PDA

View Full Version : Kong: Skull Island - Render

erikals
03-09-2017, 03:58 PM
what do you think about the render quality?

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/animalquiz-header.jpg

erikals
03-09-2017, 04:36 PM
anyway...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136254&d=1489109425

thumbnail

prometheus
03-11-2017, 12:32 PM
we need more images of comparison to compare, I reckon they have made advances in general rendering ..lighting and fur rendering which may be better on the new one.
the New skull island gorilla is different in style, to me kong looks more brownish, shorther hair, and more viscious than the older kong version.

Personally I think the new kong style of the body looks much more like a chimp or a human than a gorilla body, and in the older kong version it looks more like a gorilla actually..though it may be of lesser render quality.

They both still have a sense of painted art in the rendering/shading...at least when looked at from certain stills, not sure that is intentional or a mere fact of cg showcasing it is not un par with full realism still.

erikals
03-11-2017, 12:42 PM
the first one is the render,
the second is a Gorilla PhotoShop smackup by me of a real Gorilla

the "painted art" style is usually a result from a biased render (to cut render time) and too much post work.

and this is exactly what i'm talking about. why can't they crank up the render quality.
them being a multigazillion dollar vfx company, it shouldn't be too hard.
.... > annoying.

the render "quality" in this movie is often on par with King Kong from 2005 (agh!)

--------

but rant over, probably a good popcorn movie.

JamesCurtis
03-11-2017, 01:06 PM
My wife and a friend of mine ae going to catch the movie during the week. In 3D BTW.

prometheus
03-11-2017, 01:11 PM
My wife and a friend of mine ae going to catch the movie during the week. In 3D BTW.

Great...bring a banana in case Kong breaks/pops out of the screen.
:)

JamesCurtis
03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Actually, I hope they do manage a few decent POP-OUT scenes in the movie. Too many 3D movies play it safe with Pop-out!! I want to see it push the envelope some for a change.

prometheus
03-11-2017, 02:24 PM
And I found a free kong model on tf3dm, for personal education use or fan art...it is rigged as well ..so the file contains objs, and dae format.
I would recommend to load the dae format in to blender wich converts the rig better than lw, then export it to lightwave in fbx format and the rig should be there.
Apply fiberfx in lightwave..or stay in blender and use cycles render and hair in there.

http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/king-kong-71947.html

prometheus
03-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Size matters said kong to the girl in the movie :)
So ...skull Island, if I could trust wiki, around 30.5 meters tall, so itīs quite a big beastie there as we also could see in the trailers, In Peter Jacksons kong...he was Only 7.6 meters.

I once had the King Kong model as a plastic model when I was a Kid, it had a scary head that was of somekind of self luminiscense material.

prometheus
03-12-2017, 11:23 AM
hereīs a quick mockup of the tf3dm model, if someone just happens to think it is fun to fiddle with, the model polyflow isnīt that good, triangulated and the textures arenīt that good either and in 1024 resolution.
No fur since I am not sure I have time to just play around with it, and especially not if the model and textures isnīt that good..but in particular because I have so many crashes with 2015 and with fiberfx it makes it even more instable.

In this case I imported dae to blender, exported to fbx, with a scale of 100, so the beastie came out as around 15,7 meters, move the armature to inside the gorilla geo mesh, also needed to merge the head with the body which was to meshes, eyes needs reparenting as wel, select all bones and rest them...there would be a need of rest lenght adjustment or weightmaps, especially if you would like to move the jaw.

Sunsky+plus skylight+ radiosity+ two area lights, no fur.:)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136271&d=1489338973

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136272&d=1489339298

Michael

erikals
03-12-2017, 05:50 PM
all considered, looks decent for a few minutes smack.   :)

this is where you'd want Octane for extra quality.

prometheus
03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
all considered, looks decent for a few minutes smack.   :)

this is where you'd want Octane for extra quality.

Yup...only a few minutes to set up the lights and to load some spec textures and normal maps, the normal map is also only just fed directly in to the bump channel here ..so just standard layers only, it could look better with a skin,fresnel model or subsurface model and also applying the normal map properly, that including getting a higher resolution of a texture map ..and to retopo the bad polyflow, and finally add fiberfx.

Octane for extra quality? maybe...Tragicly I have never ever tried any of the demoversions, so I am not sure what it specificly would bring to the table, the lighting? or the normal mapping, surface displacement? or fur?
I will not even bother with checking octane until the next lightwave release is in place...from there I would start to look at all those things I would want, such as turbulenceFD, octane, lw cad, 3rdpowers tools..provided lw looks promising and seem to work with the plugs, then I would only have the headache of choosing what I want, need and can afford according to some priority list.

prometheus
03-13-2017, 11:56 AM
By the way erikals..off topic, I wanted to send you the scenefile I had put up on one of the volumetrics thread where I had an astronaut in the scene with some crappy rocks, and with the godray volumetric setup.
Mail me at [email protected] if you want it, try it out etc.
I wonīt be sending it today..but if I get your mail..I will try and fix it during the week.

jeric_synergy
03-13-2017, 12:20 PM
and this is exactly what i'm talking about. why can't they crank up the render quality.
them being a multigazillion dollar vfx company, it shouldn't be too hard.
Perhaps you should fly out to Hollywood and show them how it's done.

erikals
03-13-2017, 02:47 PM
don't need to. i have plenty of links to people that could have.

it's lucky luck that you find the quality satisfying.