PDA

View Full Version : nodal motion using only the Pitch

nnasr.rm
03-13-2017, 02:25 PM
hi,
is there away to use the nodal motion modifier but only have it affect one particular rotation channel?
I am animating two gears that are perpendicular to each other. so ideally when i rotate one on the heading, the other needs to rotate on the pitch channel. but in the motion panel nodal plugin i only have rotation, and position and scale channel as a whole and not the individual axis.
any help greatly appreciated.
i dont like using the follower plugin because it resets my position values! which is very annoying and i have to guess how to position back my object to where it was in 3D space.

Sensei
03-13-2017, 03:39 PM
There are expressions.. Do you tried it?

Also there are scripts LScript and Python.
Make script which is reading value from one object,
convert it,
and modify other object, and make new keyframes..
(and repeat all frames)
It'll bake keyframes.

Skywatcher_NT
03-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Why not use same as item in the motion panel ? You can link the rotations very simple.

dpont
03-13-2017, 03:53 PM
..Or use the nodeItemMotion node editor from DPKit page.

Denis.

Ztreem
03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Rotation & position is given in vector3's so they contain three values in one variable. The easiest way to get one of these values is to convert the vector(vector3) to scalar(float). Use the vector to scalar node and dubble click it to access its options and choose the channel you want to use. Then you need to convert it back to a vector and set it to the channel you want to affect, do this with the make vector node and put the input into the channel you want. Here's a pic of the node setup. I added the values of the item itself so it keeps the rotation that is allready there.

Iaian7
03-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Zstreem's method is how I'd do it using nodal motion as well!

However, you should still be able to use the Follower plugin — simply set the channels you don't want it to override (such as the position channels) to "none" (see attached image). You can layer any number of Follower modifiers this way, overriding only the channels each one should be affecting. Nodal motion is required if you need to blend the data, such as combining self motion with referenced motion (shouldn't be needed for gears, unless you need to add tooth slippage...or to control value offsets using Layout channels instead of the Follower panel).

RebelHill
03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Sky's right... constraints is the quickest and simplest.