PDA

View Full Version : transparent to you, but not to me

smclaugh5
12-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Scenario: Someone sends me a jpeg. I need to use it as an overlay in vt edit or in cg. I need to make a part of the jpeg transparent, and I have photoshop and aura. I know how to select and edit image areas, but not what to do to designate as alpha or transparent, and also which file format to save. Is there a tutorial or tips, and I need somewhat detailed step-by-step please.

Steve McLaughlin

Jim_C
12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Take pic into photoshop.
Use the eraser to erase what part you want to so you can see the background.
Then just save as a photoshop file or 32 bit tga or png, then bring back into ted put on timeline and enable overlay.

Jim Capillo
12-17-2003, 03:12 PM
When you've got the eraser right in PS, you'll see the checkerboard.

smclaugh5
12-17-2003, 04:48 PM
So far it works sometimes, and I had to use the native .psd file. Some files show up as empty, some work fine.

Peter Palesh
12-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by smclaugh5
So far it works sometimes, and I had to use the native .psd file. Some files show up as empty, some work fine.

I've found that in using a .psd file that the bottom layer has to be transparent and anything on top of that needs to be smaller so that there is an empty border in order for it to not show up as all black.

I've given up on using .psd's and do everything now as a .png since I have 100% success (thus far) with that format.

Just make sure that your bottom layer is transparent before saving out as a .png. If the background layer is locked, just rename it and then you can do whatever you want with it.
(The opacity and shadow settings work nice using .png's too :) )

SBowie
12-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
Take pic into photoshop.
Use the eraser to erase what part you want to so you can see the background. Or do the same thing in Aura (or Mirage) using any of the painting tools in Erase mode; or do a little keying to get rid of unwanted areas...

Peter Palesh
12-18-2003, 11:44 AM
I don't know why, but i just can't get the hang of Aura :(

Jim_C
12-18-2003, 11:54 AM
It can be a little awkward, but it is very powerful.
Then once an Aura tricycle turns to training wheels then finally riding unassisted, try Mirage. Talk about Power!

Peter Palesh
12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Dear Mister Santa,

You know if I've been a good little boy or not... I know there was that thing early on in the year... oh and also that other incident. But the town is almost rebuilt and looking better than ever.

If you're listening Mr. Santa, could you please leave some Aura tutorials, or maybe perhaps Mirage, under my Charlie Brown Christmas tree? It's been a slim year and maybe some new technology or some learning aides will help me be more marketable thus helping my business grow to a point where I can give something back to the community around me.

So if you are accepting this letter, I also ask that you accept my most heartfelt apology. Honestly I didn't know that was your daughter. I hope the lime colour paint grows out fast.

Sincerly,
Your friend and pal ;)
Peter

UnCommonGrafx
12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Chuckling,
With such pleading to Santa, I almost thought I was reading one of those lw8 threads!!

Aura is your key to learning things all VT3. Yep, it is quirky. But with it, you should be able to finish that logo in half an hour AND look at it overlayed on top of the video.
Truly, too much functionality for you to run from Aura.

bradl
12-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by smclaugh5
I know how to select and edit image areas, but not what to do to designate as alpha or transparent, and also which file format to save.

As stated above, PNG is generally the easiest and most compatibale with all of VT3. Whatever is visible when you save the PNG in Photoshop is what you get. In other words, you could have many different layers with transparency and make each one visible one at a time while saving and have a bunch of PNG's created from the one PSD.

Try that with TGA and you will pull your hair out as you have to create a selection from the transparency (cntl-click layer), then save selection as new channel (Alpha). Then you have to do that again for each layer you want to save out, but first delete the other Alpha channel first...

You could use Actions or Scripting to speed things up but IMHO it is not worth it, plus you get white or black fringing on most images.

Adobe tried to update TGA to support layer transparency with the intial release of PS 7.0, but users got all worked up because their old TGA no longer worked, that Adobe pulled the new TGA saver and put back the old one. That's progress in reverse! Oh well, their loss, PNG's gain.

The only gotcha with PNG is the internal support for Gamma correction. This is supposed to make images created on a PC look proper on a MAC or SGI and vise versa. However, sometimes it can make your images look a little dark (so I have read) on the same PC, but I have not noticed this problem personally.