too as my 980s were only just VR capable when they first came around, but now I am using all the combined resolution between the UHD and Wacom, I don't then want to go out and have to get a complete new system just to run other hardware/ software, also VR has been a lot slower to become mainstream than 3d, which is already on the way out, I think there were only a small handful of new sets this year that still support 3D, and Disney, Ridley, and Cameron are about the only people still making new 3d films, and if I am not mistaken DR Who was about the only tv show to have a 3d episode. The Microsoft hollo was supposed to be mainstream when windows 10 was first released, and still there is only the development edition, and if you want your whole family to watch a VR film? how will that work if you go the MS route you could be looking at 22,000 worth of hardware needed for a family of 4!