PDA

View Full Version : Transparency Artifacts

Chris Jones
03-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask since this seems such an obvious thing, but how come my transparent objects suddenly turn an opaque colour where they overlap enough times?

The colour changes depending on the Backdrop Color (Effects panel), but curiously always renders black in VPR.

Files: 136253

(c:

MAUROCOR
03-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask since this seems such an obvious thing, but how come my transparent objects suddenly turn an opaque colour where they overlap enough times?

The colour changes depending on the Backdrop Color (Effects panel), but curiously always renders black in VPR.

Files: 136253

(c:

Try changing the Ray Recursion Limit to 10. It will fix it.

Chris Jones
03-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Ah that's it - I had a faint idea at the back of my mind that this was down to some simple global setting somewhere.

Thanks Maurocor!

(c:

jwiede
03-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Yep, need one plus as many recursions for however many transparent surfaces you wish camera rays to traverse through -- enough to avoid obvious black transparent objects or reflected facets in view. Obviously the actual contributions per recursion quickly drop to irrelevancy, so typically you can quickly estimate, and then reduce until you see artifacts, to determine needed.